The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Robbo's my hero you’ve been to Cyprus ?

Where did you stay, general low down would be appreciated
Did you hire a car ?

Thanks
This will have to be two part reply. You know women are the best organisers of this activity. A bloke like me might be capable of arranging a flight and then look for accommodation on arrival.

We were there for a wedding and we stayed about a week. The bride and family are from Cyprus.

We landed in Lanarca and stayed in Paphos. We travelled to Paphos and back to Lanarca when we flew out by taxi which wasn’t expensive. Hotels were able to arrange it.

We stayed in a hotel not far from the sea. This is where I need my wife for details. Modest but affordable. Included breakfast. Another couple stayed on the beachfront overlooking the Mediterranean. Spectacular but I’m betting very expensive. The groom’s mum and dad stayed gratis in a highly ornate apartment owned by the parent’s of the bride. They did hire out so I could find out the cost. This was above the Chinese Restaurant that the father and brother ran and like the aforementioned was overlooking the Mediterranean.

We didn’t hire a car and we managed to see a fair bit locally. Roman ruins, church from the fifth century, tombs of various kings etc. If you like that sort of attraction then you’ll be in heaven.

There were a couple of other things to see that would have required a car. Aphrodite and Cyprus have a close connection. You can travel by car from Paphos to see where she emerged from the Mediterranean to begin her relationship with the locals.

It’s starting to look like I took a bit of notice when I was there.

Just a couple of other things. Avoid the seafront cafes etc. Except for the Chinese Restaurant. If you mention John and Mary you’ll be well looked after. You’ll find the locals eating elsewhere.

And the weather. It never changes. We were there in autumn and every day, no breeze and about 30 Celsius.

The landscape is very stark between Lanarca and Paphos. I reckon it might give you a good idea of what middle eastern countries look like.

Lastly. Fly into Larnarca as the flights are cheapest with it as the destination. We stayed a couple of nights in Larnaca and it looked like a good place to stay.

Hope my vague memories help.

This will have to be two part reply. You know women are the best organisers of this activity. A bloke like me might be capable of arranging a flight and then look for accommodation on arrival.

We were there for a wedding and we stayed about a week. The bride and family are from Cyprus.

We landed in Lanarca and stayed in Paphos. We travelled to Paphos and back to Lanarca when we flew out by taxi which wasn’t expensive. Hotels were able to arrange it.

We stayed in a hotel not far from the sea. This is where I need my wife for details. Modest but affordable. Included breakfast. Another couple stayed on the beachfront overlooking the Mediterranean. Spectacular but I’m betting very expensive. The groom’s mum and dad stayed gratis in a highly ornate apartment owned by the parent’s of the bride. They did hire out so I could find out the cost. This was above the Chinese Restaurant that the father and brother ran and like the aforementioned was overlooking the Mediterranean.

We didn’t hire a car and we managed to see a fair bit locally. Roman ruins, church from the fifth century, tombs of various kings etc. If you like that sort of attraction then you’ll be in heaven.

There were a couple of other things to see that would have required a car. Aphrodite and Cyprus have a close connection. You can travel by car from Paphos to see where she emerged from the Mediterranean to begin her relationship with the locals.

It’s starting to look like I took a bit of notice when I was there.

Just a couple of other things. Avoid the seafront cafes etc. Except for the Chinese Restaurant. If you mention John and Mary you’ll be well looked after. You’ll find the locals eating elsewhere.

And the weather. It never changes. We were there in autumn and every day, no breeze and about 30 Celsius.

The landscape is very stark between Lanarca and Paphos. I reckon it might give you a good idea of what middle eastern countries look like.

Lastly. Fly into Larnarca as the flights are cheapest with it as the destination. We stayed a couple of nights in Larnaca and it looked like a good place to stay.

Hope my vague memories help.
Very good thanks Robbo

We’re considering Cyprus at the moment will be early June before the heat & masses
We try to avoid cruise boats but it’s getting rather difficult, did you go to Nicosia?
Cypriot food good?
We didn’t go to Nicosia because of the circumstances. I read a little bit about Nicosia and it looked pretty interesting. You have the experience of a city cut in half but I don’t think there are obstacles in getting to the Turkish side.
I kid you not. If you love a kebab then you’re in the right place! The Cypriots have their own version of tapas (can’t think of the name at the moment). Think Greek food and you’re in a safe place.

We didn’t go to Nicosia because of the circumstances. I read a little bit about Nicosia and it looked pretty interesting. You have the experience of a city cut in half but I don’t think there are obstacles in getting to the Turkish side.
I kid you not. If you love a kebab then you’re in the right place! The Cypriots have their own version of tapas (can’t think of the name at the moment). Think Greek food and you’re in a safe place.
Yeh great thanks so much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re a lucky man Arr0w

Does the coral still wash onto the beach?

I took my wife and young child to Fitzroy Island In 1988.

It’s a special place for me because my mum and her family would picnic at Fitzroy Island when she was young. Hope you had a great day.

And, of course, pfft to Green Island.

You’re a lucky man Arr0w

Does the coral still wash onto the beach?

I took my wife and young child to Fitzroy Island In 1988.

It’s a special place for me because my mum and her family would picnic at Fitzroy Island when she was young. Hope you had a great day.

And, of course, pfft to Green Island.

Plenty of coral still washing up on the beach

Wandered over to the lighthouse, then back the other way and enjoyed an ale or 2 on Nudey Beach, was spectacular

Heading to America for a couple of weeks in early January.

LA
San Francisco
Vegas

Not sure where else. Possibly Houston, New Orleans, or we might just stay in California.

Any tips for the best areas to stay in LA? Haven't been in about 20 years...

Heading to America for a couple of weeks in early January.

LA
San Francisco
Vegas

Not sure where else. Possibly Houston, New Orleans, or we might just stay in California.

Any tips for the best areas to stay in LA? Haven't been in about 20 years...
For me J, LA is a bit meh.
My advice would be to spend more time in San Fransisco, really cool City.
After the City itself head north out towards the Napa Valley, then head further North towards Fort Bragg on the Coast, make your way back to SF along the coastline. Awesome scenery

1361293466c7149f284c6390fdaec77e.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back