Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

Remove this Banner Ad

As I recall the only comment during the game was when North Melbourne had a dubious one paid against them (Brad Scott did his 'umpiring incompetence' face and the commentators reacted). We all raged that day but barely a word was said about it.

It was Umpire Appreciation Round, so the commentators were expressly directed to go easy on them.

On Offsiders (ABC) the morning after, Whateley said we were hard done by and there wouldn’t be any wider talk of that due to the aforementioned celebration of officiating. And that was that.

Umpires paid significantly more holding the ball free kicks from Rounds 5-8 after Alastair Clarkson’s outburst, but got fewer right, a leaked document shows. Foxfooty.com.au has obtained a memo sent to clubs on Wednesday which details the breakdown of free-kicks in the last month.

The email included a detailed infographic and was put together by the AFL.

From Rounds 1-4, there was an average of 6.7 holding the ball free kicks per game - 82 percent of these decisions were deemed correct.

From Rounds 5-8, there was an average of 9.6 holding the ball frees per match, with 80 percent considered correct.

All up, there were more frees paid in the last month than the first month of the season, up by 2.4 percent. But the accuracy fell marginally, from 82 percent in Rounds 1-4 to 79 percent in Rounds 5-8.

Marking infringement accuracy was down 7 percent, while general play free kick accuracy (encompassing high tackles, push in the back and holding the man) fell 1 percent.

BREAKDOWN OF FREE KICKS ROUNDS IN ROUNDS 5-8

All free kicks: 37.8 per game at 79% accuracy (35.4 in Rounds 1-4 at 82%)

General play free kicks: 16 per game at 81% (15.9 in Rounds 1-4 at 82%)

Marking infringements: 7.8 per game at 78% (8.4 in Rounds 1-4 at 85%)

Holding the ball (all categories): 9.6 per game at 80% (6.7 in Rounds 1-4 at 82.3%)

I thought the umpiring in last night's game wasn't too bad overall and in floggings like that the better team usually gets the rub of the green, but I lost count of the times players from both sides were swung 180 degrees in tackles for a play on call.
The above situation has been holding the ball more often than not for decades but it appeared to me the only decisions they wanted to make last night was when a player had the ball underneath him when he was on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time we complain about a reaming in years = get a decent run next game. We really need to stop playing the nice little club in this league. The AFL responds to public perception and NOTHING else.

Unfortunately it was in a game we didn’t need their help! But was amazing to see a fair game for once.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought the umpiring in last night's game wasn't too bad overall and in floggings like that the better team usually gets the rub of the green, but I lost count of the times players from both sides were swung 180 degrees in tackles for a play on call.
The above situation has been holding the ball more often than not for decades but it appeared to me the only decisions they wanted to make last night was when a player had the ball underneath him when he was on the ground.
It's pretty much useless talking about umpires. The calls are random. They may call or may not call anything due "reasons." It's maddening.

I am sick of these umps being told to focus on something different every week. It would be far more consistent if they just called what they saw instead.
I've come around to everything that can be done to remove ambiguity in the rules should be done. Knock it through the goals/behinds within 10 metres - free kick. Goes out from a kick, free kick. You get 3 seconds to dispose of the ball from receiving it or tackled and it's a free. Less than 3 seconds, it's not. Sure in an ideal world intent works, but the umpires are a combination of biased and incompetent. Remove the ability for those to effect their decisions wherever possible. Make the rules black and white and everyone can see where they've stuffed up. Of course there'll still be plenty of places that remain open to interpretation, but minimise them!

Definitely a square up last night. I watched with some Melbourne supporters and almost felt bad for them.

We got a decent run last night but it had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game. Melbourne were terrible and we were good. Last week the game was in the balance at 3 qtr time.

Definitely a square up last night. I watched with some Melbourne supporters and almost felt bad for them.
The umpiring overall was fair last night. A few mistakes but I can't recall any obvious howlers. It just seemed like we were being favoured because we are used to being umpired against.

The umpiring overall was fair last night. A few mistakes but I can't recall any obvious howlers. It just seemed like we were being favoured because we are used to being umpired against.

Crazy, I felt there were more howlers last night than in most games I've seen. There were a couple that went against us, particularly in the first, and then there were a bunch that went our way in Q2-Q4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back