Time for DRS in Twenty20?

Should there be DRS in Twenty20 cricket?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Joe Root received a bad call from the umpire in the 2nd T20 and has called for DRS to be implemented in all internationals?

Interested to get the Bigfooty crowd verdict. I'm all for it. Allow them a max of 2 decisions per team for the whole game. (Not the innings)

Provided they call it straight away (no committee meetings, etc) and they get to the crux of the matter instead of checking for no-balls, hot spot etc, then why not? If it really was a poor decision, and the batsman/bowler knows it, why all the discussion? Give them 2 seconds to call for a review or get on with it.

This is not only a T20 issue, but the time wasted for each review should be addressed. LBW review, go straight to whether the ball struck the batsmen in line and if it would have hit the stumps FIRST. If yes, then check all the other stuff later.

The part that always annoys me about DRS is the moment a review is called for (after a 15-20 second debate of course) is on come all the drinks carriers and the players stand around like they're at a Sunday BBQ while the 3rd umpires tries to sound cool by "rocking & rolling" it, even though it's clear the ball hasn't hit the bat. I think they see it as their chance to be involved in the match so they drag it out as much as possible.

Last edited:
There's really no reason not to. It doesn't take that long. Remember we already have the umpires going up to the third ump every time there's a run out chance and DRS would not take much longer than that does.

There's really no reason not to. It doesn't take that long. Remember we already have the umpires going up to the third ump every time there's a run out chance and DRS would not take much longer than that does.
Well the time is the reason. They have banned players this year for time as they aim to keep it as quick as possible.

Some decisions can take close to 5 minutes to make

Well the time is the reason. They have banned players this year for time as they aim to keep it as quick as possible.

Some decisions can take close to 5 minutes to make

Some runout decisions take ages too.

5 mins is definitely overkill, they can instruct the 3rd umpire that for this form of the game, if there's any really close calls to just stick with the onfield umps decision. If they get the process right it should only take 1 minute max.

Regardless, the game is quick enough and allowing an extra 10 minutes for 2 - 4 DRS decisions would be fine by most people. Just add extra time to the schedule so it doesn't mess with double headers etc.

Provided they call it straight away (no committee meetings, etc) and they get to the crux of the matter instead of checking for no-balls, hot spot etc, then why not? If it really was a poor decision, and the batsman/bowler knows it, why all the discussion? Give them 2 seconds to call for a review or get on with it.

This is not only a T20 issue, but the time wasted for each review should be addressed. LBW review, go straight to whether the ball struck the batsmen in line and if it would have hit the stumps FIRST. If yes, then check all the other stuff later.

The part that always annoys me about DRS is the moment a review is called for (after a 15-20 second debate of course) is on come all the drinks carriers and the players stand around like they're at a Sunday BBQ while the 3rd umpires tries to sound cool by "rocking & rolling" it, even though it's clear the ball hasn't hit the bat. I think they see it as their chance to be involved in the match so they drag it out as much as possible.
Part of the issue as well is the time it takes for ball tracking to actually be ready

Agree with most of what you said. I also think the on field umpires should quit with the checking of all no-balls (involving the front foot) when there is a wicket that comes. That also adds up wasted time during an innings. It seems like with most test matches and ODI's the umpire always checks if they bowler has bowled a no-ball after every wicket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this sounds like a crazy idea but we should get a machine to check the front foot no balls. You would think with all the advancement in technology, you could get the umpire standing at square to check for the no-balls (ones involving height or above waist) and the front umpire standing on wicket to check the LBW's/wides. Just my thoughts anyway.

Feel like the umpire standing at front of wicket has too much to think about.

Part of the issue as well is the time it takes for ball tracking to actually be ready
The old man has been told that about 50 times on here but it's yet to sink in.

I'm not worried that much either way if they bring it in, I guess if it's only 1 per innings it probably wouldn't hurt.

One per team could work (e.g. if you use it and get it wrong in your batting innings, you lose it for the rest of the game during fielding).

So in essence
Test: 2 per 80 overs
ODI: 1 per 50 overs
T20: 1 per 40 overs

They project the ball moving past where it actually did in tennis, do they?
At risk of this turning into one of those pointless little arguments that are increasingly springing up on BF these days, can I simply say that I don't think it is that big of a request to ask technology providers who I assume are making significant coin from being the monopoly supplier of a critical piece of equipment to ask them to keep trying to improve their product.

At risk of this turning into one of those pointless little arguments that are increasingly springing up on BF these days, can I simply say that I don't think it is that big of a request to ask technology providers who I assume are making significant coin from being the monopoly supplier of a critical piece of equipment to ask them to keep trying to improve their product.
I love that you think that no one would be trying to improve it to make it work faster and/or more accurately, unless specifically asked to

Back