Movie Things I learnt from and movie trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

No. I saw The Blair Witch Project at the cinema. Meh. I turned off Wolf Creek when it was on HBO back home. Not my kind of film. I've never seen any of the Halloween films or whatever. I am not entertained by bloodlust.

A_Quiet_Place_film_poster.png

If they hear you, they hunt you. A family must live in silence to avoid mysterious creatures that hunt by sound. Knowing that even the slightest whisper or footstep can bring death, Evelyn and Lee are determined to find a way to protect their children while desperately searching for a way to fight back.

Release date: April 2018 (Australia)
Director: John Krasinski
Budget: $17–21 million
Box office: 340.9 million USD
Awards: Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role,

The film's director and lead actor, John Krasinski, played the monster in a motion capture suit for a few scenes.

Actress Millicent Simmonds has been deaf since infancy due to a medication overdose. This was the second film she starred in, with Wonderstruck (2017) being her first.

The bathtub scene with Emily Blunt was done in one take. According to John Krasinski, as soon as he said, "Cut," Blunt immediately fell out of character and asked the crew, "What's everyone having for lunch?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actor-director John Krasinski has said that the single greatest compliment he received regarding the film, was in a tweet from the master of the horror story himself, Stephen King: "A QUIET PLACE is an extraordinary piece of work. Terrific acting, but the main thing is the SILENCE, and how it makes the camera's eye open wide in a way few movies manage" (6 April 2018).

The device Regan wears is not a hearing aid, but a cochlear implant. This indicates that Regan has a sensorineural hearing loss, which means her inner ear has sustained some sort of damage. The cochlear implant translates vibrations in the air into nerve impulses that the brain perceives as sound.

The movie only contains about 25 lines of voiced dialogue, although sign language dialogue is used extensively.

Doors are never opened or closed throughout the entire film, except the truck's near the end.

The first line of voiced dialogue isn't spoken until about 38 minutes into the film.

Although the film was a box-office success, movie theatre businesses presenting it likely grew less enthusiastic about it. That was because the film's ambiance about the need to maintain silence in the story was convincing enough that many audiences at screenings grew unusually quiet themselves as if they subconsciously felt were they should be themselves. As such, anyone eating in the auditorium was frowned upon severely by others in the room. As such, concession stand sales, a major income stream for movie theaters, was notably limited for audiences of that film.

During the scenes in Lee Abbott's basement, you can see a variety of newspaper articles on the wall, with one headline proclaiming "meteor hits Mexico with the force of a nuke", possibly indicating how the creatures got to Earth.

As Regan visits her little brother's grave, you can see '2016 - 2020' inscribed on the headstone, which means the majority of the story takes place in the near future, circa 2021.

In the basement scene towards the end, a few frames of newspaper cuttings are visible. One of these clearly states 'Multiple Landing Sites' as a headline, alluding directly to the origin of the monster species being from space.

Human body count = 4.

Every time a creature is near, the lights start flickering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back