UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Italy outplayed England for 95% of the match. Clearly superior technically and especially tactically. Mancini had it all over Southgate. As the game went on, Italy became super-confident because their opponent's inferiority was so obvious (except to the English commentators) - if you're unbiased and love the game, it's easy to pick who the better team was.

IT'S COMING TO ROME

Last edited:
Historically I'll say Italy, they revolutionised football back in the 30's under the great Vittorio Puzzo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Pozzo using tactical astute by attack through defence wining World Cups in 1934 1938 and the Olympic gold in 1936. Italy has been renowned as a powerful football nation ever since and still implement this philosophy and have won a further two World Cups 1982 2006 and runners-up in 1970 1994 (both to bloody Brazil).

The Dutch in the 70's also revolutionised the game with their total football philosophy where any outfield player can take over the role of any other player in a team. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football Had been used in South America and at club football previously but the Dutch perfected it and was a big game changer in Europe although the Dutch never won a World Cup using this style (two Runners-up) it has been successful in club football over the years since.

Germany has been consistent with their strong investment in development and their ever reliable German work ethic.

Most recently Spain but it took them a while historically its been difficult with the Spanish national teams due to the divide between Spanish and Catalonians.
I've been watching the world game since about 1968, and for me the Spanish team that won the World Cup in 2010 and then the Euros in 2012 is by a fair way the best team I've ever seen. I watched Italy get thrashed in 2012 (I support Italy, my parents' home country) and marvelled at the Spanish passing - simply the greatest collection of super-duper stars of all time + a brilliant manager.

I love the current Italian team and what Mancini has done with them but they still have a way to go before they reach Spain's 2010/12 level.

Having said that...

IT'S COMING TO ROME

Last edited:
If we're talking about European dynasties in football then the Spanish of 08 to 12 have to claim the plaudits for what they did, though the French side of 98-2000 won back-to-back major tournaments as well. You could make a case for Germany - 1990 WC, EC finalists in 92, EC winners in 96, not a bad run.

If we expanded the idea to include the entire world, the Brazil side of 58-70 won three out of four World Cups, and the Brazil side of 94-02 reach the WC final on three consecutive occasions, winning two of them. I'd be inclined to say the 58-70 era is the strongest performance of any footballing nation.

For Europe, it has to be the Spain sides from 08-12.

If we're talking about European dynasties in football then the Spanish of 08 to 12 have to claim the plaudits for what they did, though the French side of 98-2000 won back-to-back major tournaments as well. You could make a case for Germany - 1990 WC, EC finalists in 92, EC winners in 96, not a bad run.

If we expanded the idea to include the entire world, the Brazil side of 58-70 won three out of four World Cups, and the Brazil side of 94-02 reach the WC final on three consecutive occasions, winning two of them. I'd be inclined to say the 58-70 era is the strongest performance of any footballing nation.

For Europe, it has to be the Spain sides from 08-12.

If you are going for Brazil for 12 years and definitely, you would. Germany made World Cup finals in 1982 and 1986, so you could say Germany 1982-1996 despite losing more finals than they won. West Germany/Germany made European Finals in 1972, 1976, 1980, 1992 and 1996. And World Cup Finals in 1982, 1986 and 1990. Extend it out and you could add a World Cup Final in 1966 and another in 2002. 10 major tournament Finals in 36 years. That’s an incredible run.

Although that would be too long to be considered a “dynasty”. :p

Last edited:
If you are going for Brazil for 12 years and definitely, you would. Germany made World Cup finals in 1982 and 1986, so you could say Germany 1982-1996 despite losing more finals than they won. West Germany/Germany made European Finals in 1972, 1976, 1980, 1992 and 1996. And World Cup Finals in 1982, 1986 and 1990. Extend it out and you could add a World Cup Final in 1966 and another in 2002. 10 major tournament Finals in 36 years. That’s an incredible run.

Although that would be too long to be considered a “dynasty”. :p

Oh the Germans definitely rival the Brazilians in the long-run. It's mad to think they've only clashed twice at World Cups. You could say they have an equal record, but that 7-1 certainly gives the Germans better goal difference!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back