Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darcy Gardner still unsigned, RFA.
He has to be our no 1 gettable target this trade period.
Skip Jones and clear the decks, I'd pay overs for him. Keep our first rounder and take it to the draft.

Lobb + Gardner + keeping our first round pick would be an outstanding really for us

Skip Jones and clear the decks, I'd pay overs for him. Keep our first rounder and take it to the draft.

Lobb + Gardner + keeping our first round pick would be an outstanding really for us
From the few games i've watched of theirs this year he's fairly shite

The point was more about Dunkley's market value. He was contracted back then but against that is 2 more years of solid production and the offer was from lowball Dodoro.
Unfortunately, actual output is much less of a factor in determining market rate than contract status. As an uncontracted non-FA in a league where players can declare where they want to be traded to and get there 90% of the time, our options are to take the best offer of the team he wants to go to or let him walk.

A top ten pick + a second rounder won't be on the table again, from any team imo. The top ten pick on its own might be but I imagine the team will be asking for a later pick back.

2 years for a 32yo should be the max :(

Stef Martin anyone?
I'm concerned about this as well, but this is the reason why we miss out every year. Lower clubs like Essendon offer more money or a longer contract because they can better afford to carry the risk, and we pull out.

To address the KPD issue we're going to need to take some risk on board - that might be with length of contract, trade assets, financial commitments, or some combination of 2-3 of them.

Unfortunately, actual output is much less of a factor in determining market rate than contract status. As an uncontracted non-FA in a league where players can declare where they want to be traded to and get there 90% of the time, our options are to take the best offer of the team he wants to go to or let him walk.

A top ten pick + a second rounder won't be on the table again, from any team imo. The top ten pick on its own might be but I imagine the team will be asking for a later pick back.

I'm concerned about this as well, but this is the reason why we miss out every year. Lower clubs like Essendon offer more money or a longer contract because they can better afford to carry the risk, and we pull out.

To address the KPD issue we're going to need to take some risk on board - that might be with length of contract, trade assets, financial commitments, or some combination of 2-3 of them.
I made the mistake of saying their 1st with a 3rd going back from us and you'd think I said I slept with their wives

In 2020 Essendon offered pick 7 and a future second for him but we wanted more.
That was with two years left on his contract and in some respects still paying on potential.
Two years on he's out of contract, has not greatly improved his output or deficiencies and spent the better part of last year with a shoulder injury that could become chronic.

Pick 8 would be a good result.

Reckon we could fit all three in?

It would extend Keath's career by a year or two.

Reckon we could fit all three in?

It would extend Keath's career by a year or two.

I think what is more important is it provides some type of insurance with regards to Keath

My usual immediate jump to worst case/realistic for minnow club like bulldogs scenario:

Lose Josh Dunkley to an annoying large club with a need for a big bodied clearance mid like Essendon or Collingwood. Watch him rack up 30 possessions and 10 clearances a game.

Overpay for Rory Lobb - either have him immediately get injured (foot or similar) or watch his output halve from his career year this year.

Get Liam Jones and give him regular games.
Fans have to sit through a year of Ryan Gardner + L-Jizz combo in the back half. Concede more goals per game than this year - somehow.

Is this outcome that unrealistic?

I think what is more important is it provides some type of insurance with regards to Keath
That was with two years left on his contract and in some respects still paying on potential.
Two years on he's out of contract, has not greatly improved his output or deficiencies and spent the better part of last year with a shoulder injury that could become chronic.

Dogs for life member - Sick of reading about him & contract, reset password & logged on here - He needs to go, lacks commitment to the club, thinks his on Bont/Macca level when his NOT, wanted to go to Bombers not long ago, butchers the ball, Move him on - First round pick will do it. (Plus exchanges).

All players have deficiencies (well, except bont). Dunkley is very effective, despite his speed and kicking. If he goes, we will surely miss him, particularly with Libba not getting much younger. 25yo beast of a mid.

All players have deficiencies (well, except bont). Dunkley is very effective, despite his speed and kicking. If he goes, we will surely miss him, particularly with Libba not getting much younger. 25yo beast of a mid.
Yes they do.
Yes we will.
That's why he's worth a top ten pick.
I'm not sure of your point?

why not more love for Jones?

his vacc status is irrelevant now,

we know his character is good,

and he's a significant upgrade on our current key backs, assuming Keath's current body/form,

wont cost an arm and a leg in trade or in salary,

yes please

Dunks is not that effective, not the last few weeks anyway. If he goes, he goes - i could see West thriving in his position as a ball hungry player. We take the first round pick. Still go for Jones/Lobb etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t want Dunkley to go. IF he does, it would have to be at least their first round pick plus some change (future third). He is going to be paid top dollar by another team, so they will need to pay Cerra value.

IF he does go, I want us to target a quick small forward and move West/Garcia to the midfield rotation.

Is Dunks really going to demand that much more coin elsewhere?

Don’t get me wrong, he’s very good and ideally stays, but isn’t he that sort B+ grader who would be worth about the same wherever he went?

I just can’t imagine a godfather offer for a guy like him.

Is Dunks really going to demand that much more coin elsewhere?

Don’t get me wrong, he’s very good and ideally stays, but isn’t he that sort B+ grader who would be worth about the same wherever he went?

I just can’t imagine a godfather offer for a guy like him.

I can see him being offered 800K/4years elsewhere.

He wants to be a pure midfielder. He's never going to get that at the dogs.

I can see multiple clubs in victoria coming for him. If Collingwood clear the decks they would, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Essendon.

He'd have serious suitors. He's the main big bodied mid at all of those clubs.

I can see multiple clubs in victoria coming for him. If Collingwood clear the decks they would, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Essendon.

Oh for sure, there’s plenty of suitors and understandably so.

I just can’t imagine we’d be that far away from whatever offer came in.

Dunkley would be a loss in the immediate term but assuming we get a high enough picks compensation for him we can always recruit another highly touted inside mid. More inside minutes for west and Garcia would be good too.

Any young player who has the opportunity to develop in a midfield unit of Bont, Macrae, Libba, smith, etc will come good. We develop mids better then nearly any team in the comp.

Dunks is not that effective, not the last few weeks anyway. If he goes, he goes - i could see West thriving in his position as a ball hungry player. We take the first round pick. Still go for Jones/Lobb etc.

Welcome back

Post more on here

These are pretty much the same things that people were saying about Angus Brayshaw...

Yesterday.

A sleeping dog for both Dunks and Bailey Smith would be Hawthorn. They have a war chest and they'd both slot in well to their midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back