Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So is a Cat B rookie treated the same as other rookies in that if they are good enough, and there is a spot available, they can be elevated to the senior list to play?

Callum Ah Chee
Jarrad Grant
Mitch Hallahan
Jarrod Harbrow
Jack Leslie
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Martin
Brandon Matera
Steven May
Trent McKenzie
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Josh Schoenfeld
Matt Shaw
Mackenzie Willis
Peter Wright

Gold Coast uncontracted players at the end of 2017 ATM. Few names there would be niiiice.

Callum Ah Chee
Jarrad Grant
Mitch Hallahan
Jarrod Harbrow
Jack Leslie
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Martin
Brandon Matera
Steven May
Trent McKenzie
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Josh Schoenfeld
Matt Shaw
Mackenzie Willis
Peter Wright

Gold Coast uncontracted players at the end of 2017 ATM. Few names there would be niiiice.

Mm grant and harbrow yes please. Would be like having two Boyds and two JJs

Callum Ah Chee
Jarrad Grant
Mitch Hallahan
Jarrod Harbrow
Jack Leslie
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Martin
Brandon Matera
Steven May
Trent McKenzie
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Josh Schoenfeld
Matt Shaw
Mackenzie Willis
Peter Wright

The one I'd want the most is the one that seems the most likely to stay, Touk Miller. Steven May would be handy tho..

Callum Ah Chee
Jarrad Grant
Mitch Hallahan
Jarrod Harbrow
Jack Leslie
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Martin
Brandon Matera
Steven May
Trent McKenzie
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Josh Schoenfeld
Matt Shaw
Mackenzie Willis
Peter Wright

Imagine if we come get the name at the bottom? He and Boyd would be a handy combo. We could win a couple more flags.

I'm not sure going after gold coast players is the best idea. We saw how much they bled hawthorn dry. I just don't think we're going to have the trade assets to deal with them without crippling the club. It's not a case of "we'll just send one of our many good young mids up there", because our players aren't going to want to go to the gold coast (just like how hawthorn's didn't).

All their list concessions allow them to turn down a late first round pick and send a player to the psd just to prove a point. While other clubs would be crippled by giving up that potential first round pick for nothing, the gold coast don't have a strong need for the pick. The pick is far less valuable to them than it is to other clubs. Us giving them draft picks would be like a monkey trying to pay a chicken with bananas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure going after gold coast players is the best idea. We saw how much they bled hawthorn dry. I just don't think we're going to have the trade assets to deal with them without crippling the club. It's not a case of "we'll just send one of our many good young mids up there", because our players aren't going to want to go to the gold coast (just like how hawthorn's didn't).

All their list concessions allow them to turn down a late first round pick and send a player to the psd just to prove a point. While other clubs would be crippled by giving up that potential first round pick for nothing, the gold coast don't have a strong need for the pick. The pick is far less valuable to them than it is to other clubs. Us giving them draft picks would be like a monkey trying to pay a chicken with bananas.
What would the Monkey be buying off the Chicken in the first
place, eggs ? Poor analogy that one.;)

So obviously there's the draft night video of Dalrymple saying "Yeah, we're happy we got these players etc", but of course he pretty much has to say that. Does anyone actually know if these were the players we genuinely wanted? Lipinski, Young and Greene weren't mentioned ANYWHERE in any mock drafts, so just curious to see whether these are the guys we'd have picked at these numbers regardless, or whether we were hopeful of some sliding that didn't etc.

Has Pann met up with him yet and got the goss and I've missed it?

So obviously there's the draft night video of Dalrymple saying "Yeah, we're happy we got these players etc", but of course he pretty much has to say that. Does anyone actually know if these were the players we genuinely wanted? Lipinski, Young and Greene weren't mentioned ANYWHERE in any mock drafts, so just curious to see whether these are the guys we'd have picked at these numbers regardless, or whether we were hopeful of some sliding that didn't etc.

Dalrymple mentioned we were looking at a few needs later in the draft so I'm guessing Young and Greene were more needs based picks. Lipinski is very much a Dalrymple type, me and another poster Wizard mentioned him a few times. I had him predicted going at our 3rd, but it wasn't a surprise when his name was read out then especially with Cedric Cox (someone we were heavily linked to) off the board. Todd Marshall was another we were heavily linked to as well but was gone before our first.

Last edited:
Dalrymple mentioned we were looking at a few needs later in the draft so I'm guessing Young and Greene were more needs based picks. Lipinski is very much a Dalrymple type, me and another poster Wizard mentioned him a few times. I had him predicted going at our 3rd, but it wasn't a surprise when his name was read out then especially with Cedric Cox (someone we were heavily linked to) was off the board. Todd Marshall was another we were heavily linked to as well but was gone before our first.

I believe there was a post I made prior to the draft in which I said I wouldn't have been surprised if we took Lipinski with our second pick just because of how he seemed like a player that Dalrymple would really like.

Pretty happy we took him. Plenty of upside.

you had me at fergus

I believe there was a post I made prior to the draft in which I said I wouldn't have been surprised if we took Lipinski with our second pick just because of how he seemed like a player that Dalrymple would really like.

Pretty happy we took him. Plenty of upside.
Dangerfield Fyfe and Bont played a lot of their 18s on a HFF so didn't get the midfield numbers but had huge upside, i can see Lipinski being the same kinda player. not saying he will get to the level of these 3 but he'll be a solid midfielder

All in all, given our position, our age profile and list balance we did very well through the trade and draft period.

Lost only one we would like to keep but have 3 replacements for Hamling.

Injured players coming back, suspended players then trade and draft leaves up with no obvious weakness and competition accross the board. Also there is still enourmous improvement potential in key players given their age.

Subjectivity rating the period with a grading I beleive to be a nonsense as what base are we comparing too?

We have continued to improve the list profile it is now up to the players and all of those that develop them to turn that list profile to more success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back