Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. If that is the rule why are throws paid, aren’t they just trying to dispose of the ball by hand, but failed?

Bloody joke.

And it's never paid to any of our guys when they miss a handpass on the first attempt. Rightly, but to see it not paid the other way and this kind of bullshit to justify it is infuriating.

Two rules that get me riled
*Footy buried underneath a pile of blokes. Unfortunate guy at the bottom has to mime intent to get the ball out using third rate theatrics. If not : HTB.
Just junk. Ball up pls!
* Dougal Howard thumps the ball out of bounds with a resounding overhead punch and obvious intent. Throw in please. Contrast that with a defender hacking the ball out with a 50m grubber while under pressure. Ball bobbles around and rolls OOB. Umpire: Let me use predictive artistic licence to assess the awarding of a free. Well maybe, but which is more obvious?

And I forgot my third gripe:
There used to be a rule about blocking opponents if the ball was outside of 5m from a contest. Does it still exist?

The rules need a huge overhaul.
Any game that requires so much ‘interpretation’ will never be fair and is open to corruption.

Any game that requires so much ‘interpretation’ will never be fair and is open to corruption.

It's a feature, not a bug.

Three I'd change would be:
  • I'd take OOB as simply 'If it moves at least 15 towards your goal, it's all good, if not it's a free'. Irrespective if by hand, foot or a player pretending its soccer and using their head. Cuts out it just being thumped over the boundary line repeatedly by rucks, but I wouldn't mind if a player kicks it 50 metres down the line and out as no one is there and it is a thrown in.
  • Holding the ball as a player has 3 seconds from getting, if tackled before that ball up, if after a free.
  • Rushed behind - if from the goal square all fine, if outside the goal square a free to the opposition. If a team keeps walking it through, then play a forward on a defender, not 100 metres up the ground.

In theory intent in all cases is better, but even if we weren't often on the wrong end of these (we are), the way it changes across matches, rounds and even within matches is farcical at best, easily open to manipulation, either for financial gain or a desired result.

Agreed. Less rules. Simple interpretations. It’s all the add on upon add on of rules which make it hard. It’s actually unfair on the umpires.

It’s what Government managers do by making beurocracy really complex and loving it, to preserve their jobs at the top of the tree, and no one else understands.

Today’s gripe for me is the AFL was hell bent on reducing congestion, so they created starting positions, but at the same time made nominations for ruckman, which was counter productive. How slow stoppages take is the biggest issue for congestion than anything.

- boundary umpires should just run with balls and chuck them in straight away. Too bad if a ruckman doesn’t get there. It will stop them sitting behind the ball, rather forcing them to stay in the centre of the ground.

- deliberate out of bounds did not need to be so hard core if above was the case. Or just make it for everything, including spoils, ruckman being defensive or kick ins when a player has run out of the square.

- get rid of ruck nominations all together rather pay a free kick if two players of the same team contest

- at a stoppage, the players must give the ball straight back to the umpire, or not impede the player giving the ball back to the umpire - or it is a free kick (like the rules around a 50m penalty).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

• I'd take OOB as simply 'If it moves at least 15 towards your goal, it's all good, if not it's a free'. Irrespective if by hand, foot or a player pretending its soccer and using their head. Cuts out it just being thumped over the boundary line repeatedly by rucks, but I wouldn't mind if a player kicks it 50 metres down the line and out as no one is there and it is a thrown in.
  • Holding the ball as a player has 3 seconds from getting, if tackled before that ball up, if after a free.
  • Rushed behind - if from the goal square all fine, if outside the goal square a free to the opposition. If a team keeps walking it through, then play a forward on a defender, not 100 metres up the ground.

In theory intent in all cases is better, but even if we weren't often on the wrong end of these (we are), the way it changes across matches, rounds and even within matches is farcical at best, easily open to manipulation, either for financial gain or a desired result.
Id also get rid of 'touching the post by a gnats arse = no goal', but I know that isn't popular.

What if we got rid of the goal square and we had a 25 arc.

This would have to be the only sport in the world that changes the rules and has so many grey areas within the rules. Umpires umpire differently week to week and different umpires have different interpretations. Even the ovals we play at are all different sizes.

Imagine if a tennis player had to put up with that.

jhgf.gif

I really loved it how Cam Smith in the NRL final called out the referee for his sof frees that he was giving Penrith. He was bold enough to verbalize what everyone feels - That the umpires/refs tend to go soft on one side for whatever reason. It might be some bias from being abused in the past by a player from a certain team, favouring the underdog, home crowd influence, etc. It is definitely there though.

Smith appeared to question the integrity of the officials when Jahrome Hughes was sin binned with nine minutes remaining in the game. “The last three or four penalties they have got is little very picky stuff and we have got nothing mate,” Smith said before Sutton gave Hughes his marching orders. “I get it, everyone wants an exciting finish. But we are just the same as them. Stop trying to pick little things out of our game to make an exciting finish.”

To anyone who doesn't think umpires are incompetent and/or corrupt, pull your head out of your arse, wipe the s**t from your eyes, and look at the world clearly.

Compare the pair.

Being corrupt doesn't just mean you take money for personal gain. It also means debasing something by making errors.

1621701213212.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the AFL will admit that as a blatant error - if so cost Dees at least
A point - what happens if you had bet on a draw?
The win stands so unless the betting agency thinks they can use it as a marketing ploy (which they may do as the amount of money bet on the draw was probably negligible) then you're s**t out of luck.

The non holding the ball just a min before that gave Walker the shot is the bigger story here - that’s a problem that’s been happening all year and should never have been let to play on.
It's at the point now where I look at it and I don't have a clue what holding the ball is any more. Was it correct, incorrect, who knows. The rule makes no sense and is completely inconsistent so when a tackle happens you just flip a coin and hope for the best.

It's at the point now where I look at it and I don't have a clue what holding the ball is any more. Was it correct, incorrect, who knows. The rule makes no sense and is completely inconsistent so when a tackle happens you just flip a coin and hope for the best.

Personally I think the AFL see letting the ball spill out, or be dropped in the tackle as a way of keeping the game moving.

The Geelong Non HTB call at Kardinia Park
No mark paid to Cameron at SCG
The crows deliberate at AO

The crows deliberate is probably the most blatant deliberate out of bounds ever and not paid.

All those non calls impacted the result of a game all in favour of the home team.

Holy sh*t I hadn't seen the Crows one! Thats some of the most gutless umpiring I've ever seen! Deliberate all day every day, even under the old rules.

Agreed, it was an absolutely gutless non decision that would have been paid as deliberate 100 times out of 100 in situations where the result of the game wasn't on the line, and it will be interesting to see where the officiating ump gets a gig next week, I suspect it may be in the VFL.

The above aside though I have a feeling the dees may not be as good as the 9 wins in a row suggested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back