Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but we seemed pretty keen on holding 13 during the trade period for some reason so maybe it's not up for grabs? Though I think it's a good idea to downgrade it otherwise.

AFL Website reporting that the Suns are looking to package their late first/early second round picks (15 and 20) for another top 10 pick

Is their value to be had trading our pick 13 for their 20 plus next year’s second or something similar to help our points stockpile for next year and help them package a better deal?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What happened to Roberts? You guys had a formidable spine with hamling and roberts in 2016.Thought you were set for a while. Did he suffer being the sole key back; is he more of a third defender?

AFL Website reporting that the Suns are looking to package their late first/early second round picks (15 and 20) for another top 10 pick

Is their value to be had trading our pick 13 for their 20 plus next year’s second or something similar to help our points stockpile for next year and help them package a better deal?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we were to go for something like that, could only see it happening as a live trade on draft night and only if our preferred option at 13 has gone.

What happened to Roberts? You guys had a formidable spine with hamling and roberts in 2016.Thought you were set for a while. Did he suffer being the sole key back; is he more of a third defender?

he is slow and isn’t strong. His lack of athleticism was easily his biggest problem. Good reader of the player and great kick of the ball.

Roberts 2016 finals series was a flash in the pan. He was probably our biggest whipping boy among fans prior to that, particularly after the 2015 final against Adelaide. Also once Bevo decides you're out, you're out. Tall but not strong bodied compared to most tall forwards, not athletic enough to be an interceptor either. Like a few other guys in 2016, gave it everything he had at the right time, and it was downhill from there.

Fringe AFL player who got the best out of himself, who got in the team at the right time and place in 2016 and did well in PF and GF.

Think Josh Mahoney from Port’s 2004 team.

Roberts 2016 finals series was a flash in the pan. He was probably our biggest whipping boy among fans prior to that, particularly after the 2015 final against Adelaide. Also once Bevo decides you're out, you're out. Tall but not strong bodied compared to most tall forwards, not athletic enough to be an interceptor either. Like a few other guys in 2016, gave it everything he had at the right time, and it was downhill from there.
All true. On the bolded bit, there appears to have been a misunderstanding between Bevo and our previous list manageer - who extended the contract for Roberts at the end of 2017. I think our new list manager is on the same page, thankfully.

Do we take it from this announcement that they are the sole delistings?
Looks like we won't be targeting a DFA for the senior list.

But I'm not convinced that the rookie list has been finalised. Watch this space, think there is more time for the club to announce list changes.

This is a small selection, but Beasley took contested marks every week, far more than Templeton ever did.

"Contested marks" don't appear in the available stats from the '80s so we are left to subjective memories and impressions. Beasley was tall and did use take high marks, you might have caught the only pack mark he ever took (I don't call that iconic Edmonds-pointing-finger-to-head mark a contested mark, opportunism and I was there that day). Like Barry Hall, his forward craft was so good that the chest mark or, to satisfy the obtuse Dogwatch, the in-front-of-the-face mark on the lead lead to far more goals than the contested mark practitioners like Hawkins and Lynch.

What might assist your position is that my memory might not be much good. I thought that your namesake (perhaps your real name ?) Ivan, played as a tall half forward in the late '60s and must have been an immigrant troublesome Yugoslav. I now find that his name arguably makes him a remote cousin by marriage of our Princess Mary of Tasmania oops Denmark.

Interesting

No matter what you do you'll always be safe in the knowledge that you played a part in bringing an otherwise unknown level of happiness to a great many people.

So long Fletch.

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roberts was never “formidable” but he was a great role player in ‘16 and no doubt a great team man while Marcus Adams spent time being injured

Fletcher Roberts = Premiership Hero

Not quite strong enough for 1st KPD and too slow for anything else. He is an almost type player almost good enough but just not quite good enough and paid the price

Roberts is a smart player with a good field kick however he has zero body strength, mobility or mongrel.

No matter what you do you'll always be safe in the knowledge that you played a part in bringing an otherwise unknown level of happiness to a great many people.

So long Fletch.

images

This.

The 2016 flag was built upon unsung heroes.

Fletcher leaves our club a premiership player and hero of the club.

Id give gardner a run as a sole defender. Solid depth.
Same. No more moving him around to KPF and forward. He could go alright if given a solid run at KPD in the VFL. You can have far worse depth, so I see no problem with leaving him on the rookie list. Roarke is probably done though, I'll miss old Fabio :(

Webb is a far sadder story than ROBERTS.

ROBERTS was a rookie pick who managed to get 7 years and a flag (seriously an AFL flag) out of a body that was slow and awkward but he managed to get the absolute best out of. He also appears to have an absolute spunk missus which for a man who looks like Widget the Worldwatcher is incredible.

Webb was pick 27 (Higgins compo) and had gun written all over him early on in his VFL days, beautiful left boot, started racking up midfield possies with ease, kicking multiple goals per game was as close to blue chip as you could hope. Alas, he just never converted the form to AFL level.

Sad.

Webb is a far sadder story than ROBERTS.

ROBERTS was a rookie pick who managed to get 7 years and a flag (seriously an AFL flag) out of a body that was slow and awkward but he managed to get the absolute best out of. He also appears to have an absolute spunk missus which for a man who looks like Widget the Worldwatcher is incredible.

Webb was pick 27 (Higgins compo) and had gun written all over him early on in his VFL days, beautiful left boot, started racking up midfield possies with ease, kicking multiple goals per game was as close to blue chip as you could hope. Alas, he just never converted the form to AFL level.

Sad.

Might’ve been a different story had he hung around with Bont and Co as opposed to Dahl and Co
Didn’t seem overly dedicated going on his lack of physical development and was a pretty cruisey type.
Sad to see him go but I just don’t think he gave himself the best chance to get it right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back