Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with jdz on Merrett. Gives me a Nathan Foley superstar in a s**t side vibe. We'll see how good he is if he can continue to contribute at that level in a good side.
Merrett was leading Essendon B&F before he went down with injury in 2015 with all of Essendons players available.

Unfortunately it was Jake himself saying that he would have to think about a big offer that has got us

View attachment 315496

However, I trust our LM team to cover it. I think Jake's happy at the WB otherwise.

I'm well aware of what it is that Jake said. In-fact I took another look at the article that has the hares a running last night and other than a typically sensationalist headline, call me pollyanna, but I just don't see the where the concern comes from. I doubt that there is a single player (even BontemChrist) in the competition that faced with the same inflammatory question of being offered a million dollar contract by another club would answer in any other way than Jake did. Interestingly those that seem to believe that he will leave for more money in the future seem to discount the part about him wanting to be a Bulldog for life.

Norm says he wants to keep posting on BigFooty but he cant rule out that he wont post exclusively on WOOF in the future.

Pre-Season doldrums.

Jake Stringer says he wants to be a Bulldog for life but can’t rule out free agency move

a5206a1eafd77f5a83998873ddfe1cfa

MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
July 15, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only

EXPLOSIVE forward Jake Stringer doesn’t want to frighten Western Bulldogs fans, but he says free-agency thinking cannot be ignored.

Emphasising that he wants to be a Bulldog for the rest of his career, the 22-year-old father of daughters Milla, 2, and Arlo, six weeks, said his future would be determined by what was best for his family.

If another club offered him $1 million a season, similar to the deal given to teammate Tom Boyd, Stringer joked that he would have to see what the Bulldogs would offer to keep him.

The seriousness of a 12-year football career, however, meant everything would have to be considered.

“Money is a factor in footy, 100 per cent it is,” Stringer told the Herald Sun. “I’ve got two kids. I’m not thinking for me, I’m thinking for those two.

“But would I want to leave the club? No way. They gave me my opportunity. Heaps of clubs were worried about my broken leg and (the Bulldogs) took a gamble on me.

fc345830f98633c5ebf649c2ef9a2f23

Jake Stringer celebrates a goal with Marcus Bontempelli.
“There’s also the mates and friendships I’ve created. And Bevo (Luke Beveridge) and Gia (Daniel Giansiracusa) and all the coaches ... I couldn’t think of anything worse than leaving the football club.”

Stringer and Marcus Bontempelli, 20, are considered the emerging superstars among a host of talented young Bulldogs players.

Yet they are probably earning less than a third of what Boyd, 20, is taking home. It has been reported his contract is heavily front-ended.

Stringer, who is tied to the Kennel until the end of the 2018 season, said Boyd’s contract was not an issue.

“I don’t — and I know the other boys don’t — hold any grudge or anything like that,” Stringer said. “He got the deal, the club needed a key position player and they went and got him.

“I’m happy for him to get $1 million a year, in all seriousness. Good luck to him and I’ll support him 100 per cent of the way and I’ll be a great teammate to him.

61ab2cbeae0de00bd9b63d9d47068729

Tom Boyd and Jake Stringer in red, white and blue together. Picture: Michael Klein
“Hopefully in five years’ time people look back and say, ‘We gave him a bit of flak early, but it’s a paid off now’. That’s what I want for him.*

“You can’t get caught up in other people’s business. That’s his business, not my business.”

Stringer admitted, though, he was stunned when he learned of the deal.

“When it first came out, you say, ‘Hell, that’s a lot of money for a kid’. That’s the natural reaction. But once he came to the club and you meet him and you train with him and see him every day, he turns into one of us.”

As teammates, do they joke about the money?

“Yeah, if there’s a fine thrown up every now and then for a wrestle, there might be a few cheap shots thrown out,” Stringer said. “Or if there’s cups of coffees that need to be bought. But it is what it is. We can’t change it.”

Stringer wants to play at least until 2025.

“I want to keep playing until my body doesn’t allow me to,” he said. “I’d like to think I’d get a good 14 or 15 years out of myself.”

*It didn't take 5 years to pay off it took only 9 weeks! Jakeydamus.

I'm well aware of what it is that Jake said. In-fact I took another look at the article that has the hares a running last night and other than a typically sensationalist headline, call me pollyanna, but I just don't see the where the concern comes from. I doubt that there is a single player (even BontemChrist) in the competition that faced with the same inflammatory question of being offered a million dollar contract by another club would answer in any other way than Jake did. Interestingly those that seem to believe that he will leave for more money in the future seem to discount the part about him wanting to be a Bulldog for life.

Norm says he wants to keep posting on BigFooty but he cant rule out that he wont post exclusively on WOOF in the future.

Pre-Season doldrums.

Jake Stringer says he wants to be a Bulldog for life but can’t rule out free agency move

Subscriber only

EXPLOSIVE forward Jake Stringer doesn’t want to frighten Western Bulldogs fans, but he says free-agency thinking cannot be ignored.

Emphasising that he wants to be a Bulldog for the rest of his career, the 22-year-old father of daughters Milla, 2, and Arlo, six weeks, said his future would be determined by what was best for his family.

If another club offered him $1 million a season, similar to the deal given to teammate Tom Boyd, Stringer joked that he would have to see what the Bulldogs would offer to keep him.

The seriousness of a 12-year football career, however, meant everything would have to be considered.

“Money is a factor in footy, 100 per cent it is,” Stringer told the Herald Sun. “I’ve got two kids. I’m not thinking for me, I’m thinking for those two.

“But would I want to leave the club? No way. They gave me my opportunity. Heaps of clubs were worried about my broken leg and (the Bulldogs) took a gamble on me.

“There’s also the mates and friendships I’ve created. And Bevo (Luke Beveridge) and Gia (Daniel Giansiracusa) and all the coaches ... I couldn’t think of anything worse than leaving the football club.”

Stringer and Marcus Bontempelli, 20, are considered the emerging superstars among a host of talented young Bulldogs players.

Yet they are probably earning less than a third of what Boyd, 20, is taking home. It has been reported his contract is heavily front-ended.

Stringer, who is tied to the Kennel until the end of the 2018 season, said Boyd’s contract was not an issue.

“I don’t — and I know the other boys don’t — hold any grudge or anything like that,” Stringer said. “He got the deal, the club needed a key position player and they went and got him.

“I’m happy for him to get $1 million a year, in all seriousness. Good luck to him and I’ll support him 100 per cent of the way and I’ll be a great teammate to him.

Tom Boyd and Jake Stringer in red, white and blue together. Picture: Michael Klein
“Hopefully in five years’ time people look back and say, ‘We gave him a bit of flak early, but it’s a paid off now’. That’s what I want for him.*

“You can’t get caught up in other people’s business. That’s his business, not my business.”

“When it first came out, you say, ‘Hell, that’s a lot of money for a kid’. That’s the natural reaction. But once he came to the club and you meet him and you train with him and see him every day, he turns into one of us.”

“Yeah, if there’s a fine thrown up every now and then for a wrestle, there might be a few cheap shots thrown out,” Stringer said. “Or if there’s cups of coffees that need to be bought. But it is what it is. We can’t change it.”

“I want to keep playing until my body doesn’t allow me to,” he said. “I’d like to think I’d get a good 14 or 15 years out of myself.”

Excellent post

I'm with jdz on Merrett. Gives me a Nathan Foley superstar in a s**t side vibe. We'll see how good he is if he can continue to contribute at that level in a good side.
????

Merrett is a genuine gun IMO. If he's having that output as a top 3 player in a s**t side, I'd do many disturbing and illegal things to have him as a "10th player" in our side.

Mmmmm, makes me all warm and gooey just thinking about him in red, white and blue.

Merrett isn't on Cripps' level.

Basic stats are nice but doesn't pass the eye test for impact imo.

Not suggesting he isn't a very good player, he sees a lot of ball and is versatile, but he's not the guy you build a side around.

????

Merrett is a genuine gun IMO. If he's having that output as a top 3 player in a s**t side, I'd do many disturbing and illegal things to have him as a "10th player" in our side.

Mmmmm, makes me all warm and gooey just thinking about him in red, white and blue.
I think it speaks to our list that he would be roughlya 10th player in our side.

Notwithstanding forwards (Stringer, Boyd, etc.) and backs (Wood, Morris etc.) but purely talking midfielders, I would have Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Libba, Macrae ahead of him. JJ too if you include him. Then Picken, Daniel, Hunter around the same level.

* me we have some great talent.

????

I think many are missing my point.
I said he gives me SUPERSTAR in a s**t side vibes. That doesn't mean he isn't a good footballer or wouldn't be an excellent 5th or 6th best mid in a good side, just that he may not be a true number 1 or 2.

I think many are missing my point.
I said he gives me SUPERSTAR in a s**t side vibes. That doesn't mean he isn't a good footballer or wouldn't be an excellent 5th or 6th best mid in a good side, just that he may not be a true number 1 or 2.
I think what you say has Merrett.

Pre-Season doldrums.

Subscriber only

Yeah good post. It was also said in the context of being queried on TBoyds contract. So any other answer would be pushing his team mate under the bus.

Yeah good post. It was also said in the context of being queried on TBoyds contract. So any other answer would be pushing his team mate under the bus.
Or Jakey could have said " I had a truly horrible year last year by my
enormous All Australian standards, but i still kicked more goals than
Tom Boyd has kicked in his entire career to date, number one pick
my arse show me the money as i am the All Australian package. ";)

So now that all drafts are done - how is our list sitting, how is it likely to develop in 2017 and what will likely our needs?

What I have done to create some argument (in the football desert that is XMAS) is create a per position strength list - placing a potentially first choice 22 by structure (as opposed to best player as seen in some of the best 22 threads). And then indicated A,B or C for list strength roughly equating to A = top 5 in completion, B = next 5 and C the rest.

What do you guys think?

Ruck: Roughead, Campbell, English - B. Roughead was extremely valuable - getting much better as the year went on. His flexibility is his strength but arguably he is not in the top 10 rucks in the comp? Particularly in the hit outs - though for Bevo and Clarkson models this is not as important. Campbell was in front at the start of the year but with injuries has not yet got past being serviceable. English is arguably the best young talent - certainly in this draft but hasn't played a game yet and we know that a fair bit needs to come together to make a great ruckman. Score B.

Ruck-Rover: Bont. Dunkley, Jong. Score A. Mike drops......Of course for key roles others like Macrae, Stringer and Webb could come through here but have put them in their starting positions. These others make up for the relative middle level performance of Dunkley and Jong. We all love them but in this position we are competing with Fyfe, Dangerfield and Kennedy. To play this position at elite level you need to be flexible and powerful enough impose yourself on the game - winning in the middle, kicking goals or clunking a big mark.

Rover: Libba, Dalhaus, Daniel. Score A. As a group I can't see who get close to this?

Centre: Macrae, Wallis, Smith. With both Macrae and Wallis being elite we have a great 22 player and excellent coverage with a club favorite in Smith this has to be a score of A. What is ore these guys contribute goals and tackles.

FP: Dickson, Dale, Greene. Dickson is a consistent 40 goal forward and Dale really started to score well toward the end of the year and play an important role creating flow. Greene seems to fit the bill well given by his reports but is unproven. Score B

BIg FP/Powerforward: Stringer??? Not much depth here. With Bonti and Crameri providing coverage and Stringer being an AA standard - a 50+ forward (even in a rough year he got 40+ and we can bet is number will push 60 this year). We can probably argue a Score of B but in terms of list strength we don't have much direct coverage for the power marking forward.

FF: Boyd: Young. Boyd has become the star we hoped. If this can be maintained then we are well set up. His ability to play also in the rucks adds to his value but if he goes down? Campbell would probably come in a do OK but this is not depth. Even Essendon and Collingwood have similar capabilities. We have the position covered well so we could potentially hold an argument for a Score of B but could argue a C here given that this position will be held in the VFL by Young or English - neither of which are proven value.

Small HFF: Picken, McLean, Honey. Picken was arguably our best player in the finals and generally an obsolete star but is now 30. McLean is young and shows potential and Honey can hold his own - earning NRS nominate quickly after getting into the side. Probably lack a great crumber since Dahl moved into the midfield. Score B

Big HFF: Crameri, LIppy. Cramers offers great forward spread he cover territory like a winger and uses speed to get out the back. He is also a good long kick and big bodied enough to make for a hard match up. Goal output is not high but he is more of a big forward midfielder than a true lead up forward. Lippy could also fulfill this role. This is probably our weakest position and should Score a C. The only issue is that this is generally a hard position to fill and their are either not great players in these positions or players who would be fantastic like Darling are play KPF where they are undersized.

CHF: Cloke, Redpath, NMM - Score C based on Cloke's current form and the risk of return for Redpath. Also this is a premier position where generally your best player or close to is here given the incredible influence they can have on the game. Other teams around us ATM have Buddy, Lynch, Cameron, Tex - though Eagles and Geelong are not great here (Hawkins and Kennedy being FFs) and Hawks would be great but for the sad situation with Roughy. However if Cloke returns to his potential could be A with a 80+ goal, top 3 contested mark in the side and a proven AFL standard big guy pushing two goals a game in the two's. Big Reds development curve was outstanding and he has 6-7 years left. NMM is not coming with any real star quality but rare to have two mature and reasonable CHFs.

CHB: Fletch; ???. I am in the Fletch is way underrated category. But even I admit he couldn't be in the top 10 CHFs in the comp. Cordy can play here but doesn't have the height to do the job. One of Young and NMM will be groomed for this role because Cordy goes down and we will have problems covering the tall forwards most teams have: Jenkins, Tippett, 2MP, Patton, Moore etc etc - most teams have a close to 200cm forward. Fletch is 196 and has good reach but Cordy is 191-194 depending which list you ready. Either way is a long way off. Score C.

HBF: Quarterback: Bob, Biggs, Suckling, Hamilton. Bob is the best player in this position in the league. Biggs has grown so strongly that he is probably in the top 10 also. And Suckling has been disappointing but has had some very good games in this role. Score A. Despite this - Bob is only partially immortal and I expect the list management team is looking for ways to bolster this position soon.

HBF: Intercept/Offensive : Wood, R.Smith, Lynch. Wood is also the AA and leading Player in this position in the league. However, R.Smith and Lynch are a long way off proven. R.Smith has shown some good signs. Score B.

3rd Defender: Mid Flex: Morris, Cordy. Score B based on a great incumbent and very talented deputy but little depth. Morris retires and Cordy is a significant step down with no depth behind this. Will soon become a C and will need new talent.

BP: Moyd, JJ, Williams, Prudden. Score A - 2 elite players. Very good young talent and a reliable back up.

FB: Adams, Collins. Adams was certainly in top 10 before injury so and backing him to return to that form. Collins is steak tartare but hopefully will be ready to play towards the end of the year. Very little back up - some injury could have us playing too small or pulling Roughy down back. This person plays on the best Forward - normally a beast: Hawkins, Lynch, Kennedy, Tex - can't put a kid in. I was surprised we didn't take Brown because this is weak for us. We are backing our system to cover holes but we are weaker this year in these roles and could be a problem. Score C.

Summary - midfield is elite. Forwards are stronger. Defence is strong but weaker and some lack of depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now that all drafts are done - how is our list sitting, how is it likely to develop in 2017 and what will likely our needs?

What I have done to create some argument (in the football desert that is XMAS) is create a per position strength list - placing a potentially first choice 22 by structure (as opposed to best player as seen in some of the best 22 threads). And then indicated A,B or C for list strength roughly equating to A = top 5 in completion, B = next 5 and C the rest.

What do you guys think?

Ruck: Roughead, Campbell, English - B. Roughead was extremely valuable - getting much better as the year went on. His flexibility is his strength but arguably he is not in the top 10 rucks in the comp? Particularly in the hit outs - though for Bevo and Clarkson models this is not as important. Campbell was in front at the start of the year but with injuries has not yet got past being serviceable. English is arguably the best young talent - certainly in this draft but hasn't played a game yet and we know that a fair bit needs to come together to make a great ruckman. Score B.

Ruck-Rover: Bont. Dunkley, Jong. Score A. Mike drops......Of course for key roles others like Macrae, Stringer and Webb could come through here but have put them in their starting positions. These others make up for the relative middle level performance of Dunkley and Jong. We all love them but in this position we are competing with Fyfe, Dangerfield and Kennedy. To play this position at elite level you need to be flexible and powerful enough impose yourself on the game - winning in the middle, kicking goals or clunking a big mark.

Rover: Libba, Dalhaus, Daniel. Score A. As a group I can't see who get close to this?

Centre: Macrae, Wallis, Smith. With both Macrae and Wallis being elite we have a great 22 player and excellent coverage with a club favorite in Smith this has to be a score of A. What is ore these guys contribute goals and tackles.

FP: Dickson, Dale, Greene. Dickson is a consistent 40 goal forward and Dale really started to score well toward the end of the year and play an important role creating flow. Greene seems to fit the bill well given by his reports but is unproven. Score B

BIg FP/Powerforward: Stringer??? Not much depth here. With Bonti and Crameri providing coverage and Stringer being an AA standard - a 50+ forward (even in a rough year he got 40+ and we can bet is number will push 60 this year). We can probably argue a Score of B but in terms of list strength we don't have much direct coverage for the power marking forward.

FF: Boyd: Young. Boyd has become the star we hoped. If this can be maintained then we are well set up. His ability to play also in the rucks adds to his value but if he goes down? Campbell would probably come in a do OK but this is not depth. Even Essendon and Collingwood have similar capabilities. We have the position covered well so we could potentially hold an argument for a Score of B but could argue a C here given that this position will be held in the VFL by Young or English - neither of which are proven value.

Small HFF: Picken, McLean, Honey. Picken was arguably our best player in the finals and generally an obsolete star but is now 30. McLean is young and shows potential and Honey can hold his own - earning NRS nominate quickly after getting into the side. Probably lack a great crumber since Dahl moved into the midfield. Score B

Big HFF: Crameri, LIppy. Cramers offers great forward spread he cover territory like a winger and uses speed to get out the back. He is also a good long kick and big bodied enough to make for a hard match up. Goal output is not high but he is more of a big forward midfielder than a true lead up forward. Lippy could also fulfill this role. This is probably our weakest position and should Score a C. The only issue is that this is generally a hard position to fill and their are either not great players in these positions or players who would be fantastic like Darling are play KPF where they are undersized.

CHF: Cloke, Redpath, NMM - Score C based on Cloke's current form and the risk of return for Redpath. Also this is a premier position where generally your best player or close to is here given the incredible influence they can have on the game. Other teams around us ATM have Buddy, Lynch, Cameron, Tex - though Eagles and Geelong are not great here (Hawkins and Kennedy being FFs) and Hawks would be great but for the sad situation with Roughy. However if Cloke returns to his potential could be A with a 80+ goal, top 3 contested mark in the side and a proven AFL standard big guy pushing two goals a game in the two's. Big Reds development curve was outstanding and he has 6-7 years left. NMM is not coming with any real star quality but rare to have two mature and reasonable CHFs.

CHB: Fletch; ???. I am in the Fletch is way underrated category. But even I admit he couldn't be in the top 10 CHFs in the comp. Cordy can play here but doesn't have the height to do the job. One of Young and NMM will be groomed for this role because Cordy goes down and we will have problems covering the tall forwards most teams have: Jenkins, Tippett, 2MP, Patton, Moore etc etc - most teams have a close to 200cm forward. Fletch is 196 and has good reach but Cordy is 191-194 depending which list you ready. Either way is a long way off. Score C.

HBF: Quarterback: Bob, Biggs, Suckling, Hamilton. Bob is the best player in this position in the league. Biggs has grown so strongly that he is probably in the top 10 also. And Suckling has been disappointing but has had some very good games in this role. Score A. Despite this - Bob is only partially immortal and I expect the list management team is looking for ways to bolster this position soon.

HBF: Intercept/Offensive : Wood, R.Smith, Lynch. Wood is also the AA and leading Player in this position in the league. However, R.Smith and Lynch are a long way off proven. R.Smith has shown some good signs. Score B.

3rd Defender: Mid Flex: Morris, Cordy. Score B based on a great incumbent and very talented deputy but little depth. Morris retires and Cordy is a significant step down with no depth behind this. Will soon become a C and will need new talent.

BP: Moyd, JJ, Williams, Prudden. Score A - 2 elite players. Very good young talent and a reliable back up.

FB: Adams, Collins. Adams was certainly in top 10 before injury so and backing him to return to that form. Collins is steak tartare but hopefully will be ready to play towards the end of the year. Very little back up - some injury could have us playing too small or pulling Roughy down back. This person plays on the best Forward - normally a beast: Hawkins, Lynch, Kennedy, Tex - can't put a kid in. I was surprised we didn't take Brown because this is weak for us. We are backing our system to cover holes but we are weaker this year in these roles and could be a problem. Score C.

Summary - midfield is elite. Forwards are stronger. Defence is strong but weaker and some lack of depth.

Why are you choosing to ignore the fact that Boyd is used more as a ruck than as a forward? Include him in the forward stocks as well if you want but leaving him out of your list of rucks is a joke. Hes actually a bloody good ruck for his age and I imagine will play that ruck/fwd position for most of his career

Why are you choosing to ignore the fact that Boyd is used more as a ruck than as a forward? Include him in the forward stocks as well if you want but leaving him out of your list of rucks is a joke. Hes actually a bloody good ruck for his age and I imagine will play that ruck/fwd position for most of his career
Yes this, been saying all year that Tom Boyd will become our number 1 ruckman, i think the roughead and Boyd Combo works so well and both players started to gain so much confidence in the back end of the season and where really controlling the pace of the game.

I really see those two continue this in 2017 with Campbell playing mainly VFL with English developing his all round game, by 2018 Campbell might be traded with English starting to take over in the VFL.

would love to see English doing as much at training with the midfield group this year, roving and stuff

Boyd should never be more that a 50% ruckman.

If he became our number one ruckman it'd be pretty disappointing and a waste of what we paid to get him (overlooking the fact it basically got a us a premiership)

Boyd should never be more that a 50% ruckman.

If he became our number one ruckman it'd be pretty disappointing and a waste of what we paid to get him (overlooking the fact it basically got a us a premiership)
What we've paid is sunk cost. No matter what he becomes as a player, we've already spent that money. If the ruck ends up being the position where he offers the best contribution he can to our team, so be it. Personally, I think he'll go around 50-50 with Rough until English develops. At the moment, he has a huge impact on the game as a ruckman, and that is only going to get better with another preseason under his belt.

Boyd's link up capability and disposal are great for a man of his size, and when combined with his ability to impact the contest it makes him invaluable to us as a ruck/forward. More of a benefit to us in the ruck than as a stay at home forward at the moment.

Last edited:

Scrag, didn't try and offend anyone. The thread was around positional depth for list management purposes only - i.e. Where are we going to need to focus in the future.

If Boyd is to be classified as a Ruck first then that's a fair call / will be interesting to see how much he plays forward versus Ruck - particularly with Cloke.

From a list perspective Ruck talent is better but our FF position is much weaker. That's fine and not a surprise.

Of course as you kind of point out depth and game plan are two different things. Most of or players play multiple positions - a clear strength as we saw a few times during the year.

Pardon the intrusion but the Supercoach team picker opened up yesterday arvo and I noticed this...

440b64ff98f0c5656c2aceabfae54e1a.jpg

I also see you guys have been discussing him a little which fits with what Ive also heard.

Do you have any idea if its legit?

Im hoping deep down that its a temporary mistake and we end up taking him as weve heard good things about him and also been told extensively that we were getting him - will be a tad sad if its not true particularly as we as supporters had the Jarman rug pulled out from under us. Who wouldnt want a KPF with some apparent real potential!

Either way best of luck for next season.

Pardon the intrusion but the Supercoach team picker opened up yesterday arvo and I noticed this...

440b64ff98f0c5656c2aceabfae54e1a.jpg

I also see you guys have been discussing him a little which fits with what Ive also heard.

Do you have any idea if its legit?

Im hoping deep down that its a temporary mistake and we end up taking him as weve heard good things about him and also been told extensively that we were getting him - will be a tad sad if its not true particularly as we as supporters had the Jarman rug pulled out from under us. Who wouldnt want a KPF with some apparent real potential!

Either way best of luck for next season.
Confirmed by Sam Landsberger on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back