Trivia time!

Remove this Banner Ad

The opposition skipper basically said to his lads 'Righto, fellas, we're not going into the record books as the team theat has the record score against them. We give up'.

They didn't come out after the lunch(?) break.

Correct. It's just not cricket, is it?

A previously exclusive first-class batting club now has a new member, as far as I know the membership of this club now numbers two.
What is the club and who are the members?

Nor keeping up with all the first-class scores around the world, I'll take a couple of stabs.

1. Two double centuries in same game - only done once before in the 1930s - Arthur Fagg.
2. Opener who was 10th wicket to fall in each innings - Desi Haynes in 1980s.

Those are the only 2 'one-off' records I can remember (excluding left-handed vegetarians on a full moon whose name starts contains a prime number of letters etc - the really weird ones that nobody would consider).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their first 20?
Nein. West Indies won their sixth Test overall, against England in 1930, and by 20 Tests played overall, had actually won a series (1934-35 against England).
The 1950's ?
No. They were up and down in the '50s but never went anywhere near 20 in a row without a win.

Nein. West Indies won their sixth Test overall, against England in 1930, and by 20 Tests played overall, had actually won a series (1934-35 against England).
No. They were up and down in the '50s but never went anywhere near 20 in a row without a win.
Cool, Last attempt.. 1940's....

Btw is Ashley Nurse related to Seymour Nurse ?

Cool, Last attempt.. 1940's....

Btw is Ashley Nurse related to Seymour Nurse ?
Don't know; they're both Barbadian and Barbados isn't a huge place, so I guess it's possible.

It wasn't the 1940s. WWII severely disrupting cricket as it did, WI only played nine Tests in the 1940s all up, but were actually undefeated; they won 2-0 in a four match series against England in 1947-48, and 1-0 in a five match series in India in 1948-49.

Don't know; they're both Barbadian and Barbados isn't a huge place, so I guess it's possible.

It wasn't the 1940s. WWII severely disrupting cricket as it did, WI only played nine Tests in the 1940s all up, but were actually undefeated; they won 2-0 in a four match series against England in 1947-48, and 1-0 in a five match series in India in 1948-49.

Well then I failed. Two guesses and nowhere near it...lol

Cheated! I suspected it would be very recent, but it was actually June 2005 - June 2007.

But boy they have been pretty crappy since then. They have winless streaks of 17 and 13 games in the last decade.

West Indies also had 20 winless Tests between 1969 and 1973, from the second Test of their New Zealand tour of 1968-69 through to the fifth Test of the 1973 home series versus Australia. They had 6 losses and 14 draws with a team which contained Sobers, Kanhai, Gibbs, Lloyd and Fredericks.

West Indies also had 20 winless Tests between 1969 and 1973, from the second Test of their New Zealand tour of 1968-69 through to the fifth Test of the 1973 home series versus Australia. They had 6 losses and 14 draws with a team which contained Sobers, Kanhai, Gibbs, Lloyd and Fredericks.
This was the answer I was after!

As you say, 6 losses and 14 draws in 20 Tests. They had lost Conrad Hunte, Seymour Nurse and Basil Butcher from the fine side of the early to mid 1960s, but with Sobers, Kanhai, Lloyd and Fredericks, they still had the nucleus of a fine batting side. The problem was the bowling; after Hall and Griffith finished up, they really didn't find another top quality paceman until Andy Roberts came along. They weren't an easy team to beat, but neither could they finish teams off for wins.

This 20 match streak equals one modern era streak of 2005-07 at STFU Donnie notes; they also managed to go 18 Tests without victory in 2009-11.

Last edited:

Proof, if ever it were really needed, that bowlers win matches.

Proof, if ever it were really needed, that bowlers win matches.

Yep, always got to approach Test matches thinking need 20 wickets to try to win. It is amazing how some sides over time are not picked with that in mind. Poms at times in early 80's used to pick off spinners that contained batsmen rather than wicket tackers and showed drawing Test matches as safe approach never far from their mind. Phil Edmonds and John Emburey, FMD. What the Poms were doing picking Sam Curran as front line bowler in Test a few weeks back was mind boggling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back