Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like the 3-4 players we are linked to but I can’t see how we can realistically get them all.The cash side of it I think we can do but our draft picks I don’t think we can. The only decent trade bait people have suggested is Williams. I think we should shop around McLean, yes he’s a good player but he is being wasted playing in the forward line as he is a far better midfielder. People on here keep saying they want A to B grade players to join our club but would only trade out C to D grade players. So who else that has any good value would you trade...?

I like the 3-4 players we are linked to but I can’t see how we can realistically get them all.The cash side of it I think we can do but our draft picks I don’t think we can. The only decent trade bait people have suggested is Williams. I think we should shop around McLean, yes he’s a good player but he is being wasted playing in the forward line as he is a far better midfielder. People on here keep saying they want A to B grade players to join our club but would only trade out C to D grade players. So who else that has any good value would you trade...?
We're apparently after Keath, Bruce, AMT and Smith right?

We've got our 2019 1st and 2nd rounder, and 2020 1st or 2nd (can't trade both). Smith will be a 3rd rounder, so plenty of currency for the others.

Mofra where do you see there being holes in our list?

KPD maybe? (Or is Lewis Young the answer?)
Lively small forwards? (Bailey Dale, Lloyd, McClean ...)

'Plugging holes' implies that our young talent might not make it.
I'm not sold on the idea of bringing in stars from a cultural perspective, unless they come at a fair price and are outstanding people.

If you look at who has won a premiership in the past decade who has loaded up on free agent talent to get a flag? Maybe Hawks (Burgoyne, Lake ...). Buddy to swans has not delivered a flag. Likewise Dangerfield to Cats (yet).
KPD, and some outside attacking class. A second wing to partner with Hunter would be perfect too.

The only realistic alternative KPD scenario to Trengove/Cordy is Lewis Young who is a work in progress, or sending Nughton back which I'm against. We absolutely need cover there.

Dickson was delist material until recently, Dale has played a really good month but is inconsistent, Lloyd only has a couple of years left and others are untried and not really pressure forwards anyway.

The players we have been linked to all seem to fit into one of these three categories, except for Josh Bruce who isn't much of a backman IMO.

So Done want to resign everyone on the list coz they are great and then bring in more players on top?

Please explain ?

If we don’t make room for at least
6/7 moves we won’t get a decent trade/draft period done

Picken out
Boyd out
Moz to rookie
Webb out
Roberts out
Webb out
Jong out
RSmith out
Williams out
Gardner out
Gowers out

These are the moves that can make this happen and most if not all should happen.

And IF we bring in ATM I’d consider trading Caleb. Caleb’s spot in the backline is gone and you cannot play two blokes this small forward so he has some value. Considering we will have guys like Libba and Wall as depth possibly he could help us get something. And before people lose their minds about this I’m only saying this IF we get Tippa.(which I’m still not happy with but whatever)

We are an injury away from our KPF stocks being absolutely horrendous.

And our ruck stocks are still too thin.

Ruck isn’t a priority but I’d like a cheap option as backup.

KPF we hopefully get Bruce.

Bevs philosophy will be to solve both problems with the same player. Trengrove can ruck. Schache can ruck. Young can ruck, etc... Will not play a dedicated ruck unless the guy can get around the ground and make himself useful in moving the ball.

Bev is the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs from the dogs list.

So Done want to resign everyone on the list coz they are great and then bring in more players on top?

Please explain ?

Picken out
Boyd out
Moz to rookie
Webb out
Roberts out
Webb out
Jong out
RSmith out
Williams out
Gardner out
Gowers out

These are the moves that can make this happen and most if not all should happen.

And IF we bring in ATM I’d consider trading Caleb. Caleb’s spot in the backline is gone and you cannot play two blokes this small forward so he has some value. Considering we will have guys like Libba and Wall as depth possibly he could help us get something. And before people lose their minds about this I’m only saying this IF we get Tippa.(which I’m still not happy with but whatever)
I’d give Webb one more year to prove himself. If it clicks for him he could be a weapon. Roberts is break glass option on not much wages (need guys like this just in case) so would keep. Caleb I’m 50/50 on. Williams I’d trade but talk on here is close to resigning. Others I agree.

Bevs philosophy will be to solve both problems with the same player. Trengrove can ruck. Schache can ruck. Young can ruck, etc... Will not play a dedicated ruck unless the guy can get around the ground and make himself useful in moving the ball.

Bev is the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs from the dogs list.

This is true. I’m not advocating bringing in any old ruck. Certainly not a dinosaur like Zac Clarke.

Obviously have to have the attributes required.

We're apparently after Keath, Bruce, AMT and Smith right?

We've got our 2019 1st and 2nd rounder, and 2020 1st or 2nd (can't trade both). Smith will be a 3rd rounder, so plenty of currency for the others.
I thought you couldn’t trade your 1st picks two years in a row..? Or is it you can’t trade 2 future picks..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is little more certain than at least Picken, Boyd, Webb and Roberts dropping off the list and it’s pretty likely Roarke will go too.

Williams will likely be traded (though the HS said otherwise). Jong is contracted but wouldn’t be surprised if he wrapped it up given his issues and that he can’t get on the park.

In terms of tradeables, I worry a bit for Wallis because he wants to play midfield but won’t get much of a look in if our best guys are available. He has a bit of currency and would neatly slot into a side like Essendon who need a player of his type. Love him but he may need a move for his own sake.

I thought you couldn’t trade your 1st picks two years in a row..? Or is it you can’t trade 2 future picks..?
I’m sure someone can clarify this here. It’s something like can’t trade out more than 2 first rounders in 4 years and if you trade a future first you can’t trade any other future picks.
Regardless, we’re going to need all the draft currency we can get in 2020 if we’re expecting to land Marra, McPherson plus other NGAs next year. Especially if the AFL removes the discount on points that clubs currently get.

Would sooner shop Wallis than McLean. McLean much neater with ball in hand.

Would sooner shop Wallis than McLean. McLean much neater with ball in hand.
From a club perspective, yes, but I think you could convince Toby to move a bit easier than Wally. Mitch bleeds red, white and blue and took unders last yr to stay at the club. If we told Toby he may not be best 22 and we advised him to look at options, I think he'd be more likely to do that.

From a club perspective, yes, but I think you could convince Toby to move a bit easier than Wally. Mitch bleeds red, white and blue and took unders last yr to stay at the club. If we told Toby he may not be best 22 and we advised him to look at options, I think he'd be more likely to do that.

So we have room for Will Hayes and Rhylee West in the side currently but you want to tell McLean he's not best 22? Just because his Dad didn't play for the club doesn't mean he isn't as integral.
Toby is best 22 at any club in the league. Wallis is not best 22 for us.

So we have room for Will Hayes and Rhylee West in the side currently but you want to tell McLean he's not best 22? Just because his Dad didn't play for the club doesn't mean he isn't as integral.
That he is but I doubt he really wants to spend his whole career sitting in our forward line and just giving a chop out in the midfield every now and then...??? He’s way more affective as a midfielder. But who are we going to drop in our team for him to play in the guts..? He’s even less likely next year to play in the midfield with Libba and west.

Please explain ?

Picken out
Boyd out
Moz to rookie
Webb out
Roberts out
Webb out
Jong out
RSmith out
Williams out
Gardner out
Gowers out

Agree with a lot of that. A fair few players are contracted though. I'd move on:

Webb, Roberts, Morris, Boyd, Picken
Roarke Smith and Gardner from the rookie list
Then I'd try and trade Jong. He will be behind about 3 inside mids for a spot.

Keep Williams as he can play mid and if
Keep Wallis (unless he wants games elsewhere, then I'd encourage him to go)
Keep Libba as he has no value
Keep Gowers unless we get two of Bruce, Martin and AMT. Would need to trade or pay him out though.

I'd also trade Daniel for a top 20 pick

That's kind of the point. He falls in that surplus-to-our-needs but walk-up-start-in-most-sides category which means he's got more value to other clubs than to us. We'd obviously play him but not where he's at his best.

For the record I love Toby and it would hurt me greatly to see him in other colours. But I can't deny the logic.

What is it about McLean that people love so much? He was a good inside player last year but he's well down the pecking order there. He's been able to sneak some difficult goals through but he's not really prolific at it. The Geelong game was great but he wasn't repeated that since. Not saying we should think about moving him on and there's no one pushing him out of the current squad but he's frustrating me a fair bit with how up and down he can be. Hopefully this has just been a development year for him in his new role and he's a better player next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back