Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is for the player. "Free agent" means you're free to go anywhere you like and you're not subject to the two clubs concerned agreeing on trading terms.

The implication of the suggestion is that when an elite player in the prime of his career goes to another club and that club sacrifices absolutely nothing (other than the player's salary of course) then it's a serious distortion in a highly competitive market. A market that sees clubs wrangle for days on end about the value of much lesser players during the trade period.

I don't know if there's a neat solution that will solve this and still keep the AFLPA happy though.

You can make the receiving club give up draft points and at the same time award picks to the source club but inevitably these notionally separate valuations will converge and it will be seen as effectively a trade (which is what the AFLPA is trying to get away from with free agency). The only difference between that and a normal trade is that the AFL is the arbiter of the trade value, and it doesn't require the clubs to come to an agreement. Would that be enough to satisfy the AFLPA?
{(%# the AFLPA, they currently are all about themselves, and to hell with the competition, the supporters, the clubs [particularly the smaller ones], or fairness/equity. If we can't simply get rid of FA altogether, then how about it is ONLY applicable, if the player moves to a club below his on the ladder, and if he chooses to move to a club higher ranked than his own, then a normal trade is required.

Zach Sproule?
GWS will re-rookie him. We could pull a shifty but then we end up with a player that doesn't really want to play with us. And there seems to be an unspoken rule that you let other teams re-rookie who they want to.

GWS are doing it so they can have the required list spots open so they can use as many late picks to match bids as they need. I expect we'll want to do the same next year so we better just let them get away with it.

GWS will re-rookie him. We could pull a shifty but then we end up with a player that doesn't really want to play with us. And there seems to be an unspoken rule that you let other teams re-rookie who they want to.

GWS are doing it so they can have the required list spots open so they can use as many late picks to match bids as they need. I expect we'll want to do the same next year so we better just let them get away with it.
It's not all because of shenanigans though, two of their rookies had spent 3 years on the rookie list and had to be delisted (like Roarke Smith was for us a while back).

It's not all because of shenanigans though, two of their rookies had spent 3 years on the rookie list and had to be delisted (like Roarke Smith was for us a while back).
Good point. Although delisting and redrafting Tom Sheridan is definitely to take advantage of the loophole.

Is there any inside word on whether we have offered Tory Dickson a new contract for 2020?

He wasn’t in the delisted players so I assume they must be discussing it. I for one are hoping that he gets that spot on the list and then we go to the draft for the remaining three spots.

I like Tory signing on, but I hope he spends time in the VFL because Ferg Greene takes his spot.

As for Roarke Smith, don't write him off yet. Players do improve. He'll never be a world beater but he's closer to the best 22 than some raw teenager picked at 50. He came off a knee reco last season. If he can get his hands on the ball he'll be Ok. Every club needs a deep squad.

I like Tory signing on, but I hope he spends time in the VFL because Ferg Greene takes his spot.

As for Roarke Smith, don't write him off yet. Players do improve. He'll never be a world beater but he's closer to the best 22 than some raw teenager picked at 50. He came off a knee reco last season. If he can get his hands on the ball he'll be Ok. Every club needs a deep squad.

If Roarke signs on, has to be for a year so we can cull deeply next year. He’s not going to get there and I think you are meant to have two years for new draftees... Only way it makes any sense....

{(%# the AFLPA, they currently are all about themselves, and to hell with the competition, the supporters, the clubs [particularly the smaller ones], or fairness/equity. If we can't simply get rid of FA altogether, then how about it is ONLY applicable, if the player moves to a club below his on the ladder, and if he chooses to move to a club higher ranked than his own, then a normal trade is required.
Sorry pv but that one's NOT free agency. The AFLPA would kick up a stink. Players who have achieved free agent status must be able to go to whichever club they like (subject to cap and list space etc).

Now it doesn't matter whether we like the AFLPA and what they do or not. The thing is they have some industrial muscle (and pretty solid legal ground if it ever comes to a challenge) so the AFL has to tread carefully with them. The underlying threat is a player boycott which would be disastrous for the AFL.

Just be thankful they haven't pushed for free agency for all players every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agency should take the compensation from the club who gets the player (i.e. they automatically lose a certain points value for the player, which they have to make up in a given time, or something like that).
Would make sense and that’s exactly the problem - one year you can get a fun player for 2 first round picks. The next year they are a free agent and it costs you nothing.

Clubs bidding on FAs might be a way or go, otherwise an arbitration panel where the party taking the player is forced to forfeit compo. Makes no sense for an FA to cosT nothing while a trade can cost the world.

Would make sense and that’s exactly the problem - one year you can get a fun player for 2 first round picks. The next year they are a free agent and it costs you nothing.

Clubs bidding on FAs might be a way or go, otherwise an arbitration panel where the party taking the player is forced to forfeit compo. Makes no sense for an FA to cosT nothing while a trade can cost the world.
Once again, if clubs are bidding for a player it means that player is not a free agent. So that bit wouldn't work.

The essence of a free agent is that the agent (the player) gets to choose where he wants to play, assuming the club of choice will have him and has room on its list and under its TPP cap.

No matter what you do you'll always be safe in the knowledge that you played a part in bringing an otherwise unknown level of happiness to a great many people.

So long Fletch.

images

The moment Fletch got his one audible cheer during the Parade - from me! Like Mario Bortolotto, Ted Hopkins and Aaron Keating, he’s a premiership legend. Vale Fletcher Roberts.
8f3b95d806d0d977546724b88a6baaf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might’ve been a different story had he hung around with Bont and Co as opposed to Dahl and Co
Didn’t seem overly dedicated going on his lack of physical development and was a pretty cruisey type.
Sad to see him go but I just don’t think he gave himself the best chance to get it right.

To be fair, he broke his neck. Ruined his career.

Webb was never going to make it, broken neck or not.

Decent VFL player but showed zero appetite in the AFL. Had the talent, lacked all of the physical attributes.

One could have said the exact same thing about Bailey Dale halfway through this year.

The broken neck robbed him of any chance of developing a career. It took over a year from him, took all his confidence. We simply cant know if he would have picked up - he had issues at the time but they werent incapable of being turned around.

One could have said the exact same thing about Bailey Dale halfway through this year.

The broken neck robbed him of any chance of developing a career. It took over a year from him, took all his confidence. We simply cant know if he would have picked up - he had issues at the time but they werent incapable of being turned around.

Webb didn't really have any attributes that helped him stand out; solid body but not a truly strong body, not particularly mobile or fast, solid user but couldn't accumulate on the outside and not a great mark.

Webb probably got an extra year on the list because we didn't want to delist him after he fractured his neck. It's why Roarke was delisted and re-rookied, he has attributes that stand out and had his career just as derailed as Webb with his multiple knee injuries.

To be fair, he broke his neck. Ruined his career.

There’s been plenty of players over the years that have had pretty serious set backs yet come back to forge or continue a decent career. Cancer, snapped legs, smashed faces etc. Webb was stiff but I don’t think he gave himself a decent crack at it either

Hit the nail on the head, he could’ve turned things around, but he didn’t.

Now he’s enjoying his post AFL career with his mates Redpath, Dahl and Biggsy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back