Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Guys wanting Gleeson delisted might be disappointed. Yes, he's had a down year but he's clearly seen to be around the 22 with 13/17 games this season and we have already lost one half back with another 2 yet to sign.

talking to a geelong mate tonight

He was saying would we be interested in 2 firsts for McGrath

Id rather loose McGrath then Merret but the riot would be huge
You don't trade someone like McGrath unless he wanted out

You don't trade someone like McGrath unless he wanted out
Same as Merret but yeah I wouldn't say no to two firsts for him but will be interesting

talking to a geelong mate tonight

He was saying would we be interested in 2 firsts for McGrath

Id rather loose McGrath then Merret but the riot would be huge
Absolutely ******* not.

Merret is a much better kick and was AA

Both short people you have to loose one i think
Merretts kicking is overrated imo absolutely burns the ball sometimes and just chucks it on his boot almost no.1 offender along with shiel. McGrath is 22 and starting to blossom, why would jut handball him off to another club to reap the benefits of all the development we’ve put into him. He’s also the only one of our mids that runs both ways and actually plays for the team.

Merretts kicking is overrated imo absolutely burns the ball sometimes and just chucks it on his boot almost no.1 offender along with shiel. McGrath is 22 and starting to blossom, why would jut handball him off to another club to reap the benefits of all the development we’ve put into him. He’s also the only one of our mids that runs both ways and actually plays for the team.
What about we flog off Parish for a first

What about we flog off Parish for a first
I doubt we get a first for parish, don’t see the point of getting rid of him now as a 2nd round pick in this draft isn’t worth it. If Carlton or geelong came calling with 2 first rounders for merrett you’d have to strongly consider it. If you had to pick one would you rather have merrett and and 2nd round pick or parish and 2 1sts, I think it’s a pretty easy answer.

Who knows what will happen but looking like this could be a year where clubs/players act quickly. Norf set the ball rolling.

Quite possible we know by this time toorrow re Daniher & Saad.

BTW would trade Merrett before McGrath or Parish.

What sets Merrett apart from Parish and to a lesser extent Shiel is his ability to play a forthcoming and meaningful role in a natural role for him. He can contribute meaningfully on the wing or on ball, Parish (although learning) is not a genuine forward, contributes but is hardly consistent atm. Shiel is our best mid and isn't really required to play other roles. McGrath can play in most roles and contribute meaningfully which is why he won't be moved on.

What sets Merrett apart from Parish and to a lesser extent Shiel is his ability to play a forthcoming and meaningful role in a natural role for him. He can contribute meaningfully on the wing or on ball, Parish (although learning) is not a genuine forward, contributes but is hardly consistent atm. Shiel is our best mid and isn't really required to play other roles. McGrath can play in most roles and contribute meaningfully which is why he won't be moved on.
Problem with Merrett is he can easily be tagged. Apply heat physically and he goes missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad probably gone. Good on him, too good for our club. Came looking for success thought it was gonna be with us. We obviously sold him how good we could be and on the field showed absolutely nothing. Good luck mate. Same with daniher. Hope he goes too.

I can stomach a full rebuild. I really enjoy watching footy when you're looking for positives in prospective players.

What gets me irrationally angry is when we play the same old plodders with one or two top-ups and think we're going to see success.

Make some bold moves please. Get rid off Dodoro, he's had 4x the length of a career in list management than he should have.

I think he'd read this because he's a sadistic egomaniac - you're a joke mate. An absolute fraud.

1600473797883.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back