Analysis The season so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree in most part, the fade-outs are not helped by the number of new players we have on the list and their fitness not being up to standard.

The game plan, and any attacking game plan relies on quality ball movement and particularly when moving it directly through the middle and CHF. Our skills are still atrocious, nothing has changed in that regard and it will continue to cost us games.

You have to convert your chances otherwise invariably it will come back to bite and we’ve seen that in the last few weeks.

Fly reckons GPS data wasn't down in those last quarter losses. Against the Cats, when they got a run on, I think our half backs lost their discipline, got too desperate to win the ball and got sucked into the pack rather than keeping their spacing and protecting against the ball coming out the front of the pack.

Actually quality ball movement is less required with this system compared to say a WC transition game of previous years. The most simple way I could put it, is that it relies on effort to outnumber at the contest and on the outside of any given contest. All day running from our players between the arcs. It's not personnel reliant compared to that WC example.

Yes conversion is a problem, but obviously that is a work in progress, same with the 'tank' issues, will take time for our younger / inexperienced players to develop that all day running.

You would've noticed guys like Sides and TheGoey (and the rest) being everywhere the ball was, be it i50, d50 or in between. All day two running.

You would've noticed that the last qtr fade outs was the opposition beating us at our own game, as we weren't going to allow them transition footy. We kept the pressure on and they beat us at it.

Regardless it's a fail safe system when we address those issues. Clearly the panel and MC are of a view working towards it, that's why it's a development year or two or three.
The strategy is to move the ball forward at all (or almost all, as we still kick around the boundary as expected when the opposition are set up in defence) costs, and directly. Whether that be a chaos ball or precision kick into the centre. My point is we are biting off more than we can chew going through the middle because our skills are shocking, we turn it over in the worst
Part of the ground with our players streaming towards goal.

We create turnovers at a great cost through our pressure game, and we concede/gift turnovers to the opposition through skill errors with minimal cost from their side. We are at a net loss, especially since we don’t convert from our created turnovers. I wouldn’t call this fail safe. Currently Macrae is coaching as though he’s got a skillful team…which maybe we’ll have one day. I personally think it’s better to coach to maximise the outcomes of the team that you have.

Fly reckons GPS data wasn't down in those last quarter losses. Against the Cats, when they got a run on, I think our half backs lost their discipline, got too desperate to win the ball and got sucked into the pack rather than keeping their spacing and protecting against the ball coming out the front of the pack.
Potentially, would be interesting to see the data though. Is he looking at meters covered, or high speed/intensity plays? How much did top speed and repeat efforts drop off…there are multiple measures to consider there I think.

Also you won’t have a coach openly stating that his team can’t keep up the game plan, essentially saying no matter the score we’ll roll over in the 4th.

Hard to really say without being at the ground I think.

Last edited:

Potentially, would be interesting to see the data though. Is he looking at meters covered, or high speed/intensity plays? How much did too speed and repeat efforts drop off…there are multiple measures to consider there I think.

Also you won’t have a coach openly stating that his team can’t keep up the game plan, essentially saying no matter the score we’ll roll over in the 4th.

Good points.

My point is we are biting off more than we can chew going through the middle because our skills are shocking, we turn it over in the worst
Yes that is skill error, but not at the contest as I thought you alluded. Again that is another work in progress, and keeping the ball 'in contest till we have space outside' seems to be the mantra at the moment. And will probably continue, sharpening skills >outside of contest< i:e as you mentioned through corridor will eventually be a bonus to our less personnel reliant game.

As I've said previously, we need to tempo the game when as you say we run out of fuel to compete at our own game - transition skills required.
We create turnovers at a great cost through our pressure game, and we concede/gift turnovers to the opposition through skill errors with minimal cost from their side. We are at a net loss, especially since we don’t convert from our created turnovers. I wouldn’t call this fail safe.
It's not fail safe >now<, it will come with ability to run and as you suggest sharpen the skills

Potentially, would be interesting to see the data though. Is he looking at meters covered, or high speed/intensity plays? How much did top speed and repeat efforts drop off…there are multiple measures to consider there I think.

These are great questions, however I'd argue, in particular the last against the cats. Contest ball was furious and they seemed to have our number at it. We kept up pressure but they beat us at it and they then had outside ball without pressure - we couldn't keep up.

On top of that, the phone box balls we won (in the last), we transitioned poorly to our outside player(s) and / or 'bit off more than we could chew' through corridor (or wing space). Not to mention the cats from what it looked also mirrored our 'guard grass' game. That disabled easy wing or corridor transition, and allowed to close space on our ball carriers - a complete opposite of the 3rd qtr.

IMO this is a result of fatigue, for the 1st 3 qtrs our pressure was through the roof, post 200 rating. Not something that can be sustained game long.

On your last sentence, this is a bug bear of mine. TV not showing how teams set up forward / behind the ball.

These are great questions, however I'd argue, in particular the last against the cats. Contest ball was furious and they seemed to have our number at it. We kept up pressure but they beat us at it and they then had outside ball without pressure - we couldn't keep up.

On top of that, the phone box balls we won (in the last), we transitioned poorly to our outside player(s) and / or 'bit off more than we could chew' through corridor (or wing space). Not to mention the cats from what it looked also mirrored our 'guard grass' game. That disabled easy wing or corridor transition, and allowed to close space on our ball carriers - a complete opposite of the 3rd qtr.

IMO this is a result of fatigue, for the 1st 3 qtrs our pressure was through the roof, post 200 rating. Not something that can be sustained game long.

On your last sentence, this is a bug bear of mine. TV not showing how teams set up forward / behind the ball.
This.
But don’t underestimate the fact that Geelongs older, harder and more experienced bodies just went up a gear and taught us a lesson.

I was at the game, and lost this in the moment. When I watched the replay I saw we were in every contest in the last 1/4. We just got beaten in them.

The players and coaches would have learned a lot.

Allot of players lost composure, kept handballing forward only for it to eventually get cut off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That ******* West Coast game....argh will haunt us.

We should be 4-2 with a nice %
But to offset that we went remarkably well against Brions, we'll see plenty of up and downs like this for the next couple of years till we hit our straps.

It’s great to watch but we’re winning too many matches!

We need a top5 pick to draft/trade for the top tier full-forward that we so desperately need to become a Premiership threat in the next few years.

I was hoping we’d show great improvement and development this year but still narrowly lose 15+ matches. We’re playing too well!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s great to watch but we’re winning too many matches!

We need a top5 pick to draft/trade for the top tier full-forward that we so desperately need to become a Premiership threat in the next few years.

I was hoping we’d show great improvement and development this year but still narrowly lose 15+ matches. We’re playing too well!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think we'll be alright. There's a couple of tall forward prospect bolters it looks like (Scully from SA, another kid in Vic whose name I forget!), so we may be a chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back