Media The Value of a Villain.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Value of a Villain

By Footy "good guy" Pie.

giphy.gif

With the return of okeydoke7 tonight and also dennis crumpet's Heroes vs Villain's thread, it got me thinking about some of the leagues villains and how their presence can coincide seemingly with the strength of the league as whole.

Nobody likes the villain. That's the point. But imagine some of your favourite movies without their antagonist to challenge the humble hero. Imagine Die Hard without Hans Gruber. Imagine Terminator without the Terminators. Imagine Star Wars without Darth Vader. Imagine Batman without The Joker.

How good would Die Hard have been if John McClane had gone to the Christmas party at the Nakatomi building, got a little drunk, had an argument with his estranged wife and then headed home at the end of the night in a foul mood? No terrorists. No "Yippee Ki yay, Muther*er". No Hans Gruber.

It just screams "Blockbuster" doesn't it...

giphy.gif

When I first entered the league I didn't get it. Many will argue I still don't, but that's another thread entirely. Why couldn't everyone just pop into match threads, make some witty one-liner about the other team's ladder position, we sim the match, a winner and loser are declared, we shake hands and go home. Rinse and repeat? It seemed so uncomplicated.

I began to notice that certain posters would take over match threads, arguing relentlessly with their opponent about the fact they had turned their back on their club and switched teams during the off season.

During the off-season media threads would emerge, presenting leadership challenges, as players sort to oust their captain. How absurd, I thought. Don't they know this is fake? Why did they even care?

Everybody complained. These posters were often called every name under the sun. The whole league would seemingly turn on them, and yet, they kept coming back for more. It didn't make sense.

Then some arrogant prick called Okeydoke was handed the Admin job. Unbelievable, I thought. Surely a mistake has been made? But, being the nice guy I am, I let him go about his business running the league. Others did not. He was accused of being "insular". A "Dictator". And worse. He eventually became tired of it, it would seem, and he handed the reins to everybody's favourite poster; a guy that had been awarded the title "best poster" two seasons running, by his peers no less.

However, no sooner than he had sat in the chair vacated by his predecessor, the league's attitude towards him seemed to turn like a flock of starlings avoiding a hawk.

You see, the league had become "boring" in the eyes of the masses and an outlet for their unrest was needed, because, ironically, they had run all the villains out of town.

ayjve34_by_jamesbreaker15-d9karg8.gif

You see posters like Papa Juggs, Nakia, ClarkeM, HaroLad and of course, okeydoke7 had been accused of relying on the same old shtick for too long. The league was bored of them. But like a poor Star Wars pre/sequel, they had to keep dusting off the same old characters because they had no new ideas. No one else had stepped up to the plate. No one was willing to give up the "hero" tag for the good of the league. You see, it's easy to sit back and throw stones at the villains as one of the masses, but it's hard being the one to take the battering each week to keep the children occupied.

This shouldn't need to be explained to everyone, but unfortunately, I think it does. And it says something about the current state of the Sweet FA.

So my question is: Which of you will step up and be the villain the Sweet FA needs for Season 22?

AkupyQ.gif

Last edited:

Don't think I'm even in the same league as any of those blokes.

You're not. :p

...yet.

You've got to start somewhere though.

I would step up Footypie32 but unfortunately I can't be the nefarious villain that this league is crying out for without any minions.

Join me in my plot to overthrow beez Demonjim Wooshette Demonjim Quivorir Blacky. Then together we will take over the world.

download

Last edited:
Agreed. What the hell has Haro done to deserve this?

It wasn't long ago he was a punchline. It takes villains along time to develop their craft properly. I feel he's tried to curb his villain-ness a bit, but he should be careful he does't become another vanilla poster.

It wasn't long ago he was a punchline. It takes villains along time to develop their craft properly. I feel he's tried to curb his villain-ness a bit, but he should be careful he does't become another vanilla poster.
Little chance of that I think.

Dennis Hot Cake, Quiv, akkaps, there are plenty of villains out there still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little chance of that I think.

Dennis Hot Cake, Quiv, akkaps, there are plenty of villains out there still.

Dennis isn't a villain. Not to me anyway. Quiv yes. I couldn't have named him.

akkaps is the Marv of Sweet FA villains...

Home-Alone-Thief-Marv-Respon.jpg

I've been the villain and I've been the nice guy. The results were unsurprising.

As the villain, I am openly despised. Suddenly not rated as a poster in the league. Unpopular. My views suddenly hold less weight.

As the nice guy (S15,16, maybe 17) I was far more liked, ranked in the top 2-3 posters in the league consistently, my opinions were suddenly more valuable.

I know what to do and what to be to be popular. But I also know which version is far more valuable to the league, and that's the villain.

The trick with being the villain, and probably where I missed the mark in S21, was knowing when to be antagonistic and when to tone it down and be serious. The fact is, good villains are villains because they stubbornly stand up for what they believe in. Not those that consistently choose the minority view just to cause chaos, which becomes predictable and boring.

I will touch on this again in one of my upcoming opinion pieces, but I acknowledge that I dug my own grave to an extent in S21. My deliberate continuous attacks on TFW (all of which he knew were coming) meant I was the boy who cried wolf. When there actually was a genuine issue that was one of the biggest farces in the history of the league, and a situation where the committee and SFA public were grossly misled, nobody cared. Nobody cared anymore. It didn't matter what had happened to me. I was the villain, looking for another excuse to complain. The apathy shocked me, but was a direct result of my own villain act.

The Value of a Villain

By Footy "good guy" Pie.

giphy.gif

With the return of okeydoke7 tonight and also dennis crumpet's Heroes vs Villain's thread, it got me thinking about some of the leagues villains and how their presence can coincide seemingly with the strength of the league as whole.

Nobody likes the villain. That's the point. But imagine some of your favourite movies without their antagonist to challenge the humble hero. Imagine Die Hard without Hans Gruber. Imagine Terminator without the Terminators. Imagine Star Wars without Darth Vader. Imagine Batman without The Joker.

How good would Die Hard have been if John McClane had gone to the Christmas party at the Nakatomi building, got a little drunk, had an argument with his estranged wife and then headed home at the end of the night in a foul mood? No terrorists. No "Yippee Ki yay, Muthergoose". No Hans Gruber.

It just screams "Blockbuster" doesn't it...

giphy.gif

When I first entered the league I didn't get it. Many will argue I still don't, but that's another thread entirely. Why couldn't everyone just pop into match threads, make some witty one-liner about the other team's ladder position, we sim the match, a winner and loser are declared, we shake hands and go home. Rinse and repeat? It seemed so uncomplicated.

I began to notice that certain posters would take over match threads, arguing relentlessly with their opponent about the fact they had turned their back on their club and switched teams during the off season.

During the off-season media threads would emerge, presenting leadership challenges, as players sort to oust their captain. How absurd, I thought. Don't they know this is fake? Why did they even care?

Everybody complained. These posters were often called every name under the sun. The whole league would seemingly turn on them, and yet, they kept coming back for more. It didn't make sense.

Then some arrogant prick called Okeydoke was handed the Admin job. Unbelievable, I thought. Surely a mistake has been made? But, being the nice guy I am, I let him go about his business running the league. Others did not. He was accused of being "insular". A "Dictator". And worse. He eventually became tired of it, it would seem, and he handed the reins to everybody's favourite poster; a guy that had been awarded the title "best poster" two seasons running, by his peers no less.

However, no sooner than he had sat in the chair vacated by his predecessor, the league's attitude towards him seemed to turn like a flock of starlings avoiding a hawk.

You see, the league had become "boring" in the eyes of the masses and an outlet for their unrest was needed, because, ironically, they had run all the villains out of town.

ayjve34_by_jamesbreaker15-d9karg8.gif

You see posters like Papa Juggs, Nakia, ClarkeM, HaroLad and of course, okeydoke7 had been accused of relying on the same old shtick for too long. The league was bored of them. But like a poor Star Wars pre/sequel, they had to keep dusting off the same old characters because they had no new ideas. No one else had stepped up to the plate. No one was willing to give up the "hero" tag for the good of the league. You see, it's easy to sit back and throw stones at the villains as one of the masses, but it's hard being the one to take the battering each week to keep the children occupied.

This shouldn't need to be explained to everyone, but unfortunately, I think it does. And it says something about the current state of the Sweet FA.

So my question is: Which of you will step up and be the villain the Sweet FA needs for Season 22?

AkupyQ.gif

Me?

I've been the villain and I've been the nice guy. The results were unsurprising.

As the villain, I am openly despised. Suddenly not rated as a poster in the league. Unpopular. My views suddenly hold less weight.

As the nice guy (S15,16, maybe 17) I was far more liked, ranked in the top 2-3 posters in the league consistently, my opinions were suddenly more valuable.

I know what to do and what to be to be popular. But I also know which version is far more valuable to the league, and that's the villain.

The trick with being the villain, and probably where I missed the mark in S21, was knowing when to be antagonistic and when to tone it down and be serious. The fact is, good villains are villains because they stubbornly stand up for what they believe in. Not those that consistently choose the minority view just to cause chaos, which becomes predictable and boring.

I will touch on this again in one of my upcoming opinion pieces, but I acknowledge that I dug my own grave to an extent in S21. My deliberate continuous attacks on TFW (all of which he knew were coming) meant I was the boy who cried wolf. When there actually was a genuine issue that was one of the biggest farces in the history of the league, and a situation where the committee and SFA public were grossly misled, nobody cared. Nobody cared anymore. It didn't matter what had happened to me. I was the villain, looking for another excuse to complain. The apathy shocked me, but was a direct result of my own villain act.

Your like to post ratio is healthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back