Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone saying Treloar was a great get by Power are missing the point that we were the only option. Collingwood wanted him gone and no one else would take him. He didn’t fill a position of need and didn’t want to come to us. Hardly the coup some on here make it out to be.
Yet now here we are losing Dunks who got midfield time. How can we cover him?
Oh maybe his Bestie could play those minutes in there? He’s no bull but has the pace we need in there.

Now I call that planning ahead Sammy 😉😉😉

If you are a Destination club that only has to pay late 1st picks for developed 1st round picks or All Australian level talent.
Oh and a non existent salary cap doesn't hurt either

That's true, Get a cosy land or farm deal, new house, Ford in the drive, it's like Carlton of the 80s all over again. 😉

Yet now here we are losing Dunks who got midfield time. How can we cover him?
Oh maybe his Bestie could play those minutes in there? He’s no bull but has the pace we need in there.

Now I call that planning ahead Sammy 😉😉😉

This did cross my mind

SP probably knew that Dunks could be a high chance of moving on when out of contrct hence he got coverage in that area.

I wonder how Dunkley play this? Actually easy to come back to us if he wants to - just says I dealt with Brisbane in good faith expecting a better deal for me and my family but also that they would pay a fair price to get the job done and treat the Bulldogs fairly - what was needed was communicated by the bulldogs clearly and consistent with other trades. Brisbane did not hold up their end of the bargain and I have no intention of damaging a club I love so I will stay where I am and help the club go forward.

Also, I agree this doesn’t look like a net positive period for us ATM but over the last years we have had Keath, Bruce, Trelor, Doc and the points for JUH and Darcy. Results are pretty good.

Couple questions for dogs fans:

- Has anyone ever wondered what it’s like behind closed doors? If clubs are digging their heels in with players, reckon clubs get angry/frustrated at each other over the phones? I can’t see a world where it’s all calm 100% of the time.

- If the Dunkley deal falls through for the second time, reckon that impacts our relationship with Pickering?
It's not the clubs fault that Bummers and Brions are being *ing campaigners. They both still think we are a minnow club that should just be a feeder club for the bigger and contending clubs.
We are rightfully taking a stand if you want a valuable asset you need to pay a fair price or * off
No further negotiations to be had this our price pay it or don't

Everyone having a whinge about trade period this year on the back of what we’ve done with the trade and draft over the past few years needs to a grip.

We traded in Bruce and Keath at the same time without using our first round pick. We knocked back the Bombers and kept Dunkley and made a GF with him. We brought in Treloar at the same time as trading down for points to get JUH. The Treloar trade ended up positive points for us for Darcy FFS. We added Darcy starting with only pick 17 and kept an early 3rd and traded into North’s pick at the start of the 3rd this year. This year we re-signed every one of the huge number of OOC players that we wanted to keep bar Dunkley (and arguably Cordy), who was never staying. Currently, at minimum we’re dramatically improving our key positions again for next season, while losing a player in objectively our most over-resourced area.

Last edited:
I've been saying it for a number of years. It's something we don't seem to want to invest in as we seem to think we can turn small backs and midfielders into small forwards.

Hopefully we draft at least one of Clarke or Konstanty or maybe look at some later options.
Like the look of Clarke and he hits the scoreboard on the regular

Everyone having a whinge about trade period this year on the back of what we’ve done with the trade and draft over the past few years needs to a grip.

Not to mention that in probably the worst case scenario we bring in a proven best 22 key back to take the gorillas and a proven cable 2nd ruck that Bevo will actually play, all while keeping our first pick.

These are literally the two biggest list concerns on this board. We directly address them and people still complain.

I wonder how Dunkley play this? Actually easy to come back to us if he wants to - just says I dealt with Brisbane in good faith expecting a better deal for me and my family but also that they would pay a fair price to get the job done and treat the Bulldogs fairly - what was needed was communicated by the bulldogs clearly and consistent with other trades. Brisbane did not hold up their end of the bargain and I have no intention of damaging a club I love so I will stay where I am and help the club go forward.

Also, I agree this doesn’t look like a net positive period for us ATM but over the last years we have had Keath, Bruce, Trelor, Doc and the points for JUH and Darcy. Results are pretty good.

You're assuming we want him back.

I don't. He has contributed to this mess where we can't get anything done because we're stuffing around with Brisbane rather than being mature and paying up immediately like Richmond.

If a deal doesn't get done he can p*** off to North. I don't care. We don't owe him anything. He nominated Brisbane, they have known that for a long time and they've deliliberately d***** around.

Think the problem is Dunkley/Manager will almost certainly be telling the club that there is no turning back and a deal must get done. It's the only sensible thing they could be saying in his position really.

You're assuming we want him back.

I don't. He has contributed to this mess where we can't get anything done because we're stuffing around with Brisbane rather than being mature and paying up immediately like Richmond.

If a deal doesn't get done he can p*** off to North. I don't care. We don't owe him anything. He nominated Brisbane, they have known that for a long time and they've deliliberately d***** around.
I'd be surprised if any of us want him back to be honest.

He's going to a club that's overrating their future credentials and that's going to be fun to watch

We traded in Bruce and Keath at the same time without using our first round pick. We knocked back the Bombers and kept Dunkley and made a GF with him. We brought in Treloar at the same time as trading down for points to get JUH. The Treloar trade ended up positive points for us for Darcy FFS. We added Darcy starting with only pick 17 and kept an early 3rd and traded into North’s pick at the start of the 3rd this year. This year we re-signed every one of the huge number of OOC players that we wanted to keep bar Dunkley (and arguably Cordy), who was never staying. Currently, at minimum we’re dramatically improving our key positions again for next season, while losing a player in objectively our most over-resourced area.
Power is the least of our problems. Anyone remember offering pick 11 for Matthew Lobbe? Or rejecting a first round for Josh Hill? Or paying a first round for Stephen Koops or sleeping at the wheel and losing Cal Ward?

I could go on…. Power may not be perfect but he’s the best list manager we’ve had since probably the guy who assembled our 97-98 list 25 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about getting Treloar than rankles me is that Port got aliir aliir in the saame trade period. Id swap those 2 in a heart beat to meet needs.
Really?

Treloar was close to our best in the GF and Alir got his arse handed to him by Schache in the Prelim.

I don't think he comes back.
GWS have a zillion late first round picks, either Brisbane or we get involved to grab one of those.

There's every chance we trade 30 & 39 up a few spots to get a mid 20s pick for Lobb

The thing about getting Treloar than rankles me is that Port got aliir aliir in the saame trade period. Id swap those 2 in a heart beat to meet needs.
Aliir was great in 2021.
In 2022 clubs worked out he doesn't actually defend, and any forward who covers a lot of ground beats him (e.g. Schache as mentioned above).

I want more spice.

Lets get some no name from Port or something.
Riley Bonner is available. 190cm, can kick, not sure he does much else.
We trading for John Butcher again?

Think the problem is Dunkley/Manager will almost certainly be telling the club that there is no turning back and a deal must get done. It's the only sensible thing they could be saying in his position really.

So we just need to call their bluff. Dunkley won't go to North. Hand him a one year contract on decent money and say take it or leave it. We all know what he will do when push comes to shove.

The media is focussed on that, so are fans. Sam and the club are not.

Also, Bruce is not getting traded. His career will end with the dogs.

Hang on, I’ve never said anything about Bruce. You might be getting me mixed up with someone else?!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep.

People are both acting disappointed that we didn't trade in s**t players, and also pretending that we didn't trade in any players at all. Like we somehow didn't make a grand final last year on the back of Alex Keath coming 6th in our B&F, Bruce coming top 5 in the Coleman until he did his knee, getting Treloar for nothing and seeong Duryea help us win a semi with outstanding one-on-ome work.

But somehow because we decided we didn't want to match Essendon and pay Peter Wright half a milliom a year we have screwed up??

Really?

Treloar was close to our best in the GF and Alir got his arse handed to him by Schache in the Prelim.
Aliir is a solid 3rd, maybe 2nd defender. Yes he would start for us but his All Australian was flash in the pan stuff, Weitering had him covered by an absolute mile but didn't make it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back