Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for pressure, but let's not kid ourselves, Varcoe didn't do enough on the weekend for an experienced finals campaigner, something that we currently lack. Hope we get a better showing on Saturday.

Cheers mate, pretty new to BigFooty haha so i'll consider that in the future

A belated welcome!

Some folks seem to be disagreeing with the idea - but don’t take offense or let it put you off. On pretty much every topic there will be a broad spectrum of opinions from embracing support to wild condemnation. This place would be boring if everybody had the same opinion.

Maybe it works better there because goals are scored less regularly, but this is a very common thing at soccer games. I love the idea but yes if the Varcoe would dislike it (for whatever reason that could possibly be) then it shouldn't go ahead.

Maybe it works better there because goals are scored less regularly, but this is a very common thing at soccer games. I love the idea but yes if the Varcoe would dislike it (for whatever reason that could possibly be) then it shouldn't go ahead.
I know this is off topic, but two things fella

a) Your signature is spot on. Now I know who edited my signature last year. Bloody rats.

b) You have been here since 2002?!! What was big footy like then?

Back on topic. Two great finals moments from Varcoe on Saturday night. That running goal from the pocket on the arc was superb, and capped off a reversal of momentum. The run down tackle lead directly to a goal as well.

I know we can't say he definitely would have kicked a goal when he slipped over, but same as when he kicked that first goal, I had a gut feeling he would. Travvy is on fire at the moment, and he bobs up at key moments. If he kicks two or three like that on Saturday night, and applies forward pressure, we win. GWS won't have a hope in hell.

Have you consulted the Family?

Travis is employed by an organization whose reason for being is for the sole benefit of a community who are often referred to as ‘supporters’.

If these supporters want to take the initiative and engage in a very modest acknowledment during the next home game ... there is no reason for the intent to be taken as anything other than full respect, care, and solidarity. All the more so for a bloke who nobody would begrudge for taking leave-of-absence but has chosen not to do so.

We have to be careful to not let the political correctness pendulum swing too high, because when it swings back - and it will - it’ll swing back hard.

Thought that the wearing of the armband by the entire competition last week was a good way to seal this horrible experience off for the Varcoe family.
Huge respect from Trav’s Peers.
Not sure anything else needs to be done.
But if it’s true that the club is now involved, I’ll hope that Travis and his family have the final word.

I like the sentiment but it's such an awkward way of showing it. If the 18th minute is continuous action i'm not sure the maximum number of people are going to stop and clap while we are potentially going to score or are trying to save a goal. The moment will just be lost depending on what is happening in the game. Also would prefer something that Travis can stop to appreciate it if he feels like it's something he wants. During a game he is focused on something else. But if it goes ahead i'll try and join in for sure if its clear the family wants it.

Last edited:
18th-minute mark of the 1st quarter - a minute applause for Trav and the Varcoe family

It's been doing the rounds on social media and would be a touching tribute. I'm sure Trav would appreciate it.

Hopefully I am not sounding like a "tick in the mud" but I thought the black arm bands at every match and the minutes silence at the Pies match last week was a fitting tribute.
The 18 minute mark applause has a whiff of overkill to me.
Not sure he needs or wants to be reminded mid match.
Lets give him a turducken standing ovation after the GF win.

Travis is employed by an organization whose reason for being is for the sole benefit of a community who are often referred to as ‘supporters’.

If these supporters want to take the initiative and engage in a very modest acknowledment during the next home game ... there is no reason for the intent to be taken as anything other than full respect, care, and solidarity. All the more so for a bloke who nobody would begrudge for taking leave-of-absence but has chosen not to do so.

We have to be careful to not let the political correctness pendulum swing too high, because when it swings back - and it will - it’ll swing back hard.
You really don't get it do you?

Never mind, I had my say.

You know the alternative word for Political Correctness is Respect, don't you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for pressure, but let's not kid ourselves, Varcoe didn't do enough on the weekend for an experienced finals campaigner, something that we currently lack. Hope we get a better showing on Saturday.
Maybe you should cut him a bit of slack given what has happened snd actually show some respect for him playing at all

What about where one WC supporter posted on our board that WC BF posters wanted to applaud Varcoe (which they didn't) when he first got the ball. How would this be disrespectful and why should the family be consulted? .

Well it didnt happen so clearly it didnt get traction. If the crowd wants to spontaneously applaud a player for any reason then thats awesome .........because its spontaneous. But to organise in advance by social media is narcissistic. "Look at me, I made the handclaps go viral".

Well it didnt happen so clearly it didnt get traction. If the crowd wants to spontaneously applaud a player for any reason then thats awesome .........because its spontaneous. But to organise in advance by social media is narcissistic. "Look at me, I made the handclaps go viral".
It's not narcissistic. I know the guy that first posted it and he meant nothing but good intentions. He's a very respectful person who has acknowledged the situation and apologised. Idiotic comment really.

It's not narcissistic. I know the guy that first posted it and he meant nothing but good intentions. He's a very respectful person who has acknowledged the situation and apologised. Idiotic comment really.

I retract that comment and apologise. Good intentions perhaps but not a good idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back