Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some teams also have players nominate to go to them, like Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron, etc. We never get those caliber of players nominating us.

We can’t give them substantial house and land packages with a new Ford Ranger or two in the garage for them

We can’t give them substantial house and land packages with a new Ford Ranger or two in the garage for them
Well Bont has been driving a MB van around for a few years so we aren’t totally hopeless on that front.

The surf coast has changed massively and it’s now very desirable, and there’s not much we can do about that. They also had Costa setting them up with business opportunities etc though it didn’t exactly make Lingy a rich man.

Bont will still be elite at 35+. The work he does on his training and preparation is just incredible. Will be David Mundy esque but better
With his hips he'll have to be nursed after 30.
That's every chance we nab a gun midfielder in time. Chad Warner was a second rounder,
Lachie Neale a 4th rounder. We'll find them if we keep taking them

We may trade our firsts this year anyway. Croft could jump up the rankings, we could attract Doedee (FA but Crows may match) and/or Bergman at the trade table. A lot of things could happen between now and draft day(s)

With West not making the team with Weightman, Jones, Clarke (our 3 small forwards) & Dunkley no longer in the middle; it will be interesting to see IF another team decides to target him for their midfield. He can really impact games and I am not sure why he isn’t in the team OR as an emergency.

With his hips he'll have to be nursed after 30.
That's every chance we nab a gun midfielder in time. Chad Warner was a second rounder,
Lachie Neale a 4th rounder. We'll find them if we keep taking them

We may trade our firsts this year anyway. Croft could jump up the rankings, we could attract Doedee (FA but Crows may match) and/or Bergman at the trade table. A lot of things could happen between now and draft day(s)
I had something similar said to me regarding Bont’s hip a few years ago by someone involved at the club. Along the lines of he might not go much beyond 30.

It was quite a few years ago now though so hopefully they’ve found ways to manage it.

With West not making the team with Weightman, Jones, Clarke (our 3 small forwards) & Dunkley no longer in the middle; it will be interesting to see IF another team decides to target him for their midfield. He can really impact games and I am not sure why he isn’t in the team OR as an emergency.
Teams will definitely go after him no question

The match committee don't rate him. Not entirely sure why but it is what it is. Same thing happened with Lewis Young

Has he shown anything to suggest that he would be a mid-field target for any side?

Outside of the meaninglessness of name recognition, I would suggest not.

The match committee don't rate him. Not entirely sure why but it is what it is. Same thing happened with Lewis Young

Toby McLean is an infinitely more versatile player, one who unlike West has had an uninterrupted pre-season and he isn't in the side.

On this board. Im having a hard time thinking of a player outside of West who is a more over rated player on our list.

Last edited:
So we are going to go after Mckay right? Right?

Port seem most interested at the moment, but I read today that Carlton are also keen.

How the * can they keep chasing big names year after year, especially when they usually get nominated too? I swear they are still using the leftover brown paper Visy bags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port seem most interested at the moment, but I read today that Carlton are also keen.

How the * can they keep chasing big names year after year, especially when they usually get nominated too? I swear they are still using the leftover brown paper Visy bags
Teams who can't make the finals tend to have more cap space...

Id imagine they will only get McKay if they lose De Koning. McGovern is also in last year of contract and will be due for a significant downsizing of his payments.

I'm just glad they beat us out for Jack Martin. What a bullet dodged

Teams who can't make the finals tend to have more cap space...
Club seemed convinced they tabled a good enough offer to Dunkley albeit less than what Bris offered. How we lost out to Brisbane in a bidding war is beyond me and Geelong seem to be able to absorb 700k of bowes just to get a hold of pick 7.

Here we are losing Dunkley, Hunter who were on decent coin with Bruce and Keath coming to the end of their big deals that brought them to the club.

Is Ben McKay the right player to throw all avaiable cash at? Over 7 completed seasons he's played just 52 games. He's clearly highly injury prone, played 15 games last season and was subbed off in 4 with injury and is injured again now.

Is he a good enough player that you'd take that chance on him given his likely salary demand?

Is Ben McKay the right player to throw all avaiable cash at? Over 7 completed seasons he's played just 52 games. He's clearly highly injury prone, played 15 games last season and was subbed off in 4 with injury.

Is he a good enough player that you'd take that chance on him given his likely salary demand?
Its a risk but if he gets his body right is in the top 5-10 full backs in the league. Has the size to match up on any of the monsters even if theyre all in our own forward line.

Is Ben McKay the right player to throw all avaiable cash at? Over 7 completed seasons he's played just 52 games. He's clearly highly injury prone, played 15 games last season and was subbed off in 4 with injury and is injured again now.

Wouldnt bother with him now to be honest

Good post, and I'm starting to think "no"

If we trade for Harry too, Ben can stop playing two games per week. That should help with the injuries.

Club seemed convinced they tabled a good enough offer to Dunkley albeit less than what Bris offered. How we lost out to Brisbane in a bidding war is beyond me and Geelong seem to be able to absorb 700k of bowes just to get a hold of pick 7.

Here we are losing Dunkley, Hunter who were on decent coin with Bruce and Keath coming to the end of their big deals that brought them to the club.
Hunter was pushed (firmly).
I would rather us have kept Dunkley but PS reports of our positioning suggests we will adapt to losing his tackle pressure.

Geelong are helped by Tom Hawkins accepting way unders in the past few years (300k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back