2nds The WSU Giants 2018 NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our NEAFL team is not very good at all. You know you’re in trouble when one of your best players has been retired for three years.

I’ve only seen the third quarter and 12 minutes of the last, but nobody is sticking their hand up for next week. Nobody deserves it.

Bonner has been good. Impressed by the little I’ve seen from Daniels (who just kicked our first for the half) but there hasn’t been anyone else.

Our NEAFL team is not very good at all. You know you’re in trouble when one of your best players has been retired for three years.

I’ve only seen the third quarter and 12 minutes of the last, but nobody is sticking their hand up for next week. Nobody deserves it.

Bonner has been good. Impressed by the little I’ve seen from Daniels (who just kicked our first for the half) but there hasn’t been anyone else.
I watched the last 3 quarters and completely agree.

Nga8rA3.png

SIq3ITM.png

Team for the game v Southport on the GC
12 listed players + Addison
Good to see Perryman back in and as he has had a stop start season so far hopefully he gets a good run and it over the next few weeks to press for selection and the club needs Bonar and Cumming to have good games to put their hands up for selection
Not sure on Steins injury but he was missing last week and not included in the injury list
Comment from the NEAFL website preview

2. Kicking efficiency has been an issue for the GIANTS this season, kicking at about 52 per cent compared to the Sharks who are ranked third in the competition with a kicking efficiency of almost 63 per cent. Going inside 50 has also been an issue for the GIANTS, who are ranked ninth in the competition for inside 50s, compared to the Sharks who are ranked first.

B: 21. Matthew Buntine 39. Tim Mohr 44. Baylee Jones
HB: 13. Isaac Cumming 15. Sam Taylor 49. Nathan Coxall
C: 40. Will Spencer 10. Aiden Bonar 51. Oliver Hicks
HF: 16. Brent Daniels 28. Zach Sproule 26. Dawson Simpson
F: 33. Harry Morrison 41. Jack Buckley 45. Lachlan Tanner
Foll: 30. Matthew Flynn 46. Dylan Addison 36. Harry Perryman
Inter: 48. Bradley Ashcroft 52. Tyh Evans 29. Miles Bridgland 53. Bailey McParland
Emer: Jarrod Karo Clarrie Barker
In: 36. Harry Perryman 44. Baylee Jones 49. Nathan Coxall 40. Will Spencer 51. Oliver Hicks 53. Bailey McParland 48. Bradley Ashcroft 52. Tyh Evans
Out: 53. Tom Dickson (omitted) 25. Lachlan Keeffe (AFL) 43. Dylan Buckley (AFL) 52. Josh Buchanan (Academy) 40. Lachie Squire (Academy) 48. Liam Russell (Academy) 49. Harry Grant (Academy) 29. Isaac Williams (Academy) 47. George Kendall (unavailable)

New: 40. Will Spencer 51. Oliver Hicks 48. Bradley Ashcroft

From the stats at least the AFL listed players are getting numbers they should be but the injury list means that they will struggle with combinations and also playing the role they would if they stepped up to the AFL which is a big concern for me and the development of the players. Don't think it will change in the short term but it is good to see the standard of the non AFL teams improving with ex AFL players and ex academy players scattered throughout the teams
Report from AFL.com
State league affiliate: GWS Giants (NEAFL)
This weekend: Southport v GWS Giants - Saturday, May 5, 12pm, Fankhauser Reserve

Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming, Harry Perryman, and Tim Mohr were the shining lights for Giants in what was a dirty day.

Taylor gathered 32 possessions (21 kicks, 11 handballs) and took 15 marks, while Cumming had 27 touches (20 kicks, seven handballs).

Perryman picked up 26 disposals (15 kicks, 11 handballs) and kicked a goal, and Mohr collected 15 possessions (12 kicks, three handballs) and booted a goal.

The Giants went down by 86 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtain raiser v the Swans this week and not sure if the academy has another round this weekend but hopefully they can put out a strong team and get a win
Swans have been struggling due to injuries and only had 11 listed players for the weekends loss
grimlock Tough loss on the weekend, it seems that poor goal kicking has cost your team a lot over the last few years. I have a question as to if you know the rules about how Dylan Addison can play for the UWS Giants and if the Swans have a similar player?

The academy series is on at the moment so it must be a case of the best academy kids not playing get a game and exposure to a professional level which is good for them but makes it hard for the listed players only meeting them the morning of the game or the day before
I think an AFL Reserve grade would have been put in place if they had not (and rightly so) tipped all their spending money into AFLW.

But it needs to be on the radar.

no mention of Bonar and why he didn't play but it could be he was with the seniors or he was held back for this weeks game
I had thought I'd heard that Cumming was the travelling emergency, but looking at the original emergencies list of Bonar, Cumming, Simpson, Mohr - since the latter 3 all played NEAFL it had to be Bonar. So, presumably close to a debut. Of the other options, their write-ups from the NEAFL coach:

Isaac Cumming – 33 disposals, 9 marks, 2 tackles
“‘Cheese’ was good and he played a different role for us. We put him in the midfield for the first half to expand his footy knowledge and experience and he did really well, having 19 touches in the first half.” Wonder if this was a test of whether he could take a wing position in first grade?

Harry Perryman – 27 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles
“Coming up against a good midfield in a couple of their players, he did really well. He gave us first use out of there a lot and was very clean with his possessions.”

Matt Buntine – 16 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles
“Bunts is definitely someone I love to have in my side, he’s extremely courageous, goes back with the flight of the ball without hesitation and he did that well on the half-back flank. In the second half, we put him in the midfield to let him have a run around, and he was just very diligent and very reliable in there.” Wonder how long before we put him back in first grade - he could release Lachie back into midfield to resume a wing position.

Brent Daniels – 12 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle
“Brent Daniels up forward had a tough day, the ball didn’t come down there a lot. But in his second game now, he’s showing some really good signs for us when the ball’s in hand. He’s still working on when the ball’s not in hand, becoming that small forward pressure player.”

Dawson Simpson – 7 disposals, 6 tackles, 3 marks

“Dawson had a big challenge against Thurlow, who is an experience ruckman for them, and I thought our rucks won the battle. Winning the hitouts was pleasing, but it was also pleasing that Dawson had six tackles, which is something he’s been working on. It was great to have a big man do that.”

They would have given Bonar game time if they could have. Don't think he will be in the frame for a senior debut this week.

They could have had him play a half to get some kms in his legs so we can see if anything is in the injury report and wait till thursday but looking at game time maybe Cumming is more likely, I just think Bonar is better suited to a forward/mid role which is what is needed

They could have had him play a half to get some kms in his legs so we can see if anything is in the injury report and wait till thursday but looking at game time maybe Cumming is more likely, I just think Bonar is better suited to a forward/mid role which is what is needed
Agree there is a role there for Bonar. I think there is a slot there for Cumming too. At the moment Lachie and Griff are playing off half back, but we are missing some run in the midfield (Lachie) and polish up front (Griff). I acknowledge Griff has started up front and swung down back as required.

Agree there is a role there for Bonar. I think there is a slot there for Cumming too. At the moment Lachie and Griff are playing off half back, but we are missing some run in the midfield (Lachie) and polish up front (Griff). I acknowledge Griff has started up front and swung down back as required.

My preferred back 7 would be
Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Corr Finlayson
Griffen
I like experience down back and if Cumming/Perryman was down there I could see more errors/clangers and with the focus on defensive pressure in the AFL it would be hard for them to adjust
Doedee is an example of what it takes to make a successful adjustment although a different team and 2nds league but 2 seasons to break into the AFL

I had thought I'd heard that Cumming was the travelling emergency, but looking at the original emergencies list of Bonar, Cumming, Simpson, Mohr - since the latter 3 all played NEAFL it had to be Bonar. So, presumably close to a debut. Of the other options, their write-ups from the NEAFL coach:

Isaac Cumming – 33 disposals, 9 marks, 2 tackles
“‘Cheese’ was good and he played a different role for us. We put him in the midfield for the first half to expand his footy knowledge and experience and he did really well, having 19 touches in the first half.” Wonder if this was a test of whether he could take a wing position in first grade?

Harry Perryman – 27 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles
“Coming up against a good midfield in a couple of their players, he did really well. He gave us first use out of there a lot and was very clean with his possessions.”

Matt Buntine – 16 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles
“Bunts is definitely someone I love to have in my side, he’s extremely courageous, goes back with the flight of the ball without hesitation and he did that well on the half-back flank. In the second half, we put him in the midfield to let him have a run around, and he was just very diligent and very reliable in there.” Wonder how long before we put him back in first grade - he could release Lachie back into midfield to resume a wing position.

Brent Daniels – 12 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle
“Brent Daniels up forward had a tough day, the ball didn’t come down there a lot. But in his second game now, he’s showing some really good signs for us when the ball’s in hand. He’s still working on when the ball’s not in hand, becoming that small forward pressure player.”

Dawson Simpson – 7 disposals, 6 tackles, 3 marks

“Dawson had a big challenge against Thurlow, who is an experience ruckman for them, and I thought our rucks won the battle. Winning the hitouts was pleasing, but it was also pleasing that Dawson had six tackles, which is something he’s been working on. It was great to have a big man do that.”
I will swear black and blue that I saw Cumming in the rooms in training gear on Friday. Reckon that he flew back early to play NEAFL. Bonar is the mystery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back