The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite obvious this would be referring to areas that are currently allowed to attend enclosed cinemas and theatres.
Theatres shouldn't have any impact on what's safe for football imo. They'll be operating under a totally different set of rules/conditions to football.

Personally, I wouldn't go near a cinema at the moment.

And where exactly is this appropriate level of support? Clubs are still waiting however many months later that it is.
Hopefully this project big picture will be ****ed off today, and real proposals can be put together.

Personally think the government needs to get more involved both in funds/loans/grants/guarantees but also forcing the issue with the premier league.

This would be the case whether a small percentage of fans are allowed in or not.

Theatres shouldn't have any impact on what's safe for football imo. They'll be operating under a totally different set of rules/conditions to football.

Personally, I wouldn't go near a cinema at the moment.

Bizarre comment.

Hopefully this project big picture will be f’ed off today, and real proposals can be put together.

Personally think the government needs to get more involved both in funds/loans/grants/guarantees but also forcing the issue with the premier league.

This would be the case whether a small percentage of fans are allowed in or not.

Theres absolutely no way the government should be forcing private companies to bail out other private companies, thats literally dictatorship type 3rd world country stuff. Not even legal.

The government has to be the one that bails them out. Project big picture (or something similar) with the appropeiate modifications needs to go ahead without the change in voting structure.

Theres absolutely no way the government should be forcing private companies to bail out other private companies, thats literally dictatorship type 3rd world country stuff. Not even legal.

The government has to be the one that bails them out. Project big picture (or something similar) with the appropeiate modifications needs to go ahead without the change in voting structure.
If they don't do it willingly, the government should force them.

Why should the taxpayer fund millionaire and billionaire owners of football clubs when there's so much money in the game?

Put a tax on transfers or something like that. Rich clubs should play their part without using the situation to seize power.

It shouldn't all be up to football, government needs to provide support as well.

But the FA, the premier league, the PFA and the clubs have enough money to make a contribution.

They're private companies part of an organised body though. No different to placing regulations on other industries.

If they don't do it willingly, the government should force them.

Why should the taxpayer fund millionaire and billionaire owners of football clubs when there's so much money in the game?

Put a tax on transfers or something like that. Rich clubs should play their part without using the situation to seize power.

It shouldn't all be up to football, government needs to provide support as well.

But the FA, the premier league, the PFA and the clubs have enough money to make a contribution.

If an agreement on transfer tax can be made then go for it. No chance the govt can impose that though.

At the end of the day the EFL wants (and needs) more money for its clubs. This is a typical business transaction that needs to be agreed by all interested parties. Dont expect the biggest 6 clubs to give up a large portion of their revenue with nothing in return though. A happy medium needs to be found (that isnt the current proposal obviously as it stands).

The government are not letting L1 & L2 clubs do business and cutting off the majority of their revenue. They are therefore responsible for bailing out those clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't expect clubs to give up money without getting something in return.

Which is why it might have to be taken out of their hands.

The government isn't stopping anyone from trading. But like many businesses in the UK, trading is more difficult as a result of the current restrictions.

So yes, the government needs to help, but the taxpayer shouldn't have to fully fund the private businesses of millionaire and billionaire owners.

I also wonder how much thought was given to the 20% takeover of the EFL.

I'm sure £350m would.go a long way to helping out EFL clubs in need.

It might be that the price wasn't right, or there were unacceptable conditions on the sale. But would be interesting to hear more detail.

I don't expect clubs to give up money without getting something in return.

Which is why it might have to be taken out of their hands.

The government isn't stopping anyone from trading. But like many businesses in the UK, trading is more difficult as a result of the current restrictions.

So yes, the government needs to help, but the taxpayer shouldn't have to fully fund the private businesses of millionaire and billionaire owners.

L1/L2 clubs are probably one of the worst off businesses in UK. High outgoings with most of their income cut off.

These owners will walk away (some are already talking about doing so) if they cant minimise the losses that are forced on them by the government.

Imagine the toll on health and human costs from such a collapse. Imagine the costs of paying benefits to those who lose jobs in the collapse. The costs of all the liquidations & windups.

The government certainly needs to provide assistance here when they are the reason behind the crisis.

L1/L2 clubs are probably one of the worst off businesses in UK. High outgoings with most of their income cut off.

These owners will walk away (some are already talking about doing so) if they cant minimise the losses that are forced on them by the government.

Imagine the toll on health and human costs from such a collapse. Imagine the costs of paying benefits to those who lose jobs in the collapse. The costs of all the liquidations & windups.

The government certainly needs to provide assistance here when they are the reason behind the crisis.
Do you not think the football industry has a responsibility as well?

Can't leave it all to the taxpayer, remember most of these clubs are owned by extremely rich individuals.

The government isn't the reason behind the current situation, the fact that a virus that kills people is spiralling out of control is the reason.

Can't leave it all to the taxpayer, remember most of these clubs are owned by extremely rich individuals.

The government isn't the reason behind the current situation, the fact that a virus that kills people is spiralling out of control is the reason.

I seem to remember suggesting exactly that months ago and I was brushed off and told the government should be supporting the lower league not the better off clubs.

I seem to remember suggesting exactly that months ago and I was brushed off and told the government should be supporting the lower league not the better off clubs.
OK.

Of course, but short term the govt needs to step in at least for L1/L2 teams. Don't forget they have provided support to non league clubs.

Long term an agreement will be reached eventually to redistribute income from the PL to member EFL clubs. That will take time though and any intervention by the govt is going to end in tears.

I also wonder how much thought was given to the 20% takeover of the EFL.

I'm sure £350m would.go a long way to helping out EFL clubs in need.

It might be that the price wasn't right, or there were unacceptable conditions on the sale. But would be interesting to hear more detail.

Good point, it sure would. It may not have been a serious or appropriate offer. I am sure the offer will be leaked if it was genuine & proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back