Multiplat The Surge

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Came out today and don't expect a massive reception. I actually preordered since I didn't expect EB to have many copies and sure enough when I got there they had none on the shelf. The guy had to find my copy and even asked what sort of game it was. I only knew about it from current issue of Official Playstation Australia magazine who described it as a possible sleeper hit.

Anyway, to the point. Another 'Souls like' game from Lords of the Fallen developer and probably closer to LotF as opposed to something like Nioh that is far more like Souls. The novelty gimmick of The Surge is being able to target specific limbs to target a weak spot or to just hack off for a chance of resources or gear. You gain tech like you would Souls or Amrita which you use to level up, upgrade and craft gear. What is lacking are typical RPG attributes (like strength, agility etc) but you collect implants that you can use to customise your 'build.' The Surge borrows the weapon proficiency idea from Nioh as well as the Nioh approach to abundant gear and resource drops. Level design is individual areas that are expanded upon with the standard shortcut opening, rather than one massive interconnected world like Dark Souls.

On the PS4 Pro there is a performance and quality option. Performance is default and the 60fps is crisp and probably better suits a game like this. I haven't changed it to quality yet because for some silly reason it requires a game restart.

I've only had a few hours and first boss down so nothing to base a review on but seems pretty solid. Given everyone's backlog at the moment and with what is coming out I don't think you would disappointed with this once it drops to $60.

Excellent, the more that get on it the more advice I can get :D

Been stuck in the second map (central production B) for a few hours. The level is huge and only a handful of shortcuts back to the medbay. A few mobs were owning me hard so I spent a while farming resources to upgrade my gear but these damn repair bots are giving me a hard time. Took the first couple out no dramas but I'm up to these ones that I just can't seem to put enough damage on. Given how long I've been on this level surely I am not far from the boss and am about ready to just start running past these dick faces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back