Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does "extension on his rookie deal" mean exactly? It says a one year extension to 2020, but we can keep him on the rookie list until 2021 anyway. I don't get it. Does it mean we've committed to promoting him at the end of the year?
generally rookie deals are just one year contracts, so they appear to be adding an extra year to his rookie deal.
So he will stay on the rookie list

Just saw Roughead's stats from last night: 20 disposals with 13 marks! His career averages with us were 11 and 4. I know it's only 1 game but these stats must be career bests. Many contributors on WB Bigfooty used terms like "cooked" and "past it" to describe his recent form with us. The change has done him the world of good (thus far) and we may be forced to eat humble pie if he plays in another premiership. Long way to go yet.
I didn’t see last nights game but I read something that suggested they were doing a lot of uncontested chipping the ball around the backline. Not hard to knock up a lot of easy marks and kicks doing that if that’s really what was going on.

Nonetheless he has started the season well. There are a lot more possibilities than him just deciding not to put in the effort for a couple of years.

For instance (not exhaustive):
- he was carrying long term niggling injuries at the Dogs and he’s now clear of them (not saying the Pies’ medicos are better than ours but that’s also a possibility to consider)
- he had differences with certain players or coaching staff and wasn’t enjoying his footy at the Dogs as much as he used to
- Collingwood had a need that he more or less fitted and have worked out a role for him that complements their other defenders (a role we couldn’t establish for whatever reason, maybe he didn’t fit Bevos game style)
- he is simply responding with increased confidence to being wanted and feeling part of the team (he was marginal at the Dogs). Exhibit B for this phenomenon is Sam Lloyd.

I’m not an insider and have no idea what the real reason is. It could be any of the above (or a combination) or maybe something else.
However suggestions he wasn’t trying for us sound hollow to me, unless someone can provide better evidence. He was always a strong clubman, he took on a coaching role with the women’s team and I think was part of our leadership group. All that suggests a pretty strong commitment.

My feeling is he was pushed to “consider alternative career options” towards the end of last season rather than he deserted us.

Good luck to him for finding a spot so quickly. I think there’s a good chance we’ll see him in some capacity at the Dogs when his playing career ends, maybe coaching. His time at Collingwood might be quite beneficial.

Roughead was solid but stats weren’t the story of how he played. Did the job he would have been asked, but credit to him his field kicking was great & barely missed a target

Probably a bit unusual to extend a rookie contract now but I like it. Its just reward for a good preseason really, gotta remember these kids arent high draft picks who were certain to get on an AFL list and even when delisted would easily find a second chance somewhere, chances are he would have thought he wouldnt be drafted at all (overager too isnt he?) and even when on as a rookie youre absolutely no certainty to get a 2nd year so its probably a massive deal for the kid, even though it doesnt seem like a big deal to us.

https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2018-11-23/rookie-lachlan-young-highlights

As soon as i saw this video after we drafted him I said I loved the look of him and after watching again he looks like hes got some seriously impressive attributes. Absolutely love his willingness to take the game on whether its dangerous kicks into the middle or first instinct to side step and run. And all the talk coming from the club is that hes got some serious aggression too which is a nice surprise. Throw in his long arms and ability to read the play and we might have found ourself that perfect hybrid defender that were so reliant on and that bev loves. I dont doubt that if he could bev would play a defence of 6 Lachie Young type players.

I dont think itll be long before we see him, kid needs to put on some serious size though.

Just say he makes the grade just as an example imagine a backline of Cordy as the main tall with support from Crozier, Wood, Williams and Young. Undersized? * yeah it is but I doubt thered be many teams capable of beating them aerially if they all gelled and learnt to cover each other. Plus you throw in JJ and Daniel and is there any team that would be able to counter that backline offensively? The drive wed get from half back would be insane. Thats not even throwing Naughty into the mix too.

Im sure thats bevs goal and while its not there yet and it looks dumb as * sometimes if he can pull it off itll be game changing, that idea is our ticket to get a one up on the competition in some way and win another flag imo.

Last edited:
It’s pretty clear now that there was a lack of effort to play good football in his last couple of seasons with us.

I like Roughy but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That's a ridiculous statement. He was played all over the place while at the Dogs and was constantly putting his body on the line, over and over again. At the Dogs, he was basically the hole filler, who was routinely getting crunched by packs. Game in, game out.

His job at Collingwood has been made easier because he is playing solely as a defender (so far), and their midfield is playing well enough that his job as a defender is made easier. He also isn't routinely being used as the guy who stands in the hole for others to use as a marking pad.

I usually agree but the contrast in form within 6mths is a bit of a stretch.

The club and coaches developed him in to a premiership ruckman, particularly during the Bevo era, so for his form to drop in the following couple of years has to largely be the responsibility of the player.
He was that bad in 17/18 that we agreed to offload to a rival club because he needed a “ fresh start “.

Like I said... bad taste

Pies had most of their backline playing loose, I wouldn’t worry to much about it

Its really is with the benefit of hindsight after Morris going down and Toyd not getting up that anybody could lament Roughead's moving on. He showed many of the glaring weaknesses that forced us into playing him in the ruck and not deep in defence last night. He's just too slow off the mark when asked to man a player deep in defence and has never been a particularly physical one on one player. This was clearly evident the number of times that he trailed in behind Lynch as he led out and marked strongly. As has been pointed out his stats where padded out by Collingwood's dominance of the middle of the ground where they could dictate play by switching backwards and across the half back line. He will get terribly exposed if the Pies lose sway through the middle of the ground and he is being asked to stand a gun KPP like Buddy of Kennedy. We've all seen it.

He is a club immortal, so I don't begrudge him moving on and if it does somewhat revitalise his career I couldn't be happier, but he just didnt have a long term future at our club.

In the trade period, after Adams' out confirmed, I've said we should keep Roughy as backup defender, he was our number 1 defender and one of the most important players in the team back in Macca's days. and again it's sad to see someone question Roughy's professionalism/love towards our club.

Its really is with the benefit of hindsight after Morris going down and Toyd not getting up that anybody could lament Roughead's moving on. He showed many of the glaring weaknesses that forced us into playing him in the ruck and not deep in defence last night. He's just too slow off the mark when asked to man a player deep in defence and has never been a particularly physical one on one player. This was clearly evident the number of times that he trailed in behind Lynch as he led out and marked strongly. As has been pointed out his stats where padded out by Collingwood's dominance of the middle of the ground where they could dictate play by switching backwards and across the half back line. He will get terribly exposed if the Pies lose sway through the middle of the ground and he is being asked to stand a gun KPP like Buddy of Kennedy. We've all seen it.

He is a club immortal, so I don't begrudge him moving on and if it does somewhat revitalise his career I couldn't be happier, but he just didnt have a long term future at our club.
Dont u find it intriguing Norm that two of our more maligned talls in recent times, being Boyd and Roughy, absolutely stood up when it mattered.
Incoming cliche but finals tend to sort the wheat from the chaff in the character sense Granted you have to get there thru Rnds1-23 and therein lies the paradox. A seemingly ordinary player rises to the occasion and is able to execute under finals pressure yet the round robin star very often crumbles under the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont u find it intriguing Norm that two of our more maligned talls in recent times, being Boyd and Roughy, absolutely stood up when it mattered.
Incoming cliche but finals tend to sort the wheat from the chaff in the character sense Granted you have to get there thru Rnds1-23 and therein lies the paradox. A seemingly ordinary player rises to the occasion and is able to execute under finals pressure yet the round robin star very often crumbles under the same.

Cliché Deux: Every Dog has his day

Cliché Trois: All premiership dogs go do heaven, even if they play at another club for a while.

In the trade period, after Adams' out confirmed, I've said we should keep Roughy as backup defender, he was our number 1 defender and one of the most important players in the team back in Macca's days. and again it's sad to see someone question Roughy's professionalism/love towards our club.
I think the issue was we told him he would be back up only so we encouraged him to explore free agency thinking we’d get ok compo. Instead the Eagles took Hickey which meant no free agency and we had to cop pick 75. If we got 3rd round compo it would have been a pick in the 40s. I would have preferred to keep him too but can’t blame him if he wanted to be more than backup. Hopefully a lesson learned for Power as essentially as soon as the Eagles didn’t want him as a free agent he had little value elsewhere but had already made up his mind he was leaving

Unfortunately you can't keep them all. Roughie had to do what was best for him. His future was going to be limited with us.

Clubs always get injuries you just never know who it's going to be. Richmond's charmed run seems to be over. France preseason previously he had missed like 9 games in the past 8-9 years.
Can't make list decisions around who might get hurt. As it's a collision sport anyone could go down at anytime. Just hoping we have a better run this year

Mofra Bad luck, Alex Sexton has signed a 4-year contract extension, so that rules him out
Yep disappointed but good for the Suns, players staying is a positive

You guys really miss Roughead?

Watch the game. He barely won a contest. He was barely involved in a contest.

I’m glad he’s gone.
Great respect for him but I think he is / was cooked

That's a ridiculous statement. He was played all over the place while at the Dogs and was constantly putting his body on the line, over and over again. At the Dogs, he was basically the hole filler, who was routinely getting crunched by packs. Game in, game out.

His job at Collingwood has been made easier because he is playing solely as a defender (so far), and their midfield is playing well enough that his job as a defender is made easier. He also isn't routinely being used as the guy who stands in the hole for others to use as a marking pad.

What ? Putting his body on the line over and over, getting crunched game in game out ?
I don’t mind putting a little extra mayo on things but you’ve just taken it to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back