Rumour Tom Scully retiring due to personal issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, the bloke's 29 yeah?
Even if he lobbed it in a TD now and left it for 12 months then kept rolling it, he'd only be earning around $15k interest per annum.
You can keep compounding that but I'd never suggest he wouldn't have to work again.
He wouldn't have to work HARD, but he'd still have to turn up for a few shifts a week for a few years

So TDs are the only option yeah - a Bloke at 29 investing in a non real-return asset class

seems a reasonable assumption to make

So TDs are the only option yeah - a Bloke at 29 investing in a non real-return asset class

seems a reasonable assumption to make

Yeah it is.
Unless he invests in shares or real estate, he won't be seeing anything greater than 1% interest on his investment per annum for a while.
To say he won't have to work a day in his life again is incorrect

Yeah it is.
Unless he invests in shares or real estate, he won't be seeing anything greater than 1% interest on his investment per annum for a while.
To say he won't have to work a day in his life again is incorrect

your assertion is that a 29 year old with a 60 year time horizon would have a portfolio consisting of 100% cash ...

that’s your genuine assumption you’d make in that scenario

Not sure it was a fair question to put in front of a very young kid personally. Should not have been put in a position where he had to lie.

I agree he never lived up to the number 1 pick or the contract, however he had a very respectable career.

187 games and at his best was a good (not great) wingmen. Seeing the hate he cops from a lot of Dees is crazy.
I don’t hate Scully, but I was very outspoken and got shouted down by Dees supporters when we were leading up to the draft when I was saying he wasn’t elite, had no penetration in his kicking and was undersized.

I wasn’t upset at all when he left. I would’ve done the same if I was him, I don’t think there are many people who can say they would turn down that offer.

Balls again. Stats mean nothing and they arnt great stats anyway. You do realise that coaches let some opp players roam free because they aren’t damaging, yeah? He’s one. Useful, busy, accumulating but not someone that will take the game away from you. Solid seems a fair term. Certainly not a million dollar man or what you’d hope from a #1 pick
Tend to agree. He was an accumulator, that didn't accumulate all that much.

I don't doubt that of the 4-5 dangerous GWS players, he would have been the one that opposition coaches decided not to tag and allow to 'accumulate'.

Having said that, his GWS teammates did speak highly of him in regards to his ability to cover them by running up and down the ground.

Probably $7m net after tax I would think.

Assuming he was responsible and spends $100k a year.

That leaves him $6m saved

$2m into a property - leaving $4m

$4m would generate a lifetime income of ~$160k indexed.

So no - it isn't billionaires' row - but it's twice the median wage and leaves him in a position where that would see out his days without ever working again.

I thought his contract was $1M per year for 6 years at GWS? $1M a year gross nets around $600K. And he hasn't been making that money for every year he has played. Under $100K for his first year and dunno at Hawks, maybe $1.2M over the 3? Few bonuses and match payments here and there and he might get to $8M before tax but it seems unlikely. Stand to be corrected on these figures though.

Would you be more sure how many goals they kick if Patton was playing?

I think it wouldnt matter as much if Patton was kicking a couple each week. Now they will be expected to do more.

Lewis was great in 2019. But had a horrible 2020. Lost all his confidence.

And now he will be our main target. But then, these guys get paid a lot of money. Maybe its will be good for him having to be our main leading target.

I thought his contract was $1M per year for 6 years at GWS? $1M a year gross nets around $600K. And he hasn't been making that money for every year he has played. Under $100K for his first year and dunno at Hawks, maybe $1.2M over the 3? Few bonuses and match payments here and there and he might get to $8M before tax but it seems unlikely. Stand to be corrected on these figures though.

Professional athletes do get the benefit of some fairly advantageous averaging rules - which certainly would have massively reduced his tax in the early years he was earning $1m plus. I'd assumed about $10m gross total

Professional athletes do get the benefit of some fairly advantageous averaging rules - which certainly would have massively reduced his tax in the early years he was earning $1m plus. I'd assumed about $10m gross total

Fair enough. This is a bit off topic really (my fault), but the conversation had grown stale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon O’Rourke
Tom Scully
Jon Patton

Has there been another team more royaly reamed by another club than we were by GWS..I thought us with hay and Thompson trades with north or pick 1 trade with dockers would be hard to beat but here we are...

Before our supporters try justifying “but we only traded a fourth rounder for Scully and Patton”... we are also paying them big $$$ to consistently do f*** all!

O’Rourke was also traded for pick 19!!
Add Jed Anderson to your list.

Jon O’Rourke
Tom Scully
Jon Patton

Has there been another team more royaly reamed by another club than we were by GWS..I thought us with hay and Thompson trades with north or pick 1 trade with dockers would be hard to beat but here we are...

Before our supporters try justifying “but we only traded a fourth rounder for Scully and Patton”... we are also paying them big $$$ to consistently do f*** all!

O’Rourke was also traded for pick 19!!
Scully and Patton had the Giants paying half their salary. What we were paying was barely a blip on our cap. Similar O'Rourke, next to nothing.

Don't change Bradkli!

Yes I’m a Geelong troll...I must have hundreds if not thousands of posts about Geelong and on the Geelong board then....please present me with my posts about Geelong or on the Geelong board...

No. You just have thousands of posts bitching about Hawthorn despite our incredible success.

Your other account would have all the Geelong posts.

Trolls are annoying, not always stupid.

No. You just have thousands of posts bitching about Hawthorn despite our incredible success.

Your other account would have all the Geelong posts.

Trolls are annoying, not always stupid.

I have one account..I might be wrong, but if you have dual accounts, you get your account deleted...I’m pretty sure I haven’t, as I’m still here..

I was banned from our page two years ago...funny how every single thing I said would happen has happened..all that’s left if the wooden spoon which will be either this year or next.

Keep those rose coloured glasses on.

Who would have thought Hawthorn picking up these injured GWS re-treads on good money would blow up on them? Hate to see it :)

I have one account..I might be wrong, but if you have dual accounts, you get your account deleted...I’m pretty sure I haven’t, as I’m still here..

I was banned from our page two years ago...funny how every single thing I said would happen has happened..all that’s left if the wooden spoon which will be either this year or next.

Keep those rose coloured glasses on.

You predicted us going 3 from 4 then COVID hitting and us failing to do well in the single hub 1 hour away from where we trained and played while every other club got to go to resorts with decent facilities?

Holy * !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back