Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
Now, I understand that the game has had way too many rule changes or “interpretation” changes over the last few years and it has made the game exceptionally confusing and irritating. The stand on the mark rule is an abomination, contact below the knees has been questionable at best, etc. However these changes should not deter us from changing the most irritating rule in the game - The high contact/high tackle rule.

Every game we see players with the ball driving their shoulder into opposition players, or waiting for a tackle before violently swinging their arm upwards to push the tackle to shoulder height with the only intention of drawing a free kick. There are games changed every week by this rule - forwards are making an art form of drawing high contact free kicks within range of goal. Because they are the players actually initiating the contact, they can do this without fear of injury and often the tackler has actively tried to avoid the contact. It drives me crazy. It seems that players like Weightman from the dogs and Ginnivan from Collingwood are building a career off this move. If I see another defender not want to tackle a forward because they are worried that there is no legitimate way to make a tackle I may just lose my s**t.

So lets get back to what the actual intent of the rule is in place for - to protect the head of the player going for the ball. So let’s change the rule as follows:
- A player gets a free kick if the opposition player initiates contact that hits the player in the head.

It is a simple rule, and seems similar to the current interpretation, but there are some important distinctions:
  • The rule currently is a free kick for a tackle that is “over the shoulder”. The new rule would require a player to be hit in the head for there to be a free kick. Not the shoulder, not the lower neck, not the upper arm - only a hit to the head Is a free kick.
  • If the player with the ball initiates contact, it is play on. If a player picks up a ball off the ground and runs into an opposition player - play on. If a player swings the arm upwards to make a tackle slip up the arm - play on.

Rugby League has a similar interpretation to what I am suggesting, and it means that the player with the ball never tries to play for a high contact penalty. They are not willing to pay the price to draw the penalty (ie. they know that the only way they can get a penalty is if they are actually hit in the head, and no player is willing to do this).

If this change was implemented correctly, not only would we get rid of the BS free kicks that are a plague on the game but it would actually reduce the possibility of head injuries as players would not put themselves in the dangerous situation.

For opposition trolls who want to state the obvious, I know that Geelong has players who exploit this rule, just like every club does. I cringe every time I see a Cats player do it.

Rant Over.

Now, I understand that the game has had way too many rule changes or “interpretation” changes over the last few years and it has made the game exceptionally confusing and irritating. The stand on the mark rule is an abomination, contact below the knees has been questionable at best, etc. However these changes should not deter us from changing the most irritating rule in the game - The high contact/high tackle rule.

Every game we see players with the ball driving their shoulder into opposition players, or waiting for a tackle before violently swinging their arm upwards to push the tackle to shoulder height with the only intention of drawing a free kick. There are games changed every week by this rule - forwards are making an art form of drawing high contact free kicks within range of goal. Because they are the players actually initiating the contact, they can do this without fear of injury and often the tackler has actively tried to avoid the contact. It drives me crazy. It seems that players like Weightman from the dogs and Ginnivan from Collingwood are building a career off this move. If I see another defender not want to tackle a forward because they are worried that there is no legitimate way to make a tackle I may just lose my s**t.

So lets get back to what the actual intent of the rule is in place for - to protect the head of the player going for the ball. So let’s change the rule as follows:
- A player gets a free kick if the opposition player initiates contact that hits the player in the head.

It is a simple rule, and seems similar to the current interpretation, but there are some important distinctions:
  • The rule currently is a free kick for a tackle that is “over the shoulder”. The new rule would require a player to be hit in the head for there to be a free kick. Not the shoulder, not the lower neck, not the upper arm - only a hit to the head Is a free kick.
  • If the player with the ball initiates contact, it is play on. If a player picks up a ball off the ground and runs into an opposition player - play on. If a player swings the arm upwards to make a tackle slip up the arm - play on.

Rugby League has a similar interpretation to what I am suggesting, and it means that the player with the ball never tries to play for a high contact penalty. They are not willing to pay the price to draw the penalty (ie. they know that the only way they can get a penalty is if they are actually hit in the head, and no player is willing to do this).

If this change was implemented correctly, not only would we get rid of the BS free kicks that are a plague on the game but it would actually reduce the possibility of head injuries as players would not put themselves in the dangerous situation.

For opposition trolls who want to state the obvious, I know that Geelong has players who exploit this rule, just like every club does. I cringe every time I see a Cats player do it.

Rant Over.
It would make it worse. Over the shoulder is the head, not the shoulder. Who initiated contact? Imagine the confusion on that one with 4 or 5 guys going for the ball at once. If player A initiates contact is player B free to take their head off? That's what you are saying here and good luck in the court cases arising from that change. For all the complaints around "ducking" very few people ever talk about the crap tackling techniques that contribute to the problem. You try and tackle high to lock their arms up and the tackle slides high or they drop then perhaps the answer was to tackle around the waist.

Rant Over.
Seen rugby league players with their cauliflower ears? or heard them speak through their fractured larynxes? It's not overly pretty.
In all seriousness, I don't see a problem with the rule and my impression was that the umps interpreted it so as not to pay a free to a player who ducks into a tackle or initiates the contact anyway.

Seen rugby league players with their cauliflower ears? or heard them speak through their fractured larynxes? It's not overly pretty.
In all seriousness, I don't see a problem with the rule and my impression was that the umps interpreted it so as not to pay a free to a player who ducks into a tackle or initiates the contact anyway.
Rugby league players have not had cauliflower ears for 20 years. You are thinking of rugby union - totally different game. And cauliflower ears aren’t caused by high shots, they are caused by scrummaging.

If you don’t think umps aren’t paying frees where the high contact is initiated or caused by the attacking player then we are watching totally different games. It happens multiple times, every game.

Rugby league has the balance between protecting the ballplayer’s head and penalising high shots pretty close to correct. Much closer to correct than we do in Aussie Rules.

This is completely arse-about.
The problem with the high contact rule is not the number of frees that are paid, it's the far higher number of frees that are incorrectly not paid.
You want to give players more incentive to drive their shoulders into an opposition player? Or more incentive to fling their arm skyward as soon they are tackled across the chest?

Give me strength

You want to give players more incentive to drive their shoulders into an opposition player? Or more incentive to fling their arm skyward as soon they are tackled across the chest?

Give me strength
You want to give players more incentive to illegally jump into the heads and backs of players making the play?

So lets get back to what the actual intent of the rule is in place for - to protect the head of the player going for the ball.

Do you have any evidence that this assumption?

Sure, that is part of it. But I also figured that tackling players over the shoulder is simply too easy, taking away from the skill of the tackle and making flowing play more difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are different situations being spoken of here.

The first is the one where the player with the ball causes or contributes to the tackle going high. This can be through a duck, a bend at the knees, the lifting of an arm, etc. The rules already deal with this - it is not to be paid as a free - so to the extent the free kicks aren’t paid it’s umpiring error (or error in direction to umpires).

The other one is much harder. How do you adjudicate a situation where a player enters a contest to win the ball with body positioned in a way that it is impossible for them not to be tackled high? This happens when players dive head first into a contest or they angle their body auch that their head and neck are very low to the ground. Selwood was a master of this. Arguably it’s just going harder and lower which is fine but what is the tackler to do? Maybe it’s fine that the onus is on the tackler to get it right or get out of the way. I don’t have a good answer for that one.

1651011578312.jpeg

The other one is much harder. How do you adjudicate a situation where a player enters a contest to win the ball with body positioned in a way that it is impossible for them not to be tackled high? This happens when players dive head first into a contest or they angle their body auch that their head and neck are very low to the ground. Selwood was a master of this. Arguably it’s just going harder and lower which is fine but what is the tackler to do? Maybe it’s fine that the onus is on the tackler to get it right or get out of the way. I don’t have a good answer for that one.

For this scenario it is probably worth remembering that players don't have some sort of inherent 'right' to be able to easily lay a fair tackle in every circumstance. Just as sometimes it is very difficult for them to mark a ball, gather a ball, kick the ball well under pressure.

Sometimes the answer to the old "what was I supposed to do?" is "there's not a lot you could do in that situation".

Arguably it’s just going harder and lower which is fine but what is the tackler to do? Maybe it’s fine that the onus is on the tackler to get it right or get out of the way. I don’t have a good answer for that one.
Get out of the way. Fewer tackles would make the game way better.

There are different situations being spoken of here.

The first is the one where the player with the ball causes or contributes to the tackle going high. This can be through a duck, a bend at the knees, the lifting of an arm, etc. The rules already deal with this - it is not to be paid as a free - so to the extent the free kicks aren’t paid it’s umpiring error (or error in direction to umpires).

View attachment 1384982
With scenario 1, if the game was umpired that way we would not have an issue. But high frees are paid in this situation more often than not. The egregious arm fling is the one that is the easiest to identify but it is nearly always paid as a high free.

Re: your second point, I agree that it is harder to adjudicate but I can't stomach a scenario where a player has no legitimate option to contest the play. If a ball player is intentionally putting themselves in the position to get hit high, and the tackler makes a legitimate attempt to tackle them then it should be play on.

For this scenario it is probably worth remembering that players don't have some sort of inherent 'right' to be able to easily lay a fair tackle in every circumstance. Just as sometimes it is very difficult for them to mark a ball, gather a ball, kick the ball well under pressure.

Sometimes the answer to the old "what was I supposed to do?" is "there's not a lot you could do in that situation".
Yeah I probably land in that place. I do think that is the source of a lot of angst though.

If a ball player is intentionally putting themselves in the position to get hit high, and the tackler makes a legitimate attempt to tackle them then it should be play on.
I don’t think that’s it. They are highly tuned, very powerful athletes attacking the ball in the way that is most likely to win them the ball. That’s what we want to see.

I actually thought in the hawthorn game, as the game progressed, that a few of our guys got better at quickly lowering the arms when the hawkers kept dropping down to draw it. And that worked- just be smart about tackles because as it stands, a small forward just has to drop or lean or fall forward and it’s a high tackle that usually results in a goal.

I actually thought in the hawthorn game, as the game progressed, that a few of our guys got better at quickly lowering the arms when the hawkers kept dropping down to draw it. And that worked- just be smart about tackles because as it stands, a small forward just has to drop or lean or fall forward and it’s a high tackle that usually results in a goal.

There has always been that trade-off - a higher tackle above the elbows is more effective, but it is also more likely to be or end up an illegal tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back