Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not the cap I’m worried about. It’s the currency required to fix the holes we have. I’d be shocked if we didn’t have at least 10 new players on our list next year.
We have maybe 12-15 AFL standard locks in our side out of our whole list. Dunkley is one of them.

There would be 30 players on our list I'd cut or trade before Dunkley. We have high picks and huge cap space, and the issue is attracting players to us not finding currency for trades.

With our need for tall defenders I believe we could do worst that make a play for GWS Aidan Corr 195 cm 97 kgs and has good speed. He has had a bad run with injury the last 2 seasons nothing to serious some breaks and a groin. Prior to that he was regular in 2017. He was recruited from the Knights so there maybe a come home factor, the right age for us, GWS need salary cap space and he would not cost a lot in a trade maybe late second or third rounder.

Last edited:

If we trade either Macrae or Dunkley we really are a stupid club. These two players are coming into the prime of their football careers and I want them playing for us not assisting other teams to achieve success.
With the 6 6 6 we have seen how critical it is to dominate the centre clearances. In 2 years time with a mature english and Bont, Smith, Dunks, Macrae and Libba in the guts we will be very hard to beat

With the 6 6 6 we have seen how critical it is to dominate the centre clearances. In 2 years time with a mature english and Bont, Smith, Dunks, Macrae and Libba in the guts we will be very hard to beat
+ Ewan McPherson ;)

Push English and Cordy forward. Then we can patch the three major holes up with trades/fa.

CHB (Tomlinson) he plays Cordys role on the most athletic tall forwards.

FB - poach one of Carlton’s tall defenders. No chance they can fit all of Weitering, Jones, Levi, Marchbank and Plowman. In that order is my preference.

Ruck - Give Paddy Ryder the two year deal he wants.

Also trade a fringe player for a small speedy small forward. Bailey Dale might be the one let go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke on here mentioned Dunks was signing 5 years? How far off is that away so we can all take a huge sigh of relief

We have maybe 12-15 AFL standard locks in our side out of our whole list. Dunkley is one of them.

There would be 30 players on our list I'd cut or trade before Dunkley. We have high picks and huge cap space, and the issue is attracting players to us not finding currency for trades.
Agree about the locks. Agree that Dunkley is one. I reckon there’s probably only 3-4 guys on our list with more currency than Dunks, English is debatable and I’d have Macrae, Bont and Naughton ahead of him.

There is many we can chop before him, unfortunately many of them hold little to no currency.

I’m not sure how it works if we can trade second round picks if we move on multiple first round picks. But given we have some sizeable holes on our list and our last big trade cost us $6- $7m, pick 6 and a contracted captain, I’m not sure our assets get us all that much right now.

This isn’t to say we can’t plug those gaps with what we have. Just have to make smart decisions and given we have some inexperienced operators at the helm right now, I don’t have a lot of belief in them.

I guess where I’m coming from can be likened to Monopoly. If giving up Mayfair gets me the light blue and pink properties required to complete my sets so I can start putting houses and hotels there then I’m probably doing it.

The first round is looking very midfield heavy. What do people think about trading down for a couple of extra picks?

The first round is looking very midfield heavy. What do people think about trading down for a couple of extra picks?
There’s a couple of outstanding mid sized Connor Rozee type fwds that’ll go top 10.
Exactly the type we need. Would be spewing if we traded down and missed out.
Dylan Williams, Sam Flanders and Cam Taheny all look like great forward options, and at least one would be available in the back end of the first round, so I wouldn't mind trading down to secure talent as well (i.e. Pick 5/6 in return for a good player and Pick 15 or whatever).

Taheny is the lowest rated of the 3, but kicked 5 goals in the SANFL seniors last week or week before, and had kicked 11 goals over 3 games. He can already perform against grown adults in a competitive state league (i.e. not NEAFL)

If he does a good shut down role on a tall, why does he need to be heavily noticeable? Does any player kick bags of goals on him?

Ben Brown kicked 5 on him the other week. Cameron and Finlayson kicked 12 between them earlier in the year, not sure how much he played on them though. Seems to have trouble against Mason Cox as well. That's just off the top of my head.

Personally not a big fan, seems to struggle a bit without Rance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back