Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That guy talked a bit of crap. Pearce ‘smashed Naughton’ when Naughton kicked 3. He beat him Naughton yes, but I’ll be happy with 3 again.

Went on and on about bad trades we did with Freo 20+ years ago. Like they were perfect.
I think Freo owe us big time.

Didn't we take Stephen Koops to give them the pick for Mundy.

We also took a lot of other "average" players as well.

Bandy, Hunter, Wills.

Can't recall 1 top liner we got from them and don't see that changing with Lobb.

Will come down to if he is a salary dump to fit in Jackson or will be higher if not the case

2nd with change back at absolute most, but I reckon it will end up as a 3rd and nothing else

I think Freo owe us big time.

Didn't we take Stephen Koops to give them the pick for Mundy.

We also took a lot of other "average" players as well.

Bandy, Hunter, Wills.

Can't recall 1 top liner we got from them and don't see that changing with Lobb.

Wira and Crozier. Still it’s small fry compared to what they wasted. Some recent Hogan, Bennell, Croad, Ridley, Delaney, rights to Mcleod.

Yep, sounds like they are both set to hang up the boots altogether whenever the season ends
Hilarious that people actually got worked up about this. Victoria has been in bloody lockdown for the last 2 finals series, heaven forbid they’re finally able to actually travel somewhere to watch their family play in a final.

A couple of the Hawthorn boys that got delisted look OK - liked Jackson Callow as a junior and looks like the kind of forward who would be much better as a KPD - great mark. Daniel Howe is a good player - has dropped off this year with the new Hawks playing style but is a good sized player. Tim Phillips is a fast wing who was brought in after they lost their key winger to Geelong - looked good at Collingwood but hasn’t performed at all. Don’t know much about Downie.

How have any of these gone for Box Hill? Any interest?

A couple of the Hawthorn boys that got delisted look OK - liked Jackson Callow as a junior and looks like the kind of forward who would be much better as a KPD - great mark. Daniel Howe is a good player - has dropped off this year with the new Hawks playing style but is a good sized player. Tim Phillips is a fast wing who was brought in after they lost their key winger to Geelong - looked good at Collingwood but hasn’t performed at all. Don’t know much about Downie.

How have any of these gone for Box Hill? Any interest?
Was thinking the same about Callow, from memory of his draft year he’s spent a bit of time back there too.

I’ve got no idea how he’s gone at Hawks tbf but he’s the sort that could definitely be a good free option, only a very short time on the hawks list and as we know big boys take time so I wonder if there’s other reasons there? But they have gone very aggressive on the cuts.

Athleticism the main concern but doubt it would be any worse than say Payne from Brisbane, big strong lad who can go 1on1 with the number 1 forward and is great in the air.

Any of the draft watchers around here know more on him or have seen him at Box Hill?

Downie has a booming kick and nice pace. Plays wing / half back.

Development must’ve really stalled for him to get the chop after just two years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Sounds like you're suffering some PTSD from the Jason McCartney era of trading deals.

Sam Power has been strong on getting good deals done. That final evening of trade period in 2020 when he simultaneously stared down Dodoro over Dunkley and got Treloar for basically nothing from Pies was particularly good work
Yes. I accept when Sam came in he didn't bend over for other clubs. We have never really got a big fish either though have we? Treloar was pushed out and as good as he has played for us, we didn't really need him. Keath and Bruce although handy are both struggling now. Duryea has been our best performed "recruit" recently.
Other than Treloar and Duryea we haven't had massive success with our recruiting have we?

Yes. I accept when Sam came in he didn't bend over for other clubs. We have never really got a big fish either though have we? Treloar was pushed out and as good as he has played for us, we didn't really need him. Keath and Bruce although handy are both struggling now. Duryea has been our best performed "recruit" recently.
Other than Treloar and Duryea we haven't had massive success with our recruiting have we?
Keath has been our best KPD for his first 2 seasons, Bruce was second in the Coleman when he did his knee. Interesting you see them both as just handy!

I understand the sentiment of not getting big fish, but for every Jeremy Cameron and Tom Lynch there is a Brad Hill or Tim Kelly.

Keath has been our best KPD for his first 2 seasons, Bruce was second in the Coleman when he did his knee. Interesting you see them both as just handy!
Agree with your thoughts. I guess I am looking forward from here. Is Bruce going to come back as good as the season he did his knee? I doubt it. The season before his knee injury he was horrible, this year in the few games he has played...well, he shouldn't have played.
Keath was very good and perhaps I am being ungracious, he was recruited to fill a need. A KPD (sound familiar) and he did a good job. The downside is that he is playing like a smashed up player. He is slow, and with that lack of speed his surety with ball in hand becomes strained and susceptible to turn over.
Unless he loses a ton of weight then i see him battling with form and injury for the remainder of his career.
He wasn't a KPD when we got him. he was an interceptor. Somewhere along the line we bulked him up to play as a KPD and with that we now have a version that's nowhere near where he was a couple of years ago.
It's frustrating how we have not really developed a backline. Or at least not drafted to get a quality young KPD.
I am not sure where Sam Darcy ends up but I would love to see him develop into a Harris Andrews or Darcy Moore type. If he does it will be a massive bonus.
PS Harris Andrews in his good years, he has been poor this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the sentiment of not getting big fish, but for every Jeremy Cameron and Tom Lynch there is a Brad Hill or Tim Kelly.
There was Allir Allir, we didn't even consider him. Look at how Melbourne have built their defence. May and Lever are exceptional.
Geelong, Sydney and Richmond have always valued strong defence and it seems Collingwoods success is built on the springboard off the halfback line. Having Darcy Moore is the cream on the cake.
Defenders are unfashionable but in the end they win matches. Hopefully Jones can fill the void a little and give us something off the backline. I hope it's Blues Jones and not Dogs Jones we get next year.

Hearing that Bont's Mum and sisters will be at the game tonight. I wonder if that means it will be his last game with the Dogs? Sounds gone imo.
I’ve heard similar. His Dad and manager are currently in Western Sydney working on a deal, hence them looking to get rid off Taranto.

There was Allir Allir, we didn't even consider him. Look at how Melbourne have built their defence. May and Lever are exceptional.
Geelong, Sydney and Richmond have always valued strong defence and it seems Collingwoods success is built on the springboard off the halfback line. Having Darcy Moore is the cream on the cake.
Defenders are unfashionable but in the end they win matches. Hopefully Jones can fill the void a little and give us something off the backline. I hope it's Blues Jones and not Dogs Jones we get next year.
Allir was never a big fish. He was traded for a future second round pick, if that’s your definition of a big fish I’m concerned.

We were interested in Chad Wingard as well. An example of a name that ticks the big fish category but would’ve cost us Bailey Smith and a lot of cash.

Most recent Sam Edmund update was very positive. Probably means he is gone haha.

7 years 750 for Taranto is a yikes...

Does not bode well for our salary cap to keep josh
That’s also the premium to pay to bring talent in though, Dunks has to decide if he wants to stay for under market value like everyone else that stays. I think we can cover 5/6 years at 650 odd which is fair imo

That’s also the premium to pay to bring talent in though, Dunks has to decide if he wants to stay for under market value like everyone else that stays. I think we can cover 5/6 years at 650 odd which is fair imo
Oh I 100% agree with all that, but as the first real year after the covid mess, there are some silly deals being handed out.

Zordy, JJ, Dunkley if we can get value for them thanks for your service
I hope we somehow hold onto Dunks. Don’t care about him previously wanting out, he’s one of the few that always puts in his best on the ground and that’s all that really matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back