Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually only do this for Dogs recruits because it takes many painstaking hours but as a treat here is what he will look like as a Saints player

View attachment 1526727

How am I (office job v AFL player in prime) in better shape than Cordy?

It’s a serious question! 😂

All the best, Zaine. Thanks for delivering the premiership. I will never forget that first goal. It settled the nerves and set the tone for forward pressure and accurate goal kicking on the day. Thank you.

Is the irony lost on everyone that we have just replaced one forward turned defender whipping boy with another?

Seriously though, hope both players do well in the future.

Not fazed about Cordy leaving, too slow as a defender and watching him v hawks late in the year in Tassie had little awareness or leadership for a 100 plus game player.

Jones, keath, Gardner - with Darcy, Khamis and Obrien as more third talls is enough depth plus hopefully draft another KPD.

Not sure why we are talking about Flynn and soldo. It’s clear we see Tim as our ruck with our focus being a forward/ruck coming in.

If we lose Hunter we need to bring a wingmen in. I’d be trying to get in on the JFH deal and get one of Duursma or Bergman providing port a pick to help them get the JFH deal over the line. Either would be our best wingman.

As for Dunkley given Brisbane’s position it has to be two firsts as they would be late firsts at best. They also don’t have a lot of players that interest me. Robertson but would he make our team better. Tom berry but has already nominated Gold Coast. Wilmot unlikely to give up. Of course there are some like mccluggage and Bailey but they aren’t giving them up.

Shame about losing Zaine but I think a change in scenery will do wonders for his career. Zaine is 1 player where the lack of professionalism at the club has impacted him in delivering to his potential. Also, having the worst defensive structure in the AFL means we are a graveyard for most defenders. Will be interesting to see if he can reach his potential at the Saints.

Hopefully the club gets to work on the culture problems. Making a GF in 2021 just shows the potential in the group with the culture being assessed as middle of the road and we were the outlier out of the preliminary finalists.

if the club works hard at the culture, hopefully we can rebound next year.

Scahche has to be re-contracted now and the club needs to look at the rookie draft for some quality state league key defenders. Hopefully we overlook Sullivan and address the area of need.

If nothing else surely Cordy all but assured we draft a KPD.

Of our top 5 KPD options, two are 30+ (Jones and Keath), one is ok but by no means great (Gardner), one is 19 and really a forward (Darcy) and the last has proven to be a pretty horrible recruit with little one on one ability (O’Brien).

You have just proven my point exactly. So much hostility and anger about something that hasn't happened, won't happen, nobody is even suggesting, and there's no evidence to support that it is happening. Power has been very strong in his comments so far - he's handling it the right way. Why the angst?

Nowhere did I say we should accept well unders, or accept s**t. I am not the one doing the negotiating so I am not speaking about how to approach the negotiation - I thought that would be obvious. I am talking about the end result. The end result will be one of compromisation by one or both parties. We hope it's not just us compromising, as do Brisbane fans, but most likely, both parties will in the end. 7 & 15 for an uncontracted player to a team is fantasy land stuff and Power can't be held to that standard.

In terms of the pick 15 stuff, let's reverse this. Let's say it's 2021 and we have Darcy, who we need points for. We also have an uncontracted player who has wanted to come to us, and the other team are asking for two first rounders. We are trying to negotiate with them while also trying to make sure we can pick Darcy. Knowing that the player trade is likely to take some time to work through - do you think we should hold off doing trades to ensure we can get Darcy until the other trade is done? What happens if we can't agree until 1 min before the deadline?

Dude, list managers don't lock themselves in an office with one other list manager for 24 hours until the deal is done. They explore every possible option to find the best one they can. Sometimes that requires the trading of assets that you had maybe discussed at some stage with another club.

Honestly, I've just clicked through pages and pages of abuse directed at other teams, players, other members, and even our own ******* staff. It's out of control and it makes this place completely unenjoyable. Why does everything need to be taken personally? Why the aggression? Jesus, we all want us to be good. We have the same goal.
It's been rumoured that the Norf board are in to dogwatch to run their competitions page. They are offering a future 3rd. What about we offer Dannnnnnnnnn and Pick 26 to the North board instead. We could even throw in ScragCity as steak knives?

(Sorry Dannnnnnnnnn just thought you might find this funny - I agree with you and glaze over with the insane speculation about picks. Who really cares about the predictions about what we do at the trade table as long as we don't get screwed

If nothing else surely Cordy all but assured we draft a KPD.

Of our top 5 KPD options, two are 30+ (Jones and Keath), one is ok but by no means great (Gardner), one is 19 and really a forward (Darcy) and the last has proven to be a pretty horrible recruit with little one on one ability (O’Brien).
Do you guys really consider any of Cordy, Gardener, TOB, Buku, Darcy or Raak to be KPD. A lot of concern about our KPDs since the Cordy news but as far as I’m concerned we kinda had one on our list at seasons end (Keath) and now have two an improvement. We certainly need another couple but can we stop discussing our long list of 2nd and 3rd talls as if they are key position players.

Gardener, Darcy, and Buku are a fine group of developing 2nd and 3rd talls.

Last edited:
Shame about losing Zaine but I think a change in scenery will do wonders for his career. Zaine is 1 player where the lack of professionalism at the club has impacted him in delivering to his potential. Also, having the worst defensive structure in the AFL means we are a graveyard for most defenders. Will be interesting to see if he can reach his potential at the Saints.

Hopefully the club gets to work on the culture problems. Making a GF in 2021 just shows the potential in the group with the culture being assessed as middle of the road and we were the outlier out of the preliminary finalists.

Scahche has to be re-contracted now and the club needs to look at the rookie draft for some quality state league key defenders. Hopefully we overlook Sullivan and address the area of need.
I just can’t buy that Zaine never took the next step because of a lack of culture or professionalism at the club. Making the grand final from 5th after a horror finish to the year in 2021 is not an an indictment on our culture.

What is the actual concrete evidence that our club is a complete mess culture wise? Dunkley’s behind the scenes pot shots? Baz doing drugs? Lachie Hunter partying more than a member of Motley Crüe? None of this is enough to condemn the club as cooked.

Last edited:
Do you guys really consider any of Cordy, Gardener, TOB, Buku, Darcy or Raak to be KPD. A lot of concern about our KPDs since the Cordy news but as far as I’m concerned we kinda had one on our list at seasons end (Keath) and now have two an improvement. We certainly need another couple but can we stop discussing our long list of 2nd and 3rd talls as if they are key position players.

Gardener, Darcy, and Buku are a fine group of developing 2nd and 3rd talls.
Yeah they are a decent group of 2nd and 3rd talls, but who gets the big jobs long term with Jones and Keath 30+? And in Keath’s case, someone who is injury prone

A true mystery and potentially an indictment on our club so few of our premiership players have finished their careers or had full careers at our club. Are there any comparable sides that have had so many gone in such a short period of time?
I don’t think it’s that weird. It was 7 years ago, we were overall a very young premiership team, and there’s far more player movement these days than ever before.

Maybe we already are getting to work.

No more free passes. No more acceptance of being 'a bit loose', no more letting things slide. Hopefully that extends to everybody coming back in ripping shape. No doubt that was an issue this year. We just didn't look fit.

Yeah they are a decent group of 2nd and 3rd talls, but who gets the big jobs long term with Jones and Keath 30+? And in Keath’s case, someone who is injury prone
Exactly. We need a couple more developing but Cordy, Gardener, TOB, Buku, Raak and Darcy are not in that discussion. Totally different role in our defense for those guys.

We’re better off than we were yesterday morning in terms of KPD but need to draft a quality developing KPD and probably bring in another depth player who is in the 23-26 age range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cordy is another KPD we've had in recent years who hasn't developed in the way you'd have hoped. It's a growing list - Cordy, Young, Roberts, Collins, Talia, plus Schache and Roughead (when we tried them there). Gardner has developed quite well since we brought him in but started from very far back and is no world beater.

We haven't really had any success in this position since Morris though.

Cordy is another KPD we've had in recent years who hasn't developed in the way you'd have hoped. It's a growing list - Cordy, Young, Roberts, Collins, Talia, plus Schache and Roughead (when we tried them there). Gardner has developed quite well since we brought him in but started from very far back and is no world beater.

TBH I think Cordy outperformed for what clubs normally get from a 4th round selection

Even ignoring 2016, if you get 118 senior AFL games from a 4th round KPP you take that every day of the week.

You must send this post over to the Saints board 🤣
Check their thread - multiple photos in the OP. They have a sense of humour, I'll give them that

If Zaine did nothing in his years with us other than the opening 10 minutes of the 2016 GF he'd still be a legend.

When we most needed hardness and nerve, that massive tackle on Hanneberry, that boundary line goal.

Who knows how things moght have panned out without them?

You are a legend Zaine.
Wasn’t it Mills?

I just can’t buy that Zaine never took the next step because of a lack of culture or professionalism at the club. Making the grand final from 5th after a horror finish to the year in 2021 is it an indictment on our culture.

What is the actual concrete evidence that our club is a complete mess culture wise? Dunkley’s behind the scenes pot shots? Baz doing drugs? Lachie Hunter partying more than a member of Motley Crüe? None of this is enough to condemn the club as cooked.
if anything, zaine's inability to reach his potential (whatever that is), is more about his own professionalism than anything else. It's not like he ever came back from the offseason in ripping shape.

I don't think development is the issue if you go through that list. Young is the only one who went on to develop himself at another club the others were either never picked up again or given another chance or delisted. Roughead was developed as a good KPD Bevo just never wanted him back there again

Maybe we already are getting to work.

No more free passes. No more acceptance of being 'a bit loose', no more letting things slide. Hopefully that extends to everybody coming back in ripping shape. No doubt that was an issue this year. We just didn't look fit.
Could well be. I think Libba alluded to this in his speech at BnF. He said he was probably lucky to still be on the list. I don’t believe this was in reference to his knee. He looked a bit embarrassed and also emotional.
I think we can expect the players to to drive each other that little bit extra next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back