Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

For those wondering if we’d have a delayed start to the school year:

Will be interesting to see if there’s an impact to staffing/attendance with cases predicted to peak by the end of January.

Will be interesting to see if there’s an impact to staffing/attendance with cases predicted to peak by the end of January.

For sure there will be.

There will also be lots of merges and class splits as we struggle to get CRTs.

Personally, I'm glad to be starting back with face-to-face teaching - and fully expecting to catch it sometime during February (I usually get a cold every Feb when school starts back anyway).

That said, Term 1 will be an absolute shitshow.

Personally, I'm glad to be starting back with face-to-face teaching - and fully expecting to catch it sometime during February (I usually get a cold every Feb when school starts back anyway).

That said, Term 1 will be an absolute shitshow.

Yep same. I havent been in a classroom since March 2020, and havent been sick since April of 2019.

No matter what I come down with covid or otherwise- will be a real bitch and I'll be taking at least a week and a half off, from my new job at my new school. I feel bad for them already, but what can you do. I'll of course, take all the precautions.

In Victoria the peak is predicted to be Feb. My brother and sister who work at different hospitals say all staff have been notified and any leave during Feb is very limited.
Personally, I am unavailable for any CRT work for the foreseeable future.
A friend has said,
"the year was spent staring at a screen full of emojis. When we finally got back to school I had to make the kids print out their screen picture and tape it to their foreheads so I knew who they were!"

76E88D43-3639-4AC3-9E60-01A3D224817D.png
Would hate to be a first year teacher to either the profession or at a new school. Depending on the year level the first few weeks is when you get to know your students and set your expectations.

Last edited:
The SA teaching situation is ridiculous.

If a student in any of your classes tests positive, the teacher is a close contact. This means you can attend work to teach, but at all other times you must isolate at home.

COVID cases will happen in classrooms very regularly, so unless the rule is changed, teachers will basically be in perennial isolation from life, apart from going to work.

Totally untenable.

The SA teaching situation is ridiculous.

If a student in any of your classes tests positive, the teacher is a close contact. This means you can attend work to teach, but at all other times you must isolate at home.

COVID cases will happen in classrooms very regularly, so unless the rule is changed, teachers will basically be in perennial isolation from life, apart from going to work.

Totally untenable.

And, as there's essentially cross pollination across industries and suburbs, everything about this is unfeasible and, thus, like you say, it's totally untenable.

And, as there's essentially cross pollination across industries and suburbs, everything about this is unfeasible and, thus, like you say, it's totally untenable.

Part of me suspects that they know it will fail, and it won't be supported, and by the time school comes around they'll say "We'll, we tried, but schools are closed until the peak subsides", as a way to show that they did what they could to start on Day 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of me suspects that they know it will fail, and it won't be supported, and by the time school comes around they'll say "We'll, we tried, but schools are closed until the peak subsides", as a way to show that they did what they could to start on Day 1

In the hope that whoever's received the disseminated spin, will eat it up?

View attachment 1310692
Would hate to be a first year teacher to either the profession or at a new school. Depending on the year level the first few weeks is when you get to know your students and set your expectations.
Is it just me or is year 9 and 10 the worst year levels to start remotely? Disadvantaged and disaffected kids in this age group would have to be the least likely to re engage later on. 😪

The proposed agreement is a huge slap in the face to teachers.
Union went from wanting a 7% increase in pay to willing to settle for a 2% per annum increase for 4years.

That is not even meeting the 2.5% a year Cost of living inflation. But we should be happy to get it as we get an extra 1.5hrs reduced face to face teaching in 2024..

I'm voting no.

I get that we wouldn't get the 7% asking. But to go from 7 to not even meeting yearly inflation is a joke after the last 2 years of teaching. Is this the best we can get from our union? If so, I'm cancelling my membership.

Not great - but unfortunately the state is broke and wage growth has been stagnant.

With annual progression cycle increments, teachers that aren't R2-6 are still getting annual pay increases of almost 6%.

IMO, the long-term R2-6s are generally overpaid for what they do anyway. It is the Leading Teachers that are typically overworked and underpaid - when you consider the after tax-difference between an R2-6 and R3-2 is a mere $120 per week.

Edit: Backpay only to the 1st Jan 2022 (ignoring 2021) is some straight bullshit though.

Last edited:
Not great - but unfortunately the state is broke and wage growth has been stagnant.

With annual progression cycle increments, teachers that aren't R2-6 are still getting annual pay increases of almost 6%.

IMO, the long-term R2-6s are generally overpaid for what they do anyway. It is the Leading Teachers that are typically overworked and underpaid - when you consider the after tax-difference between an R2-6 and R3-2 is a mere $120 per week.

Edit: Backpay only to the 1st Jan 2022 (ignoring 2021) is some straight bullshit though.
Yep. Huge.

I'm voting No.

Im top of the pay scale. Work my backside off and think 1% every 6 months is a joke.

They can shove their 1% pay increase where the sun don't shine. At least I'll have an extra $70 a month without having to pay Union fees.

They can shove their 1% pay increase where the sun don't shine. At least I'll have an extra $70 a month without having to pay Union fees.
The union made $94mill last year off members..

They are getting slammed on twitter by members. Don't think it will go through.

I understand that they will need to employ more staff to cover the additional 1.5hrs time release which costs money and the paid parental leave is great.

But there are so many teachers as is on a fixed term contract or CRT'ing that are struggling to get a permanent job that it doesn't really address the need for ongoing employment for teachers.

Paid parental leave increase doesn't mean much to staff who are not parents yet or not planning on having children.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back