The Swansong - Departed Musicians

Remove this Banner Ad

Allen Toussaint is dead. Robbo is sad. A New Orleans musician, performer, producer and songwriter. I have a couple of his albums which I listen to when I want to get lost in the joy of music. His collaboration with Elvis Costello 'River in Reverse' is a favourite of mine. The Who and the Rolling Stones both recorded 'Fortune Teller'. The revamped version of 'Live at Leeds' included The Who's version. One day Allen I'll visit the town which inspired your music. Maybe I'll catch up with Dr John. RIP brother and I hope the funeral procession gets people tapping to the beat of the sweet dirges of the city of New Orleans.

Scott Weiland, frontman for Stone Temple Pilots, dead at 48. Absolute foundation stone of my angsty teens...the general stupidness of Velvet Revolver has done nothing to tarnish his work on the three sublime albums released by STP int he 90's.

Not the first time he has died, but doesn't appear he will spring back from this one. RIP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the great front men. Battled the demon all his life, eventually it appears the demon finally won.
Just a great live act. Last saw them play at Festival Hall a few years back, great show even with all the s**t that was obviously going on behind the scenes at the time.
Continue to dance like a boss Scott. RIP
Was a bit surreal watching Cornell at The Palais the day this happened.

Last edited:
I just watched Little Stevie Wright performing 'Friday on my Mind' and 'Evie'. The vibe, the energy, the pure joy is always a reminder of the talent he had in bucketloads. We lost that Stevie a long time ago but thankfully the evidence remains. Peace and love.

Lemmy was a scary looking bloke. I guess that's why he played bass guitar.

I remember doing a rock'n'roll tour of London in 2011 and one of the venues we passed was highlighted as "that's where Pink Floyd and Hawkwind played concerts. They would lock the doors so the crowd couldn't leave". I thought to myself "Hawkwind. I haven't heard that name for a long time".

Lemmy was the bass player in a prog rock band? WTF! Lemmy emerged from the haze and so did Motörhead. I'm not a great fan of Motörhead but I have a couple of albums in the collection. I've seen docos and he's certainly a unique character. The world will be a quieter place without him.

I am getting to that age where bands and rock stars I idolised as a kid are moving on from this world. Doc Neeson last year and now Lemmy. I was a massive Morirhead fan and even though it was from a later album still count Killed by Death as one of the great heavy metal tunes. Ace of Spades, Stay Clean, Shine, Overkill, Iron Fist, Bomber.....need I go on. Great man and a great band. RIP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back