Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Question for those who are in the draft know, what is the likelihood that we trade down our first pick this year? Two picks in the late first/early second round may suit our needs more than an early first rounder...

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wouldnt mind talking to Geelong at all

It’s not just about trading players, and making sure we get something in return, salary cap plays a huge role, that’s why we need to move on Hurley, Hooker, Bellchambers and Zaharakis, those 4 take up about 2 mill salary cap.

I’d also be will to trade on of our “star” (lose term) midfielders. To get as many top end picks as we can.

That’s what we need, Clear salary cap, and get some top end picks in.

For me I’d trade Zac Merrett for two picks.
He is a good player, but he is a cherry on top type, and a bit too soft for mine.

Fantasia to Adelaide or port for a second rounder.

I’d also shop Francis, Redman and Laverde around.

I’d also trade our first round pick next year for the dogs first round this season.

This gives us the cash to sign Mcgrath, Ridley, Saad and Daniher, Langford.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No one in their right mind would give a 2nd round pick for Fantasia. He hasn't been able to get on the park for 3 years. Dont think anyone is giving 2 1sts for Merrett either. Unless they were late 1sts like 16/17. Also, i cant see why any of those contracted veterens would leave without taking their money. Even if you gave them away would another club come up with the money? Wouldnt be against trying to get the dogs first in somehow, would be nice to add a couple of midfielders before our Acadamy talls.

It’s not just about trading players, and making sure we get something in return, salary cap plays a huge role, that’s why we need to move on Hurley, Hooker, Bellchambers and Zaharakis, those 4 take up about 2 mill salary cap.

I’d also be will to trade on of our “star” (lose term) midfielders. To get as many top end picks as we can.

That’s what we need, Clear salary cap, and get some top end picks in.

For me I’d trade Zac Merrett for two picks.
He is a good player, but he is a cherry on top type, and a bit too soft for mine.

Fantasia to Adelaide or port for a second rounder.

I’d also shop Francis, Redman and Laverde around.

I’d also trade our first round pick next year for the dogs first round this season.

This gives us the cash to sign Mcgrath, Ridley, Saad and Daniher, Langford.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't agree with all your ideas however the premise is exactly the direction I would like the club to take. Be bold, be aggressive, upset the apple cart for the benefit of the club.

I don't agree with all your ideas however the premise is exactly the direction I would like the club to take. Be bold, be aggressive, upset the apple cart for the benefit of the club.
I think we need to start again. Loved bringing in the 4 S's and at times they've all been good. However, it clearly hasn't worked for the overall expected team improvement. I'd put everyone up for trade, expect for Ridley, McGrath, Draper, Saad, Langford & probably Merrett.
Be brave and try to improve our draft position. I would seriously listen to offers for:
JD (pick 10-20)
Smith (pick 20 - 30)
Hurley (pick 30-40)
Francis (pick 20-30)
Stringer (pick 15 - 25)
Tippa (pick 15 - 25)
Fantasia (pick 30-40)
Gleeson (pick 35-60)
Laverde (pick 35-60)

Last edited:
I think we need to start again. Loved bringing in the 4 S's and at times they've all been good. However, it clearly hasn't worked for the overall expected team improvement. I'd put everyone up for trade, expect for Ridley, McGrath, Draper, Saad, Langford & probably Merrett.
Be brave and try to improve our draft position. I would seriously listen to offers for:
JD (pick 10-20)
Smith (pick 20 - 30)
Hurley (pick 30-40)
Francis (pick 20-30)
Stringer (pick 15 - 25)
Tippa (pick 15 - 25)
Fantasia (pick 30-40)
Gleeson (pick 35-50)
Laverde (pick 35-50)

Don't think we really have players with much trade currency without gutting our list - which hasn't really been proven to work in the modern era.

We have some decent quality in the < 25 / 26 region, with a handful of guys in the last year or two of their careers. I'd say we need to hit the next 1 - 2 drafts and bring in genuine quality in the first round, along with looking to use the trade period to try to find guys who are in the 22 - 25 region that are at least 5 year prospects with the club.

Shiel, Saad, Smith, Stringer all have 3 - 5 years of their prime years ahead of them, along with the younger guys coming in to their primes. We need to build toward what the list will look like in 2022, and accept that 2021 is likely to be a transition year. Port basically did this when they traded out Wingard.

As well as Rich, Lester, Bewick, a bit of Josh Walker, it was a bit of a mish mash group that really gelled and grew while he was there, they don’t have to be 20 year old kids to be able to learn things and grow as players.

Is there someone out there that can do what Hodge did for Brisbane’s defensive group? Or going back a few what Daniel Cross and Jordan Lewis did for Melbourne’s midfield? Set lasting, non negotiable standards that endure and resonate with anyone that walks in the door?

I’m not sure there is but I’d be certainly keeping ears to the floor. That’s where you’re going to get your lasting and potentially rapid improvement from, not by blowing everything up and starting again. To me the fact that we are able to play a desperate, manic, forward half pressure game but only when we feel like it is down to fitness and the fact that Devon Smith is the only real lead by example genuinely tough prick we have. It might not even be a player coach, it might be an assistant who’s voice genuinely resonates.

As far as what we do about it, not panic would be rule number 1

What do you mean by not panic? As in, don't tear it down?

I think you're really overrating our list.

It doesn't really matter if we're good at something, if we're only good at it for 25% of the game/season.

I'm not entirely sure why people are acting like we're on the edge or not that far away. We're 13th on the Ladder. The team/list we have right now is not a competitive one unfortunately.

It doesn't really matter if we're good at something, if we're only good at it for 25% of the game/season.

I'm not entirely sure why people are acting like we're on the edge or not that far away. We're 13th on the Ladder. The team/list we have right now is not a competitive one unfortunately.

I'll put my hand up and say I over rated our list significantly.

On paper (major flaw to begin with on my behalf) we have All Australians on every line, we have match winners all over the ground, we have some seriously decent players in key spots.

Sadly some of these said key players have either regressed (on the decline) or are badly off this year or simply can't get on the park. A combination which was never going to bode well.

We do need a key defender who can handle the bigger bodies as long as they are cheap
I agree. Which is why we shouldn't get Aidan Corr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think we really have players with much trade currency without gutting our list - which hasn't really been proven to work in the modern era.

We have some decent quality in the < 25 / 26 region, with a handful of guys in the last year or two of their careers. I'd say we need to hit the next 1 - 2 drafts and bring in genuine quality in the first round, along with looking to use the trade period to try to find guys who are in the 22 - 25 region that are at least 5 year prospects with the club.

Shiel, Saad, Smith, Stringer all have 3 - 5 years of their prime years ahead of them, along with the younger guys coming in to their primes. We need to build toward what the list will look like in 2022, and accept that 2021 is likely to be a transition year. Port basically did this when they traded out Wingard.

Smith's prime looks done. Body is shot.

He’s locked into north. Only club that would offer an average defender a 5 year deal.
Average is generous.

Would be lookin to poach whichever of Pearce, Hamling, Logue or Cox Freo offloads.

Average is generous.

Would be lookin to poach whichever of Pearce, Hamling, Logue or Cox Freo offloads.

Can't say I've seen him play with the agility and the 360 movement but i wonder if they have a look at Logue in the middle.

Reckon that there is more to be done by a guy with his engine (which would be Ambrose like) than playing a role as an intercept/third tall defender.

The obvious call is that Cox is gettable because he seems to be 4th in line but he's also the only one that can get out on the park.

I dont think they'll move on Cox. Having said that I'd turn BZT into Cox without a moments hesitation.

JD (pick 10-20)
Smith (pick 20 - 30)
Hurley (pick 30-40)
Francis (pick 20-30)
Stringer (pick 15 - 25)
Tippa (pick 15 - 25)
Fantasia (pick 30-40)
Gleeson (pick 35-60)
Laverde (pick 35-60)
leaves us very light for talent

Also not sure many of those player net those deals.
JD, Stringer and Tippa perhaps do. Taking 1/3 of our fwd line with it...and the most potent parts of it

JD (pick 10-20)
Smith (pick 20 - 30)
Hurley (pick 30-40)
Francis (pick 20-30)
Stringer (pick 15 - 25)
Tippa (pick 15 - 25)
Fantasia (pick 30-40)
Gleeson (pick 35-60)
Laverde (pick 35-60)
Whoever coughs up pick 35 for Gleeson or Laverde should never manage a list again.

Can't say I've seen him play with the agility and the 360 movement but i wonder if they have a look at Logue in the middle.

Reckon that there is more to be done by a guy with his engine (which would be Ambrose like) than playing a role as an intercept/third tall defender.

The obvious call is that Cox is gettable because he seems to be 4th in line but he's also the only one that can get out on the park.

I dont think they'll move on Cox. Having said that I'd turn BZT into Cox without a moments hesitation.
I'd say Hmling would be the one most likely to leave/get shipped off.

I’ve seen trading Shiel, Merrett and AMT thrown up on here, to me that’s panicking.

It doesn’t mean we don’t need to uppercut ourselves and smarten the hell up but to me that’s throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Where do we want to go and what do we need to get there, that’s essentially what it boils down to, and if everyone else in the competition can feasibly ask and answer those questions without turfing everything we have that’s remotely good then so can we.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back