The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it’s a valid link, but docklands stadiums tenants have won just two premiership since the joint opened.
MCG tenants have won ten. The only factor is for many years the adverse financials in place for docklands tenants were apparent

First game at the new stadium will be immense but

Is there a case of their first ever afl senior game to be at the MCG? Could possibly fill it in the right circumstance
The history of expansion clubs' first game

WCE - home Subiaco
Bris - MCG
Adel - home Footy Park
Freo - MCG
Port - MCG
GC. - Gabba - Carrara construction not finished and wasn't ready until mid season
GWS - home Olympic Stadium vs Sydney, 500m from current home ground Sydney Showgrounds/Giants stadium

Many believe they are going to come out and support the stadium 02 option.

Nah, think it will be Mac Point if they really so support the team. 02 is high risk & expensive to build. Also a property speculation that will result in a second rate cheapo stadium (because the stadium is an excuse for a property speculation).

I dont think he is definitely anti-stadium. Since he openly came out as running for Labor leader, he has brushed away questions on the stadium. When asked directly he just they need to figure if the stadium will even fit on the site first. Which is an interesting thing to say if you are anti-stadium. Why would it matter if it fits or not?

I think the comments about whether the stadium fits at Mac Point is indicative of potentially having an open mind, but as with all things political it could just as easily be looking for a future reason for Labor to oppose Mac Point while backing Stadium 2.0 or another option instead.

Article seems to indicate it can't be relocated off site but can be relocated within Macq Point site.
It says "The Goods Shed will now be protected from demolition or relocation, which may pose a challenge to the proposed Macquarie Point stadium on the site".
Then it reads (quoting Heritage Council Chair) “Any future change to the Goods Shed, including relocation within the property, would need to be consistent with the Heritage Council’s works guidelines.”

Last edited:
Article seems to indicate it can't be relocated off site but can be relocated within Macq Point site.
It says "The Goods Shed will now be protected from demolition or relocation, which may pose a challenge to the proposed Macquarie Point stadium on the site".
Then it reads (quoting Heritage Council Chair) “Any future change to the Goods Shed, including relocation within the property, would need to be consistent with the Heritage Council’s works guidelines.”
Doesn't matter, they can list what they like. The PoSS overrides heritage listings, so it's kind of a non-issue unless some weird politicians decide the goods shed is the hill they want to die on :laughv1:

Interesting - do you have a source to confirm this ?

"The listing is unlikely to derail the government's stadium plans.

The stadium is being assessed as a "project of state significance" by the Tasmanian Planning Commission (TPC), with the assessment criteria effectively overriding other planning laws, including heritage"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stadium is being assessed as a "project of state significance" by the Tasmanian Planning Commission (TPC), with the assessment criteria effectively overriding other planning laws, including heritage"
The heritage listing is just a bit of stunt from those who oppose the stadium to try and put another hurdle in front of it.

It will cost some money (and land) but I suspect they will move it in the end.

There's a Goods Shed in my town on an old railway line and it was converted into a craft beer Cafe.
I'm fact, the entire strip was turned into modern restaurants and cafes.

Would something like that be a possibility perhaps? Creating a foodie precinct right next to or slightly within the stadium boundaries?

There's a Goods Shed in my town on an old railway line and it was converted into a craft beer Cafe.
I'm fact, the entire strip was turned into modern restaurants and cafes.

Would something like that be a possibility perhaps? Creating a foodie precinct right next to or slightly within the stadium boundaries?
That would certainly work but I also I like the idea someone come up with that they use it as a Tassie football museum.

The government has said the private sector will pay any shortfall if they can attract private investors that is.
Who wants to bet me that there is going to be a dirty great big shortfall.
Perth's Optus stadium was expected to cost $700m and ended up at $1600m.
To try and avoid a shortfall, the builders can ask suppliers and tradespeople to do their work foc, but instead of an opening date of 2029 it will become 2039.
Then you have to look at the term 'private investors' and ask if they expect any return on their money.
Nothing wrong with building a stadium, just expect it to cost twice as much as the original quote.

Who wants to bet me that there is going to be a dirty great big shortfall.
Perth's Optus stadium was expected to cost $700m and ended up at $1600m.
To try and avoid a shortfall, the builders can ask suppliers and tradespeople to do their work foc, but instead of an opening date of 2029 it will become 2039.
Then you have to look at the term 'private investors' and ask if they expect any return on their money.
Nothing wrong with building a stadium, just expect it to cost twice as much as the original quote.
The $700m figure touted for Perth was so early in the pre-design process, rendering it an irrelevant guess. Six years out from the opening of the stadium, the anticipated cost was $1.5b.

Five years out from the expected opening of Macquarie Point, the figure is $715m. If they go 10% over, as was the case with Perth, it'll still come in under $800m.

The original quote for the new Hobart stadium was $300m, look at the Taskforce Report.

The $700m figure touted for Perth was so early in the pre-design process, rendering it an irrelevant guess. Six years out from the opening of the stadium, the anticipated cost was $1.5b.

Five years out from the expected opening of Macquarie Point, the figure is $715m. If they go 10% over, as was the case with Perth, it'll still come in under $800m.

The original quote for the new Hobart stadium was $300m, look at the Taskforce Report.
I’m with you on this. We’re all aware that construction costs have gone up; this doesn’t change the fact that it’s only a 23k seat stadium. And yes, it will be a roof, but it will be permanent and made of plastic, so it’s a decent chance of be cheaper than what many are anticipating.

Local business leaders have urged the state government to rethink it's current plans for the stadium as several crossbenches indicate they are going to vote it down. I think they want the government to seriously look at stadium 02 or at an alternative plan,it's going to be a very interesting 6 months ahead for the stadium for sure.

Local business leaders have urged the state government to rethink its current plans for the stadium as several crossbenches indicate they are going to vote it down. I think they want the government to seriously look at stadium 02 or at an alternative plan,it's going to be a very interesting 6 months ahead for the stadium for sure.
In today’s Mercury, Nic Street (Sports Minister) has come out and essentially ruled out Government support for the 2.0 proposal.

As the hopes of 185,000 founding members and extra supporters hang on the construction of a stadium to satisfy the teams of the AFL deal, Mr Street has ruled out any chance of supporting developer Dean Coleman’s Mac Point 2.0 plan.

“The Tasmanian government is getting on with the job to deliver the Macquarie Point Urban Renewal Project,” Mr Street said.

“The project includes a full roofed stadium as per the AFL agreement.

“Funding has been allocated and the formal planning process is under way.

“Given its commitment to deliver the Macquarie Point Urban Renewal Project, the Tasmanian Government is not contemplating involvement in any alternate proposals.

“No extensions of time frames as detailed in the AFL agreement have been contemplated or sought.”

Back