Three Big Improvers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Believe next year we are in and around the top 4 no matter who will step up, but with E Hollands and Fantasia it improves the mix from day 1

Williams - Known quantity and will be primed to go

Walsh - First full preseason in some time

Expecting improvement from Mots, Carroll, Young, O Hollands

Binns, HOK, Lemmey to continue to develop at VFL level

Boyd is already a lock for me

1. Williams - Will be keen to show how good he really is after missing the last season, I can see a big one looming
2. Big H - Hopefully get rid of the yips and have a stellar season in front of goal.
3. O. Hollands - Take his game to another level and use that endurance and speed to tear opposition teams apart

Very close to mine except I think the other Hollands could be the missing link in the forward line. So my three are

Williams. We need some bloody return on investment here !!! I don't care if it is in the midfield or the backline but I want SOMETHING out of this guy, who really could be anything

McKay. I think he did a good job, sacrificing his game for the team, but if we can get a better balance with Curnow where both of are complementing each other more then the forward line will be that much better.

E. Hollands. We have been missing the power Forward-Mid, and if Hollands can become our Petracca/De Goey etc (even if it is a tier below those guys) then our forward line will, again, be much more dangerous

Harry McKay -- will rediscover his confidence and form. Career best year awaits.

Ollie Hollands -- establishes himself firmly in the best 22. Will earn increasing amount of opportunity in our best midfield mix and not just a wing or flank.

Brodie Kemp -- will cement himself as Mr Fix It at both ends of the ground. Suspect close to a goal a game of enabled to play some forward minutes.

Zac Williams: return from injury, play that high halfback/sweeper/playmaker role and pinch hit in the middle.
Brodie Kemp: continues to rise, locks down a tall defender role, scope to swing forward.
Corey Durdin: gets over the shoulder injury, forces his way into the 22 as a pressure/small forward ahead of the likes of Fogarty/Cuningham.

Big Harry - he's clearly driven and he'd be quite disappointed with his 2022.

Needs to use his size more to impose himself - 205cm (that height is from H's own mouth), 105kg, uber fast guy - if you know he likes to 'hit', you'll think twice/thrice!.

Williams - others have said it. He's A grade, needs to deliver.

E. Hollands - reckon he'll thrive in our system - will get/find lots of ball and deliver on his huge talent.

TDK - I see him coming into his own as an oversized utility. Covers the ground well and showed some promise forward, with proper coaching a forward line including TDK, Charlie and Harry working together will be a nightmare to defend against. His continued development will take significant pressure off Harry to be the sole long-marking target and also free Charlie up to roam a little more.

Kemp - he's done an apprenticeship of sorts in a more reactive role but I'd like to see him play on instinct a little more, he, Weitering & McGovern can offer some counterpunch as our taller options down back. Their communication and ability to cover for one another will build in time.

Ollie - had a solid first year but if he can take his game to another level and become a lock/a consistent option in our midfield mix it'll greatly improve our chances of success. I rate him very highly and feel that his competitiveness (like Walsh's), will see him become a barometer for our side.

Ollie Hollands - made a huge impression with his gut running, getting an extra number to contests and defensive efforts but only averaged 14 touches a game. Had a lot of AFL exposure which will help him to get up to speed so the next step is to increase his ball winning over the next 1-3 years to become an attacking weapon as well as a defensive one.

Sin, do you think Hollands will go into the midfield? I believe he will start to do it next year

Be very interesting to see how Voss uses O.Hollands, E.Hollands, Docherty, Motlop, Binns, Martin through the midfield/wings next year. Could be a massive point of difference

Sin, do you think Hollands will go into the midfield? I believe he will start to do it next year

Be very interesting to see how Voss uses O.Hollands, E.Hollands, Docherty, Motlop, Binns, Martin through the midfield/wings next year. Could be a massive point of difference
I have chunks of corn in my crap bigger than him and we have a ton of muscle in our on ball division for winning contests. He played really well in there in his draft year but I didn’t see Kade Simpson play on the ball until he was 23, due to Hollands needing to fill out and our strength in there already I don’t think we need Ollie there until he’s about 23-24.

I have chunks of corn in my crap bigger than him and we have a ton of muscle in our on ball division for winning contests. He played really well in there in his draft year but I didn’t see Kade Simpson play on the ball until he was 23, due to Hollands needing to fill out and our strength in there already I don’t think we need Ollie there until he’s about 23-24.

I differ a bit. It's not all about size and muscle. I wouldn't want him in their regularly next year but I think he will start to have midfield time. Be interesting to see what we do

Your mention of Motlop is an interesting one, Soapy. Jimmae has been pretty consistent in here on his views that Motlop can be an onballer. If we can build up his tank to get him in there, I think he offers us a degree of difference compared to any of our other onballers. I hope it happens.

Your mention of Motlop is an interesting one, Soapy. Jimmae has been pretty consistent in here on his views that Motlop can be an onballer. If we can build up his tank to get him in there, I think he offers us a degree of difference compared to any of our other onballers. I hope it happens.

My take he can do what Pickett does at Melbourne. He can go into centre bounces and be effective in short bursts. I see him as an elite small forward that can have an effect in the midfield.

What I like is options through the middle, with different skills, that keep the opposition guessing

My take he can do what Pickett does at Melbourne. He can go into centre bounces and be effective in short bursts. I see him as an elite small forward that can have an effect in the midfield.

What I like is options through the middle, with different skills, that keep the opposition guessing
It's both personnel and game plan

I feel that we've relied too much on Plan A.
Do we have a different plan when things don't work out too well?

Bring me those game plan options/ layers - Vossy :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Jesse Motlop: of all our small forwards he looks the most likely to become a 30 goal a season player. Kids got to get the afl physique.

2. Ollie Hollands: to be an undisputed lock on one wing and top 10 player at the club by the end of the season and hopefully begin to emulate the career. I see a lot of Scott Camporeale in his trajectory.

3. Elijah Hollands: a bit of blind faith call that the kick up the bum will drive him to realise his undoubted potential. He could become that class hybrid mid/forward we desperately need.

Last edited:
1 out of form gun, 1 youngster, 1 fringe

Gun - Harry or Walsh...Harry getting over his mental demons would do wonders for our forwardline and help a lot of others improve. Head says that it'll be Walsh though to have a career best year after an injury-interrupted 2023.

Youngster - Motlop is the man. Still just a teenager, he had a few games where he showed that innate ability to find the goals. Still gotta work on fitness and defensive pressure, but his ceiling is the highest of any of our small forwards IMO.

Fringe - I might cop a bit of flak for this one, but I think it could be Young. Has the physical tools to defend bigger forwards, has the marking ability to intercept. Similar to Harry, a lot of his issues are mental. If we can simplify the game for him so he doesn't fk up our ball movement and allow him to play to his strengths, he adds something that the rest of our players can't - a genuine 2nd foil for Weitering. Kemp/Gov/Marchie are all too small.

Hey Thy.

Soapy done gone and took yer thread!
Not even an apology or "ok if....?" Just waits for me to take some leave and sneaks it in......

1. Harry McKay - revenge season.

2. Jesse Motlop - 24 goals in his second year while also being in and out of the side at points. Pretty good effort but I think he will go to another level. Hope he can add just a touch of breakaway speed.

3. Brodie Kemp - the guy oozes class. First full season and he rated above average in almost every category for a key defender. Needs to improve his one-on-one defending, but he is just beginning to scratch the surface of what he could become. Kemp is the personification of the "could be anything" cliche.

cuners - every year, but this year is the year.........
williams - not like you owe us zac, but you owe us, zac...........
binns - not so much to improve, but prove why we grabbed him............

Yeah, look - I'd love to have Zac in here but think its a bit of a low bar given he's been missing. But make no mistake, he's basically a bodafide best 22 (borderline top 10) player straight into our Round 1 side.

My 3 would be:
1. Tom De Koning - The King re-signed earlier this year in a show of commitment to the club. At 24 and with 60 games under his belt, 2024 will be the year he announces himself to the competition and justifies the hype prior to his signing. I still don't know how that dynamic with Pitto plays out, but more consistent performances - wherever he plays - will elevate him (and us) to the next tier. By the end of next season, I hope the entire competition are talking about TDK for 2025 All-Australian selection.

2. Brodie Kemp - I think the way his season ended will spur him on over the long offseason and make him all the better for it. I'm hoping and expecting Brodie to step up truly in 2024 to be a guaranteed best 22 player.

3. Caleb Marchbank - Marchy finally came back into the side after a long absence this year, and showed he belongs. The athletic tall still a ton of growth to come and if he can stay fit over the break and hit Round 1 at full fitness, he could emerge as a rising star of the competition in 2024 (at the ripe age of 27).

I'm also expecting one or two guys to emerge up forward (looking at you, Jesse) to help elevate our offence beyond the reliance on Charlie, Harry and Jack. Cannot wait for Season 2024.

Tom Cruise What GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back