Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't mind the graphics package. It is clean and easy to decipher and allows for the main info to remain while other stats are shown.

My only gripe is the continued use of the texta style font for the team names and players last names. Every thing else is clean, and this just stands out as not fitting with the overall package.

Again, what about this part of the graphics
1572157523424.png

also, why is the edge between the batting team and the batsmen so blurry while the edge between the batsmen and the bowler is much cleaner?

Not sure why 7 don’t use something closer to the test graphics for the T20s. The test set is great, I don’t really like the glossy texture on all 7s stuff but that aside, it’s very clear and easy to get the information you want.

I just flicked on FoxFooty for a moment and its a Channel 7 game from 2000 with a scorebug I haven't ever seen before.
Gibbsy you might know more about this?

20191222_171658.jpg 20191222_171617.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just flicked on FoxFooty for a moment and its a Channel 7 game from 2000 with a scorebug I haven't ever seen before.

View attachment 797014View attachment 797015
I believe that they are the 'C7 Sport' graphics, a pay TV channel available on Optus Vision which (I think) was owned by Channel 7. Someone like Gibbsy would probably be able to offer more detail.

I remember this game being shown on Fox Footy in the off season last year as well, thought that it was interesting that Fox have access to matches shown on Optus. Perhaps the AFL themselves are in control of the archives?

Last edited:

I believe that they are the 'C7 Sport' graphics, a pay TV channel available on Optus Vision which (I think) was owned by Channel 7. Someone like Gibbsy would probably be able to offer more detail.

I remember this game being shown on Fox Footy in the off season last year as well, thought that it was interesting that Fox have access to matches shown on Optus. Perhaps the AFL themselves are in control of the archives?

Yeah thats C7. The main scoreboard is actually a precursor to the 2001 design used for the main channel, while the scorebug is based on the 2000 design. C7 would use that colour scheme for other sports too, certainly in the NSL at the time which you can see here.

Absolutely C7 Sport - in the 1990's it was Optus v Foxtel - Fox had Premier Sports (which became Fox Sports) but only really had Super 12, while Optus' Sports Australia (which became C7 after Seven got involved) had AFL, NRL and the NSL. Around the Olympics C7 began falling apart and Fox nicked the AFL rights to launch Fox Footy Channel (the original one), while the Super League war in 1997-98 saw the pay TV rights for the new NRL go to Fox with Optus granted an NRL Channel. When C7 went bust in 2001-02 Fox then granted Optus access to Fox Sports One and Fox Sports Two as Optus Sports One and Optus Sports Two, on-air simply "Sports One" and "Sports Two" before the content supply agreement ended the war with Optus buying wholesale rights to the Foxtel Digital service in 2004.

tldr; C7 Sports which worked until it lost money and Fox launched Fox Footy Channel

The one thing Austar had over Foxtel was the fact it had Fox(Premier) Sports and C7 Sport. For us poor folk in the sticks, it really was the best of both worlds.
It was a bit of a gentleman's agreement in a way but not really - Telstra and Optus CBA'd to lay HFC outside of the metros so Austar had an untapped market and neither Foxtel or Optus Vision were too concerned about giving them their channels knowing it wouldn't take subs away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back