Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Herald Sun.....

Phillips was spared a personal barrage during Buckley’s quarter-time rocket against the Hawks, but shed some insight into how animated the coach was.

“The main message was to take ownership,” Phillips said.

264428ca95305faec20782597a1d9120

Nathan Buckley delivered an old-fashioned spray at quarter-time when Collingwood trailed by six goals against Hawthorn. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
“Are we going to become a slave to falling behind and feeling sorry for ourselves?

“It was a maturity and growth thing — are we going to stand up now? If we’re going to make a change to our season, it’s got to happen now. It was a pretty urgent message.

What do you want to be known for? It was a line in the sand moment.

“For him to be a bit more animated and emotional probably woke up a few blokes, including myself.”

The Magpies and Western Bulldogs are the only clubs yet to blood a player this season, but Phillips adds to the Pies’ impressive list of recent Rising Star nominees.

So good that Flipper finally gets the nomination he deserves.

Yeah he does some things wrong, but for a second year kid he really is impressive.

Now to give a few more kids some games so we can get some more noms before the years out. It's indigenous round this week, unlease the Kirby beast. Hugs all around.:)

good news, and for those who want him dropped, it will not happen. watch the replays of games he has played in, one of only a couple of two way runners we have.
kid can make some mistakes, but what young player does not. love his chasing so others don't have to roll over and
can stay with their opposites.

Well done on the nomination. Best game since probably the Sydney game. More than a few errors early but redeemed himself after 1/2 time. Not sure it was a RS nomination worthy game or that there has been enough consistency in his effort across the season to merit it either. Not an award that I give too much credence to.

Well, done Tom! He has been a bit inconsistent, but he's still having a lot of impact for a kid with so few games, and his ability to run and run is something we desperately need.
In the 2nd half against the Hawks, when we finally decided to take the game on and try to keep the ball moving forward, Phillips was in his natural element. Run, tackle, run some more, mark, go to the next contest - Hine got one right with this kid, i feel. He has a skill which sets him apart, and benefits our team in the modern game. And he came to the big leagues the hard way, which speaks of dedication and desire. Hope you have a long and successful career, Flipper.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-22/i-can-outrun-anyone-ambitious-pie-phillips-rising-star

7 intercept possessions are very fine stat.

Last edited:
and people called for his head after the Hawks game... Congrats Tom, well deserved and an impressive game against the Hawks like I said straight after it.

LOL I was one. Obviously got it wrong. Had two kicks smothered which looked bad. Clearly there was a lot of other redeemeing features to his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to come in for Varcoe this week, after dominating in the VFL (40 disposals, 10 tackles, 3 goals).

Was putting together a quality run of form at AFL level before the injury hiccup (averaging 22 disposals, 3.25 tackles, 3.25 inside 50s and a goal per game in the four games from Rounds 11-15). Definitely worth persisting with going forward.

Has to come in for Varcoe this week, after dominating in the VFL (40 disposals, 10 tackles, 3 goals).

Was putting together a quality run of form at AFL level before the injury hiccup (averaging 22 disposals, 3.25 tackles, 3.25 inside 50s and a goal per game in the four games from Rounds 11-15). Definitely worth persisting with going forward.
He's been very good and promising.

He also Brings to
The table elite running

Wonder if scully can take some motivation and actually find the footy like phillips

Luckily for Scully he only has to get it half as often to have more impact than Phillips.

Luckily for Scully he only has to get it half as often to have more impact than Phillips.
Tom Phillips reminds me of Daisy Thomas in early years, always running hard to be in the right position to get the ball and bobbing up all over the ground.
I think he will be a star too!

Tom Phillips reminds me of Daisy Thomas in early years, always running hard to be in the right position to get the ball and bobbing up all over the ground.
I think he will be a star too!

Can't see that he'll ever be as good as Scully and not yet 1/2 the player Daisy was. Hopefully he can turn that around.

He may never be as good as Daisy at his best but I suspect he won't be as bad as Daisy at his worst. Good honest footballer, worthy of a spot in most sides 22.

Your way more optimistic about him than I am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back