Trading Players Under Contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie_Roo

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the Herald Sun the other day, there was a list of players that were out of contract at the end of the year. I noticed that Shane Clayton's name wasn't there. Does anyone know whether he can still be traded? Or are we stuck with another frustrating year before the club can do anything? I know that we can't delist him without paying him out, but I'm not clear on whether he is tradeable??

Any answers???

Originally posted by Aussie_Roo
In the Herald Sun the other day, there was a list of players that were out of contract at the end of the year. I noticed that Shane Clayton's name wasn't there. Does anyone know whether he can still be traded? Or are we stuck with another frustrating year before the club can do anything? I know that we can't delist him without paying him out, but I'm not clear on whether he is tradeable??

Any answers???

Judging by the Calthorpe situation two years ago, a club can still trade a contracted player if the player agrees. There is probably some onus on the player's new club to negotiate an agreeable salary amount for the remaining years of the contract.

This isn't gospel, just what I've surmised going on past dealings.

The Tigers have been trying to trade Daffy for 2 years because he is on a better contract than his ability.
We picked up Calthorpe on the same basis just to cement the Colbert deal.
If a player is out of contract he can just nominate for the pre season draft.

You peopleare sure hard on Clayton i am unbiased actually a swan supporter who has a soft spot for the roos actually saw the first grand final win.I felt that Clayton played a sevicable game friday he makes some mistakes but is still fairly young he is a good receiver and usually runs well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back