The Zen thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We are all die-hards desperate for the misery to end. Many of us are also struggling with balancing the unbreakable support for the club with the seemingly unending despair and misery that comes from actively engaging with its on-field performance.
How are you dealing with it? How can you combine undying passion with healthy perspective and necessary detachment?

Me, I've started to pay less attention to details. I don't read every thread here. I feel like the mid season draft and even the end of season one is just kind of news rather than something that can have an impact on the club fortunes. We will recover from this. Or we won't. We have reached the point where the big question is the only question, and the minutia isn't going to be what swings it. It will be about the core strength of the club, tthe mental strength of our top-end talent and, yes, the attitude of the AFL. These are things we can't tweak at the selection table or lose with a freak injury. No, from the outside the critical things will be fuzzy, guessed at only by the ambiguous symptoms that reveal themselves. Is that grumpy outburst a good sign that people are "fed up and determined to turn things around"? Or a "sign that they have lost it and the club is coming apart"? Are the smiles on faces at training signs of players staunchly maintaining morale or having checked out?

I will still watch the games, painful as it is. I will still cheer every goal and curse every turnover, as if it signifies something more than it would to simply read the entrails of Boris the Chicken. The Big question is Big, and it's right in our face. But I won't be devastated that we pick A over B in the MSD. No, in some ways the die is cast. We have Sonja, Jen, Clarko. And there is Laura Kane and Andrew Dillon. I will "trust the club". But not because I know anything, with more of a sense of Karma than calm. in the same way I trust the oncoming cement-mixer not to veer into my lane.

And I'll share the gallows humour of all who have lost hope. Thank god for the "Sum up our Season in a Gif" thread.

If it never turns, I will grieve. But if it does, and even if we are going nowhere as a middling team, I will squeeze out and savour every drop of joy.

Last edited:
My coping strategy is an immature one but it works -

• we are sticking the fat better than any other group of supporters in the modern era
  • when our fortunes finally turn, do you want to be a supporter who bailed and came back or one that suffered through every painful loss to get there? One is infinitely easier than the other and deserving of far less respect.

Last we have hope. At some point, we're going to get a win. And another and then another. We're going to wake up one morning and realise we've been so crap for so long that we are not on the way to being another mid strength team (remember the calls for us needing to get some good draft picks for once?) but rather our that our list is stacked to the gills with talent and that this shit show is finally over for real.

One last thing - we're the first club to self combust and not have the AFL gift us priority pick after priority pick until we're good again. That is something to be proud about.

This is how I deal with things.

someone GIF

There were times where after a win i would come home and watch the replay. Or a sunday arvo sitting back and watching a an older game. I've kind of lost this tradition, mainly due to there being nothing recent to watch.

i need some positivity, i need a win, i just need something to watch.

please post top north games over the past 10 years here. let's go

There were times where after a win i would come home and watch the replay. Or a sunday arvo sitting back and watching a an older game. I've kind of lost this tradition, mainly due to there being nothing recent to watch.

Go back 30 and get into the really good stuff...

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I still watch the Richmond annihilation in 2014 every now and then. That 3rd quarter assault was remarkable.

Martin went missing for the remaining two quarters and could barely get his hands on the ball. We were so dominant in the middle their best players couldn't get anywhere near it. This is the same midfield (without Prestia) that won 3 flags not long after.

One of Brad's best tactical changes was subbing Daw and using pace to get our smalls and talls one out. Caught Richmond wide open on multiple occasions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back