Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plants his feet, sticks his arse out and bodies blokes, can’t get off the ground.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with that but when you couple it with Hurley and Ambrose who are in the same boat it becomes a fraction samey

100% agree with hurley, he’s not an aerial player.
I know what you’re talking about with hooker in terms of just his body and backside to try and simply block the space, but I don’t believe that’s his exclusive move - he can also jump (or his equivalent of a jump) and take a mark.

100% agree with hurley, he’s not an aerial player.
I know what you’re talking about with hooker in terms of just his body and backside to try and simply block the space, but I don’t believe that’s his exclusive move - he can also jump (or his equivalent of a jump) and take a mark.

The question is is he able to jump with 200cm beanpoles? I don’t believe he is, they’re awful match ups for anyone in our current backline

The question is is he able to jump with 200cm beanpoles? I don’t believe he is, they’re awful match ups for anyone in our current backline
Are there any defenders in the league that can? I feel like anyone with that sort of leap tends to be planted either in the ruck or the forward line...

Dougal Howard comes to mind
Also Harris Andrews

Jordan Roughead and Rory Thompson come to mind as well as taller key backs. Despite being a fraction shorter I’d put Liam Jones, Hamling and Aliir in that category too because they’re jumpers and not wrestlers

Any chance of us shaking loose another GWS mid in the coming years? With Kelly signing on for 2 and Coniglio apparently close (although if you consult the hawkes board he's already bought 7 houses in Dingley). Lachie Whitfields next contract will be a big one and the form Taranto and Hopper are currently in the big offers are going to come for them. Really like the look of Hately but he's an SA boy so they will come knocking, don't know a heap about Caldwell.

We'll be fairly hamstrung for cap space too but would love to be able to squeeze in any of the above.

Any chance of us shaking loose another GWS mid in the coming years? With Kelly signing on for 2 and Coniglio apparently close (although if you consult the hawkes board he's already bought 7 houses in Dingley). Lachie Whitfields next contract will be a big one and the form Taranto and Hopper are currently in the big offers are going to come for them. Really like the look of Hately but he's an SA boy so they will come knocking, don't know a heap about Caldwell.

We'll be fairly hamstrung for cap space too but would love to be able to squeeze in any of the above.
As far as trades are concerned I'd be looking at you Jimmy Stewart or Edwards/Aylett type of deals (not necessarily just from GWS, but in general). Nick Robertson from Brisbane interests me. 191 cm, tough as nails and a good two way runner. I think they play him out of position in defence, I think he's a midfielder.

Also a youngish forward/ruck would be nice too. Think Sam Hayes or Darcy Cameron.

As far as trades are concerned I'd be looking at you Jimmy Stewart or Edwards/Aylett type of deals (not necessarily just from GWS, but in general). Nick Robertson from Brisbane interests me. 191 cm, tough as nails and a good two way runner. I think they play him out of position in defence, I think he's a midfielder.

Also a youngish forward/ruck would be nice too. Think Sam Hayes or Darcy Cameron.
Elliot Himmelberg I would have been a big fan of if he wasn't getting a crack but it seems as though he's moved past Jenkins now. Sam Hayes would be an interesting one, wonder if he's spent the last 12 months in the weight room during recovery from that ACL

Isn't Nick Robertson who Tippa kicked a bag of 7 on? I've never seen much in him. He plays with good aggression but not much else from what I've seen.

Isn't Nick Robertson who Tippa kicked a bag of 7 on? I've never seen much in him. He plays with good aggression but not much else from what I've seen.
He's aggressive and works really hard (both offensively and defensively) but his kicking is iffy and you saw what Walla did to him...

He's aggressive and works really hard (both offensively and defensively) but his kicking is iffy and you saw what Walla did to him...
Exactly. He'd quickly turn into one of our scapegoats like Myers or Bags.
I'd be looking at trying to pry Will Brodie or Harry Perryman away from their clubs. I doubt they would cost a lot.

BZT is no where near that size. He's basically the same size and shape as Ridley.

Admittedly he's got a nice leap on him but the point of Pearce is to have someone to physically match the monsters.
Ridley is 192cm and BZT is 196cm and has time to fill out.
Wouldnt call them the same size personally.

Ridley is 192cm and BZT is 196cm and has time to fill out.
Wouldnt call them the same size personally.

I know what their listed heights are.

Whatever his exact height is BZT is in that clump of players who all look 6'3. Two cm either side of 191 really makes no difference to the eye test.

Pearce, or an equivalent size and shape on our list such as Stewart, is a much bigger man than BZT is and I suspect ever will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Will Brodie shown any real signs since under 18s?
Showed some good signs last year.

Although i have said on this thread already that his inability to crack Gold coasts midfield rotation in year 3 is a concern. On talent he walks into that side but obviously workrate and/or defensive attitudes are an issue.

The exact sort of mid we need though. Big bodied with a decent burst from stoppages, would complement our current group nicely.

One of our second rounders this year would be fair currently but that is always subject to change.

Just randomly, Nakia Cockatoo is out of contract and I wonder how much a flier on him would cost. Yes we have our own injury prone half forward to think about (i see you Jayden Laverde) but Cockatoo's pedigree, upside and suitability to our gameplan is quite appetising

The only player you would consider trading for is a fringe player who meets an identified need - Otherwise hit the draft
I'd look at a ruck. 23-27yo range. Enough to cover TBC if he went down or needs resting, play forward if needed, but not expect to be a walk up 1st choice unless its earned through a strong pre-season.

Short of that, the 22 is pretty strong, and is even covering injury right now. 2 players have remained constant in our forward line this year and we've stacked on some good scores.
Can't say we have a lot of needs outside ruck depth when Francis, Parish and Langford are sitting in reserve.

Hitting the draft and nailing some more 2nd rd gems a la Merrett, Redman & Ridley will set us up nicely, much the way it has Geelong.

Showed some good signs last year.

Although i have said on this thread already that his inability to crack Gold coasts midfield rotation in year 3 is a concern. On talent he walks into that side but obviously workrate and/or defensive attitudes are an issue.

The exact sort of mid we need though. Big bodied with a decent burst from stoppages, would complement our current group nicely.

One of our second rounders this year would be fair currently but that is always subject to change.

Just randomly, Nakia Cockatoo is out of contract and I wonder how much a flier on him would cost. Yes we have our own injury prone half forward to think about (i see you Jayden Laverde) but Cockatoo's pedigree, upside and suitability to our gameplan is quite appetising

I think Brodie's kicking is an issue as well isn't it?

I still think our best bet is to see how we get Jack Martin into the club, who's willing to take a paycut to get him in? Dyson 'can't kick shouldn't be captain' Heppell? Bye Bye Bellchambers bye bye? Life membership to Myers but who else do you want to play for?

I think Brodie's kicking is an issue as well isn't it?

I still think our best bet is to see how we get Jack Martin into the club, who's willing to take a paycut to get him in? Dyson 'can't kick shouldn't be captain' Heppell? Bye Bye Bellchambers bye bye? Life membership to Myers but who else do you want to play for?
People rag on Heppell's captaincy for the first two games but since then he's had:

27 disposals (14 contested), 8 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances
22 disposals (11 contested), 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 clearances
32 disposals (9 contested), 11 marks, 3 tackles, 5 clearances
28 disposals (10 contested), 3 marks, 6 tackles, 2 clearances

His captaincy the past 4 games has been stellar.

People rag on Heppell's captaincy for the first two games but since then he's had:

27 disposals (14 contested), 8 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances
22 disposals (11 contested), 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 clearances
32 disposals (9 contested), 11 marks, 3 tackles, 5 clearances
28 disposals (10 contested), 3 marks, 6 tackles, 2 clearances

His captaincy the past 4 games has been stellar.

stats are 1 thing though Eth, impact is another. Against North he was good but in the big games when the pressure is on it really has a bearing on the effectiveness off his disposal. The loopy kicks that allow time for the opposition players to come into play, counter attack and score are being noted by the Essendon faithful.

Yes he set the standard against North but apart from the hawks match a couple years ago in first round I can't recall too many BIG matches where I thought the same.

Last week I thought it was Saad who sent the tone.

stats are 1 thing though Eth, impact is another. Against North he was good but in the big games when the pressure is on it really has a bearing on the effectiveness off his disposal. The loopy kicks that allow time for the opposition players to come into play, counter attack and score are being noted by the Essendon faithful.

Yes he set the standard against North but apart from the hawks match a couple years ago in first round I can't recall too many BIG matches where I thought the same.

Last week I thought it was Saad who sent the tone.
He was excellent in all of those games. I thought his captaincy vs Collingwood was very important, put his body on the line on several occassions and lead from the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back