VFL VFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If Teakle had have showed enough maybe we would have. Not sure why were lamenting the non-signing of a potential SSP player who wasn’t able to stake a claim after trialing over summer.
Fair enough.
However, a lot of us are questioning the coaching panel and the selections made these past two weeks.
So maybe they did get it wrong with the SSP - maybe one midfielder instead of two.

Fair enough.
However, a lot of us are questioning the coaching panel and the selections made these past two weeks.
So maybe they did get it wrong with the SSP - maybe one midfielder instead of two.
I remember in the practice match against Roos, the commentary was all positive about the depth we had with talls.

But now we're suddenly too old, too slow, too short, too lazy, too hungover with no depth.

Fair enough.

If it was up to me, we’d have signed Eyre, Sullivan, and Sof but I’m happy to back in those making the call.

Teakle was average for much of what I watched over the summer, didn’t take his chance, yet somehow after 2 losses he’d be a difference maker.

While overall I wasnt highly impressed with Teakle, but the last few weeks prior to the deadline, I thought he looked alright. And once Eyre did his injury, I remember all the reports "Teakle in the boxseat" and they had already written off eyre. But he was clearly so above most that they were already convinced.
I didn't think they would take both mids, so I wondered if they would take eyre. teakle and a mid. But guess they liked the both of bytel and sullivan.
Teakle I believe probably would have been 4th in line, so maybe it was a toss up between Teakle and Bytel..

If it was up to me, we’d have signed Eyre, Sullivan, and Sof but I’m happy to back in those making the call.

Teakle was average for much of what I watched over the summer, didn’t take his chance, yet somehow after 2 losses he’d be a difference maker.

Yeah even though I thought we'd select Teakle because we lack talls (reality or not) there's no way we would have selected him to play in the short term anyway.

Play Frampton if we just need height. We know he'll stick to an opponent like glue. If he takes a mark, kicks a goal, it's a bonus. A bonus we're currently not getting anyway.

Last edited:
Sof was very good yesterday I believe
Not sure. I mean the match report said some nice things. But in the first half that I saw, he almost cost us a goal.
He'll get better. Needs a year in the vfl before he should be considered by anyone.
He was mostly on the last line of defence. He got confused a couple times, who was meant to take the kick in.

He isn't supposed to be a difference maker. An option instead of AJ, Reef, Krueger. Be a target. Maybe take some marks and kick some goals.

Not sure. I mean the match report said some nice things. But in the first half that I saw, he almost cost us a goal.
He'll get better. Needs a year in the vfl before he should be considered by anyone.
He was mostly on the last line of defence. He got confused a couple times, who was meant to take the kick in.

Kick-ins should be a simple rule. Anyone but Ryan.

He isn't supposed to be a difference maker. An option instead of AJ, Reef, Krueger. Be a target. Maybe take some marks and kick some goals.

Not sure how he’d do that at senior level when he struggled to do it at training. I’ll leave it there. People need to move on. If Teakle is the answer, people are asking the wrong question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in the practice match against Roos, the commentary was all positive about the depth we had with talls.

But now we're suddenly too old, too slow, too short, too lazy, too hungover with no depth.
Remember how the media works. They have to drive interactions and impressions.

3c1f2c29fde69acb79de436b4a045e81.jpg

1c632d3519f72f4c18557f9b6e8ecb31.jpg

4548c46555174162e3b9ce70fa86a129.jpg

5406e5809b57e590cf3b5a640c7bdc91.jpg

0eb8056d9950d10469f6eccd43d4ec59.jpg

110a79f3389adbcb129c658b753c0e0e.jpg

f882b7e72fe526556d934ea633dc6d01.jpg

9f7cf28e170a388ba97fa08f09a061b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sky is always falling after a couple of losses. It's amazing how quickly things can turn around. That doesn't mean they will, but one moment on a footy field can spark a team and all of a sudden the mojo is back and all that comes with it. We just can't afford to have that moment too late in the year to be of any use.

The sky is always falling after a couple of losses. It's amazing how quickly things can turn around. That doesn't mean they will, but one moment on a footy field can spark a team and all of a sudden the mojo is back and all that comes with it. We just can't afford to have that moment too late in the year to be of any use.
Agree. The negativity has been insane.

Sure, it's not the start we hoped for, but we have played 2 of what I would consider the best/most talented teams in the comp.

Hopefully we win on Thursday & be 1-2, whilst 10 teams have still only played 1 match.

That may put things into perspective after having played 3 games in 12 days.

Sav and Anthony Rocca down at vfl training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who’s on our list?

There has been some significant list turnover throughout the 2023 off-season, with some experienced names both departing and joining the Club.

Last year’s Co-Captains Lachlan Tardrew and Campbell Hustwaite have both departed the Club after several years of great service. Tardrew has retired from the VFL and will play for home club Sandhurst in 2024, while Hustwaite has signed for the Casey Demons following a summer trialling for an SSP spot on the Club’s AFL list.

A Magpie favourite, Ben Crocker has returned to the Club after four seasons away at both AFL and VFL level and will be a crucial leader for the young VFL list. Alongside him, former Hawthorn midfielder Ned Long has signed on for 2024. At just 20 years of age, the powerful mid will offer great x-factor through the centre of the ground.

A core group of leaders from the 2023 season have also remained, with Campbell Lane, Sam Glover, Kaden Schreiber, Jedd Longmire and Tom Wilson all re-committing for 2024. There will also be key a new group of players, with the likes of Jack Hutchinson, Ryan Sparkes, Harrison Kennedy and Cooper Macdonald all exciting additions to the list.

As always, the VFL side will be strongly supported by those on the AFL-list who are not selected each week. A key theme for the year, as it was in 2023, will be the AFL-listed players playing above the standard of VFL, not only pushing those in the senior side, but lifting the performances of those around them too.

2024 VFL list: Yu Yu Ashwin, Sam Glover, Campbell Lane, Jedd Longmire, Chad Mulvogue, Liam Purcell, Kaden Schreiber, Tom Wilson, Harry Flynn, Rye Penny, Ben Silvagni, Jonathan Tomasiello, Ben Crocker, Boston Dowling, Ned Long, Jack Hutchinson, Harrison Kennedy, Cooper MacDonald, Matt O’Brien, Ryan Sparkes, Connor Willis, Angus Seivers, Sam Sofronidis, Jett Hartman, Josh Mathey, Patrick Farrant, Nicky Christian

DEPARTING: Viv Blackmore-Moore (Banyule), Jacob Booth (Diamond Creek), Ed Delany (retired), Jake Long (retired), Cobi Maxted (Sandhurst), Jovan Petric (Williamstown), Jack Raines (interstate), Lachie Tardrew (retired – Sandhurst), Campbell Hustwaite (Casey Demons), Neville Jetta (retired), Josh Eyre (AFL promotion), Riley Voulanas, Zac Greeves.

Who are the leaders?

With both of last year’s captains in Lachie Tardrew and Campbell Hustwaite departing the Club over the off-season, the leadership group will have a new flavour in 2024.

Campbell Lane and Sam Glover will take the reigns as Co-Captains for the 2024 seasons and years in the leadership group.

Lane, a hybrid player through the midfield and defence, will lead by actions as one of team’s most courageous and experienced players, while Glover’s versatility at either end of the ground holds him in high regard.

How about the coaches?

Josh Fraser will coach the team for a second year and will be well supported by a strong group of assistants.

Andy Otten, Neville Jetta, Chloe McMillan and Harmit Singh will all support as assistant coaches.

On field, Ben Crocker and Tom Wilson will assume the role of development leaders.

Was much improved after half time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back