Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb, Harmes and Gardner are the deals I can't get over, 3 years was ludicrous, 2 at most.

Dale, Daniel and Macrae's deals made sense at the time so can't really complain. Dale and Macrae have at least shown that they are willing to accept the criticism and respond. Dale with his ball movement and efficiency and Macrae with his defensive pressure.

Dale has topped the player ratings in the last two matches, while Macrae has been ranked 1st in tackles and pressure points over the same period.

Williams, I would've preferred 3 but 4 is acceptable given that he can play both wing and defense.

Daniel is the big worry out of that lot though, showed next to nothing before getting dropped and hardly excelled tonight. I'd wager he is the most likely to leave.
OG, I had an observation that this year we seem to be relying more heavily on Bont, Libba, Treloar and maybe one or two others.

In other years, we seem to have had 10+ players a game get 20 or more possessions. This year, it only feels like it is about 5.

If the stats back this up, it tends to indicate that we have never owed so much to so few.

Inside Trading Article

YOUNG DOG IN DISCUSSIONS

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are in talks to extend Rising Star nominee Harvey Gallagher's time at the club after an exciting start to his second season.

Gallagher, who joined the Bulldogs at the 2022 draft, made his debut in round one this season and has so far played every game as a half-forward, including a Rising Star nomination for his two-goal, 16-disposal effort against West Coast in round three.

With his standard first two-year deal coming to an end this season, the Dogs are in talks over an extension for him at the kennel.
His manager Tom McConville from Mac's Sports, said discussions were underway for a new contract.

"Yeah, that's another contract that's on the table and we're discussing it. It's moving in the right direction and [we] expect something to get done there," McConville told Gettable, AFL.com.au's trade, draft and free agency show.

As Inside Trading reported last month, the Dogs also have an offer for Rhylee West on the table. – Callum Twomey

I’ve got a feeling Richmond are going to come hard for JUH. Big club, big games, draft capital to make it happen, need a kPF with Riewoldt gone and Lynch on last legs, JUH right age bracket for rebuild, salary cap to burn with baker, lynch and dusty off books. Need a marquee player.
I’m worried.

History of drafting First Nations kids, Indigenous game, yeah, a bit concerning.

I come in peace, and honestly don't mean to sound like a vulture, but...

Isn't Daniel on $750K+ for the last 2 years of his contract?

Could be an opportunity for the Bulldogs to offload that entire contract if there's a need to free up cap space in the coming years, but if that's the case it's sounding ominously similar to the Jack Bowes deal...(albeit Bowes doesn't come with the same Pedigree as Daniel... and Bulldogs aren't morons like GC)

Similar age, Same $$ & years left on contract, both playing local leagues.... GC gave Geelong Pick 7 to offload that whole contract.... now i'm not saying the same thing would happen, but if Crows were covering that entire contract, for a player not getting a game in the seniors, and he elects the Crows, and Bulldogs need the cap space...

The longer Daniel stays in the VFL the worse the trade outcome I think.
Welcome to post here anytime but it would be better to post things that don’t make you sound like a moron.

What is Bailey Smith going to get us?

His value is at its absolute lowest.

What is Bailey Smith going to get us?

His value is at its absolute lowest.
Article in the paper suggests hawks, pies or cats with hawks likely to have the best hand.

Though I can't see them giving a straight pick 2 or 3 for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a national comp like the AFL with a centric base in Victoria and the push for Northern state development there are inconsistencies everywhere. However, focusing on Victoria and 3 clubs namely the Dogs, Saints and North and free agency.

I thought these clubs would never get a flag when free agency came in. I was wrong somehow we plucked a flag from nowhere in 2016. I cannot see it happening for a long time now as us, North and the saints rarely or never attract the top free agencies required to complete your list when you close to competing for flag. Yes, Treloar is the exception for us because of a e salary dump by the pies.

Look at Bailey Smith for example will go the pies, cats or hawks. Most likely to the 2022 or 23 premiers. Just about every time a top free agent moves clubs to a Victorian club you can bet he will end up at the Cats, Pies, Bombers, Blues or tigers and to a lesser extent the Hawks or dees.

North do not have an academy like a GC and can slowly accumulate a lot of first rounders but will lose the likes of Mckay, LDU and Zuhar and I cannot see them really challenging for a flag anytime soon. If the saints or the dogs go down the bottom again and have a rebuild we will be in the same position. Put together 4 to 5 topliners but continue to lose talent through trading and never recruiting the top end talent through trading.

Yeah, sure good recruiting of lesser players who develop into good players help, plus good coaching and administration help but I cannot see any of the dogs, saints or roos winning a flag in the foreseeable future.

As Rex would say Yibberty, Yibberty that is my say and whine for the day.

Last edited:
Thought I’d better listen to the audio if I’m going to make comment! Won’t be listening to that garbage again. Blokes who think they’re funny talking over the top of each other. Draper should stick to his own mob that haven’t won a final in the age of colour television. That being said, we need to sort a lot out at WO and do it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They have won a final in the age of colour though everyone has, but the real question is whether it was in time for DVD rather than VHS?

In a national comp like the AFL with a centric base in Victoria and the push for Northern state development there are inconsistencies everywhere. However, focusing on Victoria and 3 clubs namely the Dogs, Saints and North and free agency.

I thought these clubs would never get a flag when free agency came in. I was wrong somehow we plucked a flag from nowhere in 2016. I cannot see it happening for a long time now as us, North and the saints rarely or never attract the top free agencies required to complete your list when you close to competing for flag. Yes, Treloar is the exception for us because of a e salary dump by the pies.

Look at Bailey Smith for example will go the pies, cats or hawks. Most likely to the 2022 or 23 premiers. Just about every time a top free agent moves clubs to a Victorian club you can bet he will end up at the Cats, Pies, Bombers, Blues or tigers and to a lesser extent the Hawks or dees.

North do not have an academy like a GC and can slowly accumulate a lot of first rounders but will lose the likes of Mckay, LDU and Zuhar and I cannot see them really challenging for a flag anytime soon. If the saints or the dogs go down the bottom again and have a rebuild we will be in the same position. Put together 4 to 5 topliners but continue to lose talent through trading and never recruiting the top end talent through trading.

Yeah, sure good recruiting of lesser players who develop into good players help, plus good coaching and administration help but I cannot see any of the dogs, saints or roos winning a flag in the foreseeable future.

As Rex would say Yibberty, Yibberty that is my say and whine for the day.

Your post-to-username-correlation is dropping precipitously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back