Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think there will be a few more clubs looking at him this year, a lot of talk about Reid and Scache, Scache is one for the future but Redpath would be an excellent cheap aquisition for any club.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Tiges might also want to look at Mitch Brown, Butcher and Gumbleton. Good cheap pickups.

Yeah I think there will be a few more clubs looking at him this year, a lot of talk about Reid and Scache, Scache is one for the future but Redpath would be an excellent cheap aquisition for any club.

I adore Red and love watching him play but from my perspective he is quite limited. He is a lead, mark, goal full forward and not much more. He may be worth a go as somebody to take some heat off Riewoldt but I strongly doubt he will change your fortunes much.

I adore Red and love watching him play but from my perspective he is quite limited. He is a lead, mark, goal full forward and not much more. He may be worth a go as somebody to take some heat off Riewoldt but I strongly doubt he will change your fortunes much.
Yeah I understand he has limitations, but I think on the cheap, he could be a serviceable player, from our second KPF in the past 10 games they've only kicked one goal, and that came last night against Essendon from Elton, Redpath alone after 12 months out coming back from a knee reco couple weeks ago already has done better then that.

Yeah those knee injuries are a bit troubling but you gotta take a risk every now and then, especially for the big power forwards.

Vickery in the end didn't provide much of a contest or an aerial target, something I believe we could get out of Redpath, along with the goals he could kick, Redpath would have Riewoldt in the forward line and our mosquito fleet of Bolton, Rioli Castagna etc I think he'd an excellent get.

How long did Cloke sign on for? Would you guys retire Cloke off first before trading out Redpath?

Redpath is ver poor aerially on the high ball. As bad if not Worse than Vickery IMO. Cloke has another year after this.

I don't know what our list managers intend. My guess is they'd prefer to retain Red but certainly wouldn't get into a bidding war for him.

IMO Red is gap fill until Boyd kicks on or someone better comes along - hence the one year contracts. Cloke, again IMO, is marginally better than Red because he can contest a high ball and has more of a tank to lead high. Of course Trav can't kick at goal unlike Steady Red.

If another club offers a multi year contract above minimum chips, I can't imagine we'd stretch hard to match. Well I hope we wouldn't

While others may have a higher opinion of Red, it's hard to argue with the club's valuation which only gives him one year deals.

Yeah those knee injuries are a bit troubling but you gotta take a risk every now and then, especially for the big power forwards.

Vickery in the end didn't provide much of a contest or an aerial target, something I believe we could get out of Redpath, along with the goals he could kick, Redpath would have Riewoldt in the forward line and our mosquito fleet of Bolton, Rioli Castagna etc I think he'd an excellent get.

How long did Cloke sign on for? Would you guys retire Cloke off first before trading out Redpath?

The problem is that apart from Redpath we have a 30 year old who the majority of the football world thinks is cooked. Those two are our only key forwards. Id rather keep redpath on our list for a minimum lf 2 years so that we can draft someone to take over. Otherwise we would have to sell the farm (which we arent in a positiom to do). He has more benefit to us than a lot around here realise.

Redpath is ver poor aerially on the high ball. As bad if not Worse than Vickery IMO. Cloke has another year after this.

I don't know what our list managers intend. My guess is they'd prefer to retain Red but certainly wouldn't get into a bidding war for him.

IMO Red is gap fill until Boyd kicks on or someone better comes along - hence the one year contracts. Cloke, again IMO, is marginally better than Red because he can contest a high ball and has more of a tank to lead high. Of course Trav can't kick at goal unlike Steady Red.

If another club offers a multi year contract above minimum chips, I can't imagine we'd stretch hard to match. Well I hope we wouldn't

While others may have a higher opinion of Red, it's hard to argue with the club's valuation which only gives him one year deals.

Yeah from what I've seen he's more of your lead up type forward, our club is crying out for a big KF to play as the link between the arcs and take pressure off Riewoldt, something I think Redpath could do if he stays fit.

Yeah from what I've seen he's more of your lead up type forward, our club is crying out for a big KF to play as the link between the arcs and take pressure off Riewoldt, something I think Redpath could do if he stays fit.

Doubt Red has the tank to work between the arcs. Cloke does...you missed out...

The problem is that apart from Redpath we have a 30 year old who the majority of the football world thinks is cooked. Those two are our only key forwards. Id rather keep redpath on our list for a minimum lf 2 years so that we can draft someone to take over. Otherwise we would have to sell the farm (which we arent in a positiom to do). He has more benefit to us than a lot around here realise.

Yeah was interesting to read that you guys offered him a one year contract last year, I guess with him coming out of contract this year, and clubs always looking at big KPFs I think if he leaves you guys should get something decent for him.

To get a May....in a heartbeat. I am only saying to get a May, Hurley, Rance type.

You don't improve your list by trading away gun players to get another gun player, you are just robbing Peter to pay Paul. You get them to nominate your club then use draft picks and players outside your top 10 for that, like Geelong did for Dangerfield, Saints did with Carlisle, Hawks did for Burgoyne,Brisbane did for Beams etc etc etc

You don't improve your list by trading away gun players to get another gun player, you are just robbing Peter to pay Paul. You get them to nominate your club then use draft picks and players outside your top 10 for that, like Geelong did for Dangerfield, Saints did with Carlisle, Hawks did for Burgoyne,Brisbane did for Beams etc etc etc

To be honest unless you are trading for an established A grade player in a position you need and you are on the cusp of a flag I can't the point of trading for mature age players at all. You win flags through the draft, then years of teaching your group how to play together. By bringing in older players you might make the coach a bit happier but really is any club better off finishing 7 th instead of 10 th or 14 th instead of 17 th.

The best players are always found in the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest unless you are trading for an established A grade player in a position you need and you are on the cusp of a flag I can't the point of trading for mature age players at all. You win flags through the draft, then years of teaching your group how to play together. By bringing in older players you might make the coach a bit happier but really is any club better off finishing 7 th instead of 10 th or 14 th instead of 17 th.
Depends on what your list looks like - if you need leadership on the list or cultural change (professionalism) you absolutely bring in a mature player who will help in that regard i.e. Cross going to Melbourne, Kelly to Essendon.

Not sure if true but I read clubs can expect a $2M increase in cap next yr as a one off, before rising gradually over remaining years of agreement. If true, that would make the Boyd deal look even better given next year is his biggest year apparently. Should also help us with efforts to retain JJ and chase May (or anyone else we're after).

I was much happier the dogs finished 7th last year than 10th.

Spent some time with some of Steven May's mates from up North recently.

He wants to stay at GC, but also wants success. He's been pretty firm in saying to the Suns that they need to get their s**t together.

Even the smallest sign of the club coming good and he'll stay they reckon. Loves it there, can basically walk around like a nobody unless your name is G Ablett.

So anyone keen on him should be hoping GC keep failing.

Depends on what your list looks like - if you need leadership on the list or cultural change (professionalism) you absolutely bring in a mature player who will help in that regard i.e. Cross going to Melbourne, Kelly to Essendon.

How did Cross help Melbourne ? He played well there but they are nowhere near playing finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did Cross help Melbourne ? He played well there but they are nowhere near playing finals
Player development, professional training standards - it's one of the first things Roos identified and they specifically targeted a player who could fill the role, all but admitting that letting Junior McDonald go was a mistake (who by all accounts was very well regarded for his development and leadership at GWS) .

You don't just select players and they develop naturally - player development is a massive focus at clubs these days. It's the whole reason we have leadership groups, mentors, programs etc

Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston,
Turn it up. We need a kpd, if it costs a young mid which we have a surplus of then so be it. We pick and choose trade targets. Not use a shotgun strategy like Nth or Collingwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cross helped the club internally by showing how to have a elite standard in training habits and how to improve their overall game.

Burgoyne, Lake, Gunston,
Turn it up. We need a kpd, if it costs a young mid which we have a surplus of then so be it. We pick and choose trade targets. Not use a shotgun strategy like Nth or Collingwood.

We have a surplus of young kids?

Please explain

We have a surplus of young kids?

Please explain
We have a surplus of young mids. We have a deficit of kpds. I would have thought for sure you would be happy to offload a Jong to sweeten a May deal. It must be pointed out I would only do this if a gun kpp is involved. Example May or Hurley

Last edited:
We have a surplus of young mids. We have a deficit of kpds. I would have thought for sure you would be happy to offload a Jong to sweeten a May deal. It must be pointed out I would only do this if a gun kpp is involved. Example May or Hurley

Mate I'd be happy to swap Jong for Ty Vickery I'm just not sure I agree we have a surplus of mids that are going to be good enough.

But I do agree that if May is interested we could sweeten the deal with a player but unlike most I read don't over rate the blokes we would let go to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back