Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webb is... okay. He's a solid user of the ball but he lacks a ton of elements to make it as a footballer. Not particularly athletic, solidly built but not physically imposing, doesn't really have any pace or a vertical leap. He's a player whose level is as a good VFL inside midfielder but he's never going to be one at AFL level.

Can't fault his endeavour for coming back from a fractured neck but he honestly would have probably been delisted last year if not for his injury.

Feel like that is changing with Redpath, Biggs, Dahl and Stringer gone. Although I do think Roarke Smith and Lukas Webb are weirdly strange and would be an acquired taste.

Dunkley just seems like the nicest, most normal guy ever. More like him thanks.
True true
Only odd bloke i love is Libba, his instagram game is on point

Feel like that is changing with Redpath, Biggs, Dahl and Stringer gone. Although I do think Roarke Smith and Lukas Webb are weirdly strange and would be an acquired taste.

Dunkley just seems like the nicest, most normal guy ever. More like him thanks.

What - and become vanilla - more Libba's please

Saints have paid out the contract of Robbie Young and delisted him when he still had a year to go, as he was surplus to requirements.

Wonder if the club would consider doing the same to Brad Lynch. He went so far backwards this year it was incredible, and still has a year to go. I don't like the look of delisting contracted players, but man would that extra list spot be nice right now. There'd be a few in trouble if we went down that avenue

Saints have paid out the contract of Robbie Young and delisted him when he still had a year to go, as he was surplus to requirements.

Wonder if the club would consider doing the same to Brad Lynch. He went so far backwards this year it was incredible, and still has a year to go. I don't like the look of delisting contracted players, but man would that extra list spot be nice right now. There'd be a few in trouble if we went down that avenue

Probably depends on how much Boyd money is left over.

I’d rookie Webb b4 Gardner, Khamis or Smith.
Lynch had a couple of niggles last year but did fall off the radar. Hopefully some honest dialogue at exit interview sees him back to 2018 form. He has the spoken we crave and pretty useful disposer of the pill. Don’t throw out the bath water just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should pick up Nick Robertson from Brisbane and play him against the Giants.
He could have a free reign against Toby Green and co .

Ok, but who makes way on the list? We already have less spots than players out of contract (Dickson, Gardner, Webb, Roberts). Dickson probably deserves another go around until Cavarra comes on (if he does). Not sure how many list spots that leaves.

Does anyone else hope the AFL scraps free agency compensation so that Essendon get nothing for Daniher when he declares that he wants to go to Sydney again next year?
Nah. With the ASADA article this week, the last thing I need is more Bomber fans selling their hard luck story and saying the AFL has it out for them.

Ok, but who makes way on the list? We already have less spots than players out of contract (Dickson, Gardner, Webb, Roberts). Dickson probably deserves another go around until Cavarra comes on (if he does). Not sure how many list spots that leaves.
We have four open senior list spots at the moment. We must make three selections via the draft, which can include rookie upgrades. So we can recontract one uncontracted player or pick up one DFA.

We have two open rookie list spots (Sweet and La.Young have rookie contracts for 2020).

Uncontacted senior list: Dickson, Webb, Roberts.
Uncontacted rookie list: Khamis, R.Smith, Gardner

I think it was a joke- to sign him and let him bash Toby Greene lol.

Had heard on the radio that Bennell was looking to train with a club in Victoria. I wonder if he has got rid of his off-field issues? Injuries aside, his body of work when uninjured was pretty good.

Had heard on the radio that Bennell was looking to train with a club in Victoria. I wonder if he has got rid of his off-field issues? Injuries aside, his body of work when uninjured was pretty good.
I’d love us to give Bennell a chance. I doubt it happens but if we could get Bennell playing good footy the benefits are many. Obviously him contributing to our team, what it says to other indigenous players about our club and even if he moves on for a bigger contract after getting himself right, we turn a free list spot into some trade currency.

Obviously there are risks involved. Him going off rails and the negative PR that comes with that, though given the expectations on him it shouldn’t be that bad. His body lets him down another year - we basically carried Morris, Boyd and Picken on our list all year without getting a game out of them and still made finals so that’s not a huge issue. Biggest issue would be Harley going off the rails and taking others with him.

Given the risks vs reward, I think it’s a risk I’d be happy with the club taking.

With the new rules we could have him training with us until next year and see if it's worth a shot, like Richmond did with Stack. Minimal investment and not much to lose, especially if his body is finally right. Why not

Reckon our cap should be in the sweet spot after the trade period. Various reports, ITK posters here indicated cap space pre-trade was $1.7-2 mill.

Bruce and Keath combined are reportedly on around $1.2mill.

Cap space should therefore now be conservatively around $500k?

Gives us some nice wriggle room for contract extensions, particularly given most (all?) of next years additions will in all likelihood be draftees.

I’d love us to give Bennell a chance. I doubt it happens but if we could get Bennell playing good footy the benefits are many. Obviously him contributing to our team, what it says to other indigenous players about our club and even if he moves on for a bigger contract after getting himself right, we turn a free list spot into some trade currency.

Obviously there are risks involved. Him going off rails and the negative PR that comes with that, though given the expectations on him it shouldn’t be that bad. His body lets him down another year - we basically carried Morris, Boyd and Picken on our list all year without getting a game out of them and still made finals so that’s not a huge issue. Biggest issue would be Harley going off the rails and taking others with him.

Given the risks vs reward, I think it’s a risk I’d be happy with the club taking.
I’m interested in what you think it “says to other indigenous players”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back