Time to rebuild before Tassie comes

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 21, 2023
AFL Club
Melbourne
With Tassie coming in a few years, now is the time to dip down and scoop up some talent.

We absolutely do not want to be bottoming out while all the draft pick concessions are being given to tassie.

Have to get the talent now - next 2 years.

Being a bottom side during gws and suns birth hurt us.

The teams at the bottom of the ladder in 2026 are fu*ked

I understand the sentiment but hopefully we can aim to tread water rather than tumble down the ladder if we rebuild, like the Cats and others have done. Cos a couple of seasons down the bottom can turn into many more, especially at smaller clubs.

The one thing that Goody has done ok with this year is injecting some youth into the team (although he ruins this by selecting Brown and Salem etc whenever possible). So at least we're giving them good experience, and tbh I'm as worried about the coaching as much as I am talent.

Petty and Oliver are huge decisions. I'll back Oliver to eventually get back to his best but Petty looks awful as a forward. If one or both go, that'll give us decent draft capital.

Ideally we could trade Salem for a late second rounder.

We should have cap space though, especially if Petty or Oliver leave. I'd love a mid-career free agent or two (McCluggage, Stengle, Ainsworth, Cumming) and as many early draft picks in the next two years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tend to agree now. Unfortunately the optimism has faded. We've got enough of a sample size this year to show that last year was our final chance at it with this list and this coach. Dip for 2 years, trade out some players with worth, lose the Dead wood, grab a different coach with a more attacking mindset, and hopefully bounce back.

The problem we have now though, is that Gawn and May in 2 years time will most likely be retiring. They are big shoes to fill. Petty for mine needs to go back now and be that future May replacement. Verrall needs to start getting games. If we throw picks at a player like Lobb in a desperate attempt to stay up, we're screwed. Would be a bit like what Dimma did at Tigers and their list is now completely stuffed. Have balls, trade Salem, Sparrow and Oliver. Bring in some picks. Keep getting games into kids and look at blokes like Sestan and Moniz-Wakefield. Hell, give Jeffe and Adams a crack and it's sink or swim. I'd love to give Bucks a go tbh. But I can see us doing a Richmond and thinking we're still a chance for a flag. That time is now done. List and coach are cooked.

Rebuilding under this coaching staff is pointless, going to turn potential game breakers like Kozzy into guys who live off contest and defense for their goals, spend money/a first round pick on a KPF while having no idea how to use one (the goal being to make every KPF as close to Chris Dawes as possible) , recruit more competitors/inside mids.

Until the coaching staff is gone it's all pointless. Just a slow sad death. Feel sorry for Gawn, May, Trac, Kozzy, JVR and Fritsch the most. Other teams would have got/get so much more out of these guys.

With Tassie coming in a few years, now is the time to dip down and scoop up some talent.

We absolutely do not want to be bottoming out while all the draft pick concessions are being given to tassie.

Have to get the talent now - next 2 years.

Being a bottom side during gws and suns birth hurt us.

The teams at the bottom of the ladder in 2026 are fu*ked
i don't think we have to dip down, as it were.

I think we need to trade some out for solid picks, to elevate our 2024 picks.

We have a few father sons who might be on our radar in a couple of years time who may be small types.?

We need to bolster our bull-mids as Oli is off his game, and lets face it... other strong midfielders bat way deeper than ours do.

We need a lot more tough class ball users... through our midfield. and another young tall swingman type. a strong marking type tall.

Rebuilding under this coaching staff is pointless, going to turn potential game breakers like Kozzy into guys who live off contest and defense for their goals, spend money/a first round pick on a KPF while having no idea how to use one (the goal being to make every KPF as close to Chris Dawes as possible) , recruit more competitors/inside mids.

Until the coaching staff is gone it's all pointless. Just a slow sad death. Feel sorry for Gawn, May, Trac, Kozzy, JVR and Fritsch the most. Other teams would have got/get so much more out of these guys.
What we need is a good old fashioned players revolt. Unfortunately they all love Goody and he loves them.

I don't understand this thread really. Aren't you all just going to jump ship and support Tassie? It's the sensible thing to do.
GWS is my second team, and now I’ve joined the Sydney board. Tassie? Sure. Why not. Anyone but us sounds okay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back