Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our current list is in a mess. No first round draft pick this year so no point in tanking and question marks about a number of players at present.

Personally, I would like to see us get games into Busslinger, A Jones & despite his horror show yesterday, Clarke. We need to find out if these players are up to it or not. Nothing to lose given we have no chance of making the 8 this year.

Its easy to say that we need to gut the list but given our lack of draft picks who are we realistically going to replace them with?

At this point as I see it, I would do the following :

Trade out/ FA :

• Smith - clearly gone with Hawthorn, Geelong & Collingwood keen. Should get a late first/early second rounder for him
  • English - Not worth anywhere near $1m a year and look for cheaper options. Should get 1st round compensation
  • Lobb - Surplus to requirements and maybe a 3rd rounder plus his salary will be a win

Delist/Retire from Senior List :

• Scott - Honest trier but been on the list too long and just a good VFL player
  • Keath - Retire body is cooked

Delist from Rookie List :

• Taylor Duryea - Retire, has been a good servant but we need to move past him
  • Lachlan Bramble - Not up to it, there was a reason Hawthorn let him go
  • Lachlan McNeil - List clogger, not up to the level

Plenty of other players that would love to move on but realistically they either won't get anything worthwhile in trades and not enough draft picks to replace them with.

Finally move Beveridge on, sooner rather than later and replace him with a young ambitious coach that can reinvigorate this group.
If Tim goes I am not sure we can offload Lobb. I mean of course we can but then that leaves us a bit thin.

Darcy Wilson would look great on one of our wings…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My 3 binkies from the 2023 draft were Wilson, Connor O'Sullivan and Ollie Murphy.

I like the look of Saunders, but any 1 of the above 3, plus Croft and our 2024 1st pick would be streets ahead of our current predicament.

Re Jamarra, when do we get official confirmation he has agreed to a 2 year contract? All we have at the moment is a journo generating clicks with a story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see something official from the club or Jamarra's agent or both, it all seems like speculation at the moment. But we live in hope.
Don’t think Mitch Cleary would go on National Television and Report that JUH has Re-Signed

Let’s be honest re Libba - he has nothing to prove and if there’s a heightened risk of CTE playing on he should retire.

Given his knee issues etc the threat of his retirement has loomed a while. He was only one more ACL off.

If he isn’t going to be coming back or retires later this year, the pressure is right on in the midfield. Desperately needs a rejuvenation.

Let’s be honest re Libba - he has nothing to prove and if there’s a heightened risk of CTE playing on he should retire.

Given his knee issues etc the threat of his retirement has loomed a while. He was only one more ACL off.

If he isn’t going to be coming back or retires later this year, the pressure is right on in the midfield. Desperately needs a rejuvenation.
Exactly this, he owes us nothing and gives us everything. No other mortal can say they've won a premiership and made a century at the MCG.
he has a young family and a long future ahead of him. The Liberatore name will always be one of the biggest at the club and with a little luck the next wave of Libbas will live up to those before them.

Agree. If there is even a slight chance there is CTE risk he really needs to consider his long term health.

What a hole he would leave. With Macrae’s drop off, Dunkley’s exit and Baz’s likely exit, there is already a huge drop in class.

Agree. If there is even a slight chance there is CTE risk he really needs to consider his long term health.

What a hole he would leave. With Macrae’s drop off, Dunkley’s exit and Baz’s likely exit, there is already a huge drop in class.
I think Macrae stepping up could help fill the hole in the short term (we aren’t very good anyway) but we’d need to seriously fast track some newbies.

Imagine Bont got injured…

Libba is my favourite ever player. I hope he retires. This club has a shameful history of handling head injuries (Picken is rightfully suing us), and the last few weeks have made it very clear that we have little interest in improving. To not perform a HIA in the Essendon game, nor in Q1 this week, is inexcusable.

I’d hate to see Libba end up like Picken

We need to be putting as much time as possible into Sanders, Garcia, and Gallagher to support Bont, Macrae and Trealor.

Hopefully our updated offer to Smith is enough to keep him.

Mids are easier to draft than talls so best available will likely be mids.

West is becoming a quality small/mid forward let him develop there and get Ed back to the half back line where he is already a very good player.

We have good bones and this can be turned around quickly by re signing younger players and bringing in players through the draft for the next couple of years

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t think Mitch Cleary would go on National Television and Report that JUH has Re-Signed

They are masters at walking stuff back. That's why I want to see it officially announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back