Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Instant dismissal for teaching kids swear words at my school.

So what word appears in the phonics section of the workbook?

The workbook that is mandatory because it was created by the school.

s**t.
Surely not...

A real worrying trend developing with 3 principals within about 15km of my school committing suicide over the past 2 years.

Work stress and lack of department assistance and support with parent issues thought to have been key contributors to at least two of them.

There is a desperate need for an independent body to handle issues the department won't, due to fear of losing votes. The system is broken and the result of that is alarming.

That is bloody horrible to read, very upsetting. Prin and AP positions are often thankless tasks, with pressure from parents, staff and the department alike. Hopefully the department actions this with immediate support.

The attacks on the principal by parents this year at our school have been staggering. Schools need to adopt a no abuse tolerated policy like hospitals do.

Anyone got any suggestions of how much to charge for tutoring?

If I talk up certain factors, I imagine I could justify charging a bit. Masters educated, 3rd year teaching Year 12, have worked at both government and private schools (currently teaching at very high reputable private school). Would be about a 30mins trek out of my way to conduct the tutoring.

Never done it before, but would be keen to start. Anyone got a ballpark figure of what they would/have charged?

If I talk up certain factors, I imagine I could justify charging a bit. Masters educated, 3rd year teaching Year 12, have worked at both government and private schools (currently teaching at very high reputable private school). Would be about a 30mins trek out of my way to conduct the tutoring.

Never done it before, but would be keen to start. Anyone got a ballpark figure of what they would/have charged?
$70 per hour as a ballpark figure.

$70 per hour as a ballpark figure.

Really? Interesting, I would have quoted far lower. I was thinking somewhere around the $40p/hr mark in my head, but then obviously was weighing it up as to whether it would be worth it, factoring in the travel.

I know during my degree there were some who were charging ~$50 an hour. I think $70 may be a bit much but maybe the parents might be willing to pay a bit more for someone with actual teaching experience and a masters degree. Maybe quote $70 but say it is negotiable.

Is that masters of teaching or 4 year course plus masters? Two different things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A real worrying trend developing with 3 principals within about 15km of my school committing suicide over the past 2 years.

Work stress and lack of department assistance and support with parent issues thought to have been key contributors to at least two of them

Couldn't pay me to be an AP or Prin. Even the pay differentiation between top Tier Classroom to a Leading Teacher isnt worth the additional workload.

The amount of out of hours work is increasing across all schools and stress to meet deadlines and AIP goals is rising.

More objective and more informative than a lot of teacher judgements I've seen from my kids teachers and my previous colleagues.
Your child has scored 595 on their NAPLAN in a multiple choice test. As a band 7 student, your child is at the national average. Here is a nice graph showing you this.

How is that telling you anything useful?

Your child has scored 595 on their NAPLAN in a multiple choice test. As a band 7 student, your child is at the national average. Here is a nice graph showing you this.

How is that telling you anything useful?
My child does a pathetic assignment, marked with a highly generic rubric and is graded "at the level" along with 95% if the kids in the class and is given cut and paste comments in their semester report. How is that useful?
In my experience, the angst from teachers I worked with, over NAPLAN was them getting pissy about the validity of their own assessment.

My child does a pathetic assignment, marked with a highly generic rubric and is graded "at the level" along with 95% if the kids in the class and is given cut and paste comments in their semester report. How is that useful?
In my experience, the angst from teachers I worked with, over NAPLAN was them getting pissy about the validity of their own assessment.
Says more about the schools and people you've worked at and with than anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back