Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think teams would use a playmaking to exploit the fact he's likely to play unaccountably?
He's not wrong. It varies team by team, and even then it varies between matchups and games. Some are more than happy to allow the opposition a spare defender because it allows them +1 in their back half or even around the stoppages. It's a moot discussion right now anyway, we have no real idea what Noble has planned. JZ might be a spare, someone else might be, or we might just roll with 6.

He's not wrong. It varies team by team, and even then it varies between matchups and games. Some are more than happy to allow the opposition a spare defender because it allows them +1 in their back half or even around the stoppages. It's a moot discussion right now anyway, we have no real idea what Noble has planned. JZ might be a spare, someone else might be, or we might just roll with 6.

Agree. I think the Ziebull 's point stand though, even the most brilliant loose defender will be countered with a loose opposing player so it always carries risk.

You better hope they're blocking and rebounding well because you've handed a free ticket in the F50 for your opponent.

While they do some running in 35+ degrees:

Appleby had some horrific moments kicking the footy. Went to centre at one point and just turned it over entirely, leading to a goal against. He does have some upside I think as a purely defensive player, when he came further up the ground he had a couple of really nice spoils and defensive efforts where you could actively hear others getting around him (particularly LMac)

Polec playing as a defender on Tarryn had predictable results (ie TT burnt him for two marks on the lead in two forays forward and kicked two goals). The team obviously continues to trust Polly as an offensive option, they handed off to him for long left foot shots on goal at least twice that I saw

Mahoney is extremely lively and had probably the most of the ball that I saw outside the mids. Playing as a deep lying HFF pushing up the ground no higher than the wings, getting used a LOT as the next kick out of defence. He and Stepho linked up twice in identical plays where Stepho received get out handballs from the mids, took two bounces and drew a player before handballing to Mahoney for a shot on goal. He looks really compact and fit as well, elusive and slick

Agree. I think the Ziebull 's point stand though, even the most brilliant loose defender will be countered with a loose opposing player so it always carries risk.

You better hope they're blocking and rebounding well because you've handed a free ticket in the F50 for your opponent.

It's not as if the magnets on the board get frozen in time at this point.

The moment JZ gets picked up by an opposition mismatch, he goes straight to the tweener.

Polec playing as a defender on Tarryn had predictable results (ie TT burnt him for two marks on the lead in two forays forward and kicked two goals).

A bizarre matchup.

Some more...

R2D2 is rapid and his closing speed is phenomenal. Erased I think Powell from the face of the earth in the end to end sim. Tackles to hurt as well, there's no half measures or holding back because it's preseason. I didn't see much from him in an offensive sense but I think pairing him with Turner for example where you put them both in a fwd 50 setup and tell them to attack like their lives depend on it, would be extremely s**t hot as defensive forwards

Garner looks so trim and fit

They're running laps now - as they ran past me someone yelled out "square of 5?" Most others yelled "25". We are breeding maths wizards

This is a punishing running session. From 25m out to 25m out at the other end at about 75-80%, then back again, probably six times - theyve done three sets with slow half laps in between. Not so bad in 20 degree weather but I'm in the shade and it's hot so I can't imagine how they're going. Phillips another standout in running drills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't last. Polly may have been resting as he had done a fair bit of mid work prior to that

Tarryn has very solid aerial capability and Polec is basically non existent on that front.

They're running laps now - as they ran past me someone yelled out "square of 5?" Most others yelled "25". We are breeding maths wizards

The square of 5 is actually 2.23606797749979

It's a pity EVW was delisted.

While they do some running in 35+ degrees:

Appleby had some horrific moments kicking the footy. Went to centre at one point and just turned it over entirely, leading to a goal against. He does have some upside I think as a purely defensive player, when he came further up the ground he had a couple of really nice spoils and defensive efforts where you could actively hear others getting around him (particularly LMac)

Polec playing as a defender on Tarryn had predictable results (ie TT burnt him for two marks on the lead in two forays forward and kicked two goals). The team obviously continues to trust Polly as an offensive option, they handed off to him for long left foot shots on goal at least twice that I saw

Mahoney is extremely lively and had probably the most of the ball that I saw outside the mids. Playing as a deep lying HFF pushing up the ground no higher than the wings, getting used a LOT as the next kick out of defence. He and Stepho linked up twice in identical plays where Stepho received get out handballs from the mids, took two bounces and drew a player before handballing to Mahoney for a shot on goal. He looks really compact and fit as well, elusive and slick

So based off this stepho is on the wing? Appleby you say was better fwd than back... noting his only game for Coll was fwd

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So based off this stepho is on the wing? Appleby you say was better fwd than back... noting his only game for Coll was fwd

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a coach but Id suggest right now Stephenson is a HFF/wing for us. I don't think he is a full time mid just yet but he is definitely getting the reps there in training

Not suggesting Appleby is a forward by any stretch, but from my limited viewing he showed far more as a negating player than he did as a creative attacking halfback.

If there are any questions I can answer as I go. Saw a few more that I haven't seen much of for the other times I've dropped into training.

From my observations on the game plan more generally, it looks like we are going to attack the corridor more frequently this year, by hook or by crook. The end to end sim looked like it was designed to avoid the ball ever going wide through the wings; there was a focus on switching but not ever so wide that it went deep into the pockets or into the wings. Additionally just little other things, ie as I was leaving - LMac, Taz and JWalker practicing taking marks just behind the centre line and just out on the wing, turning and spotting up a rebounding defender in the corridor

I don't know if this is someone Brisbane did a lot of but I have barely seen us go the wings at all this preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back