Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi All

Bit of pre season discussion.

IMO we are now in the Premiership window. It's FINALLY our time. If you look at all the Best 22's listed that are mostly the same. For us to step up and be Top 4 at the end of the Home & Away season it will likely take a couple of players on the fringes that go to the next level that will make the difference.

Who will they be? Mine:

Lachie Cowan - This guy is a ready made AFL player. I rated him Top 20 in the draft last year. Tough, can run and kick it well. Another pre season I expect him to step up and become a regular off HB

Sam Durdin - Our best in last pre season and then got injured. If he can stay fit he is vital as he can pick up the best key forward and allow Weitering to be an intercept attacking player which he does well. Calm and assured

Jordan Boyd - Another defender who can add run and is an elite ball user. If he can play 22 games we are much better and he needs to help Saad & Williams. Can also lockdown. Allows Docherty up the ground and even Williams

1. TDK - Not exactly a fringe player but has found himself in and out of the side along with Pittonet. For me we need TDK to stand up as the number one ruckman and make the most of a potentially dominate midfield.

2. C Durin - Could have had Motlop here also, but I went Durdin after missing most of 2023. He has the talent and can have scoreboard impact while still being a decent threat in the air.

3. Jordan Boyd - I really love Boyd, he is tough and can defend but can also hurt you the other way. Gone are the days of being beaten by good smalls if he can stay fit imo.

Ollie Hollands - With his brother around he will go to another level and be a regular part of most forward chains building a bit of size and turn his back on the dreaded second year blues.

Jessie Motlop - With an improved mindset after being dropped with reach the 40 goal mark as a small forward kicking 2-3 goals a game on a regular basis.

Sam Walsh - I know he’s already massive but he’s about to tear this comp a new one. See the west coast game in 2023. He will be doing this for full games, every week and will be the runaway Brownlow favourite by round 10.

Confident
  • Marchbank (full pre-season)
  • Big H
Potentials but not overly confident
  • TDK
Determined but not sure if enough given list makeup
  • C Durdin
  • Boyd
  • Binns

1. Kemp - he's well over his injury now. It's time to train him in the midfield and let him add to his 'utility' status. I see Kemp as being very versatile. He can always fill in in defense if either Marchbank or McGov is injured. But, now it's time for him to step up and into the midfield. We need to get him playing every week. He's too good to be on the sideline waiting for a spot to free up

2. TDK - we need him to stand up and take the 80% of ruck time. He's tracking as per English and should be ready to start to click into gear in 2024. His body is ready. He just need to clunk a few more marks around the ground. He's getting to the contest, but drop the ball too easily

3. Boyd - a full preseason injury free and he's good to go. We are ready for his pace and usage out of the backline. I think a lot of the fans will be surprised at how good Boyd can play

and the CFC rookie of the year is ZWilliams :D

1. Fantasia (I know he just got here but since his stats are zero his percentage improvement will be massive).
2. Russell (His rapid healing powers will be vital for maintaining a healthy competitive list)
3. Cook (The continued genius of this man leading the club will pave the way for a successful 2024 campaign).

branedotorg - will thrive with the added leadership role.

KohPhi - will rediscover his Brownlow-level gif form of previous years.

Stig O'Hara - will actually post something after midnight that doesn't require magic mushrooms to understand. Maybe.

Binns: just think the kid will force his way into the team at some point. Looks all class.

Fantasia: just keen to see him get back to his best and if he does, the competition is in trouble. His best is just what the doctor ordered at our club and I’m marking him down for 35 plus goals in 2024.

Williams: think with him missing a successful year he will be raring to go. I expect him to be the fittest he has ever been and his run and chase will worry a lot of teams. We missed him a lot in 2023 and he is such a team man, I think he will be the recruit of 2024 (if that makes sense 😉)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

branedotorg - will thrive with the added leadership role.

KohPhi - will rediscover his Brownlow-level gif form of previous years.

Stig O'Hara - will actually post something after midnight that doesn't require magic mushrooms to understand. Maybe.

That’s why I wear the Sensible Badge

Hare Krishna.😎👍

Cowan

Hollands

Kemp

Ollie had a decent turned good debut year. If he continues improving at this rate, he's going to be very, very good come end of 2024. Cowan needed a rest, but some of his footy this year was very good; think he needs more games at the level to improve awareness and overall fitness to hit sustained levels, but he's athletically a complete package and will turn some heads if he gets a run at it.

Kemp was, in his U18's year, the big dog before he did his knee. A matchwinner on every line; speed and power and overhead marking as a forward, midfielder and defender. Think, Pavlich meets Stringer; reliable and dynamic.

To this point in a Carlton jumper, we've seen him playing well within himself. We've seen him fly the way he can, play some of the way he can, but Kemp has it in him to match Charlie Curnow for xfactor.

He's got the improvement in him in spades. Look for him to go on.

Well there's a few ways to look at it.....

Fringe 22, for me motlop, more goals and some genuine hhf class
Sos, to establish himself as a genuine goal kicking 3rd tall
Kemp to come age with true belief he belongs

Go to another level because of form or maturity
Big H, loose the yips and be the mean hard working beast that he is
Walsh, to establish himself truly as one of the best mids in the comp
TDK to establish himself as a genuine no.1 ruck that contributes around the ground and kicks goals

Perennially injured
15+ games from Martin Marchbank and Mclovin

Still heaps of growth and or improvement in this group, great time to be a blue bagger

Ollie Hollands - made a huge impression with his gut running, getting an extra number to contests and defensive efforts but only averaged 14 touches a game. Had a lot of AFL exposure which will help him to get up to speed so the next step is to increase his ball winning over the next 1-3 years to become an attacking weapon as well as a defensive one.

Brodie Kemp - Another who got a good apprenticeship in 2023, he is super talented and will hopefully go from being a competitive best 22 player to absolutely dominating his opponents next year.

Jesse Motlop - He’s a small forward, not a high half forward. Lesson learnt hopefully and he gets the full year in his natural position working his magic close to goal with the midfield dominating for a larger portion of the season.

Last edited:
1. Walsh. For me top 3 Brownlow lock if he stays healthy and will compete with the likes of gulden and daicos for the award. I think he wins to be honest but I’m biased
2. Harry. Wasn’t himself in 2023 but s**t happens. He’s got the right attitude and I expect him to be firing
3. TDK. Could Be aa. Rate this guy so highly

Going on the wording of which 3 fringe players will improve most next year, I’m going with.

Boyd. Has the speed, has the kick, and can tackle. Great preseason and watch him explode next year. I also feel that the added pressure with Williams coming back from injury might just drive him to step up and go to the next level and cement a permanent spot in the team.

E. hollands. (Is he really fringe?)
But a great environment and a great culture that the blues have been building under Cook, Voss, and Cripps will do him wonders. Will make his last game up north in the ressies final seem like the norm (30+ possies and impacting score board / involvements) excited with the potential he can bring and hopefully he wants to step up and be better example for his little bro.

Cowan. Love the way he goes about it , to take the game on and play on and play on quickly. Attacks it hard and bleeds blue. Another one that has to potential with a Carlton based pre season to explode next year and partner with weiters and kemp in the back line to make a positive impact and difference.

Pittonet - hopefully has a big pre-season and gets over his 2 year knee injury
Sam Durdin - we need a second KPD against certain teams
Harry McKay - we need hrry to be #1 tall target - not Charlie

Young - going to back him in to get some confidence back and return him back to more regular 22 contention
Marchbank - if he plays 20+ games for the year that'll pretty much guarantee huge improvement and consistency from him and will benefit the team immensely
Silvagni - hitting his peak and missing out on the finals campaign I feel will drive him more. I think he'll be a key cog in our premiership chances.

Tough one as there are many candidates.

1. Motlop - He's been good, he's gone missing, he's kicked goals, he's had defenders run off him. Expecting him to come back with a new running ability, much bigger tank and gain a little more consistency and be better at the two way running.

2. DeKoning - Threatened at times this year. Struggled as a forward at times. Impacted as a forward at times. Was smashed in the ruck at times and had brilliant games in the ruck at times. Expecting his size and strength to go to another level as well as his fitenss and marking ability. More games as number one ruck and more games in the role based on form, not because Pittonet is out.

3. Marchbank - We haven't seen much of him with a run of games to get match fitness and polish going. We haven't seen him at full fitness. A natural intercept marker, two way runner and offensive defender. Be good to see his full potential.

4. Special mentions. Cuningham, lets see him at full fitness. Cowan, a huge talent in defence with his pace, size and his kicking, he became a two way runner at VFL level, lets see him become one at AFL level. Carroll, I really want to see him come on, stalled this season, hope to see him go up another level in the VFL as Dow did and force his way into the side. O Hollands, second season is not usually a notable season for players but he could be an exception. O Hollands, hopefully we picked him just before he matures. Kemp, Hopefully he goes up a level in fitness and pushed more as a mid or two way running half back. Martin, not at full fitness this season, has another level in him. Durdin, Still developing, hope to see more mid time. Binns, will develop as an onballer, hopefully puts in huge games. Boyd, think he's ready to become a top line AFL defender. Fantasia, can he get back to his best? Cincotta, does he have another level of fitness and run to reach?

Tough one as there are many candidates.

1. Motlop - He's been good, he's gone missing, he's kicked goals, he's had defenders run off him. Expecting him to come back with a new running ability, much bigger tank and gain a little more consistency and be better at the two way running.

2. DeKoning - Threatened at times this year. Struggled as a forward at times. Impacted as a forward at times. Was smashed in the ruck at times and had brilliant games in the ruck at times. Expecting his size and strength to go to another level as well as his fitenss and marking ability. More games as number one ruck and more games in the role based on form, not because Pittonet is out.

3. Marchbank - We haven't seen much of him with a run of games to get match fitness and polish going. We haven't seen him at full fitness. A natural intercept marker, two way runner and offensive defender. Be good to see his full potential.

4. Special mentions. Cuningham, lets see him at full fitness. Cowan, a huge talent in defence with his pace, size and his kicking, he became a two way runner at VFL level, lets see him become one at AFL level. Carroll, I really want to see him come on, stalled this season, hope to see him go up another level in the VFL as Dow did and force his way into the side. O Hollands, second season is not usually a notable season for players but he could be an exception. O Hollands, hopefully we picked him just before he matures. Kemp, Hopefully he goes up a level in fitness and pushed more as a mid or two way running half back. Martin, not at full fitness this season, has another level in him. Durdin, Still developing, hope to see more mid time. Binns, will develop as an onballer, hopefully puts in huge games. Boyd, think he's ready to become a top line AFL defender. Fantasia, can he get back to his best? Cincotta, does he have another level of fitness and run to reach?
LOL - three players!!!

Next you want to describe each player on our list :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back