List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency VI - SHIEL now a Bomber, COLYER to Fremantle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Not in 2018 he wasn't.

From what I can understand we're using the mid year draft rule, which seems a bit odd, would rather just draft him and keep that other one up our sleeve next year.
I don't see the benefit from Clarke's perspective. Surely he isn't losing anything but just nominating for the draft in case he lands himself in a better situation.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Not in 2018 he wasn't.

From what I can understand we're using the mid year draft rule, which seems a bit odd, would rather just draft him and keep that other one up our sleeve next year.

You sure about that?

If he had a year to run, provision is still made in the salary cap, etc.

They didn't just magically add him to their list.

AFL Club
Essendon
If you go off the Afl website article it says that both mumford and clarke cant be dfas as both have had a year out of the game. But both are waiting to get afl approval on a new rule in which former afl listed players can sign as cat a rookies between dec 1 and march 15. It says there is a bit of confusion around the rule but the rule was originally brought in to help clubs cover for a sudden retirement or a serious long term injury. So apprantly clarke will have to nominate for the draft if the afl dont deem him or us eligible for this rule.

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I don't see the benefit from Clarke's perspective. Surely he isn't losing anything but just nominating for the draft in case he lands himself in a better situation.
I agree, it is a bit strange.
Fill me in Eth? Mid year draft rule? How's that processed?
Was covered by Bjchan13's post
You sure about that?

If he had a year to run, provision is still made in the salary cap, etc.

They didn't just magically add him to their list.
He isn't listed by GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Just had a look at Clarkes WAFL stats for this year, damn he smashed it out of the park on the hitout front! Decent scoreboard impact too. Perfect cover for TBell.

For those interested: http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/2093
I'm actually worried Clark is too good as I want to get some games into Draper especially considering he comes out of contract .

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australia | Liverpool
I'm actually worried Clark is too good as I want to get some games into Draper especially considering he comes out of contract .
I wouldn't be too concerned. Draper is still quite raw and I highly doubt he'll be ready for a game next year. We need a ready made quality ruckman to save the day if TBell goes down.

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't worry.

Draper is more than a year away from being a decent AFL ruckman. If Draper has to play alot of AFL this year we are in big trouble.
He's further ahead in his development than say what Pyke was for Sydney. If it came to the crunch and we had no choice to play Draper I think he could hold his own providing the team gave him structure e.g he's pretty decent at centre bounces, go forward where possible, if in the backline do not be a link up player nor do you kick.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a back up ruck so I can't say I really care but I'd take Campbell over Clarke and he's a competitor around the ground and competent enough VFL forward. Clarke on the other hand really only ever played forward in AFL and second ruck. Even when the opportunity presented to send Sandi to pasture Clarke found himself delisted.

To put his WAFL numbers into context are they not the same as Draper's? To the extent they're not I bet it's even over the second half of the season when Draper started playing 70% on ball (or a clear majority of game time).

Not saying that Clarke doesn't have a role to play, he's physically mature and AFL experienced but I wouldn't be getting too carried away. He's also about 1 year younger than Bellchambers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom