Underrated players in the Premiership...

GoalsFrom50Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2003
Other Teams
Goons
Originally posted by Borgsta
They dont, they just like to talk crap. He will be a great player and it takes a while for every player to adapt.

And to the person who said that henry was wasted at Juventus, wasnt his original position as a winger (Not just Juve, but b4 that also). I thought that Wenger changed that. Whatever it was, it was definately the smartest move that Wenger has ever made.

No, Henry was always a striker before going to Juventus, it's just that at the time Juve had Del Piero and Pippo Inzaghi, so there wasn't a place for him up front.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Originally posted by GoalsFrom50Out
No, Henry was always a striker before going to Juventus, it's just that at the time Juve had Del Piero and Pippo Inzaghi, so there wasn't a place for him up front.

That's not strictly true, he'd been a striker as a youth player but as apro he'd been a winger, he was winger for France in the 1998 world cup.

The main problem he had at Juve was that he was put on the left which he wasn't used to & I think they also played 3 defenders so he was effectively a wing back rather than winger.

When he signed for Juve Wenger tried to sign him as well but for some reason Monaco wanted to sell him to Juve but Wenger phoned Henry up & said 'Don't worry if it doesn't work out for you there then there will always be a place for you here at Arsenal with me'
To me that was the master stroke, I'm sure when Henry was feeling undervalued by the coaches & fans at Juve he would have been thinking If I was at Highbury I'd be getting support & I'm sure it made him less inclined to dig in & make it work at Juve.

SkARkS_69

All Australian
Oct 10, 2002
Other Teams
Henry is a better striker that Van Nistlerooy, in an interview recently he was asked who he thought was bettr out of the 2?
His reply was well i had 23 goal assists to Ruud 2 last season, and both scored around the same amount of goals. Now you give me your answer.
Of course he is better, hes a champion.

Voice of Reason

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2001
Beach on Indian Ocean
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
Henry to Spurs?

Originally posted by DIPPER
When he signed for Juve Wenger tried to sign him as well but for some reason Monaco wanted to sell him to Juve but Wenger phoned Henry up & said 'Don't worry if it doesn't work out for you there then there will always be a place for you here at Arsenal with me'

To me that was the master stroke, I'm sure when Henry was feeling undervalued by the coaches & fans at Juve he would have been thinking If I was at Highbury I'd be getting support & I'm sure it made him less inclined to dig in & make it work at Juve.

I agree with all that - Henry is a magnificent player, in some respects one of the best I have ever seen (and believe me I've seen them all over 40+ years and the TV from before). His ability to run at pace while keeping the ball under control and score AND create goals is absolutely remarkable. It's almost impossible for a defender to maintain the concentration to control him for a full game, so he always gets a chance or three, then it's up to the 'keeper to pull out an amazing save.

Wenger did brilliantly to get him to Arsenal and has supported him through the odd difficult time (with sendings-off and the like) - a very impressive piece of man management.

(Meanwhile, up the road at N17........)

Originally posted by bobbity2
Watching the highlights show the other night, I was again impressed with Jensen from Charlton Athletic (so underrated I can't even remember his surname). This guy really seems to have a touch of class about everything he does. Set up one of their goals with a nice turn and terrific little ball to a teammate on the edge of the box. Also seem to recall him scoring a brilliant goal a couple of years ago when he showed great awareness and chipped the keeper (got a feeling it was in their 4-2 win over Arsenal at Highbury). Other contenders for underrated players?

Funny you should say that - he's the player I always think of first when a thread such as this crops up. If he could find some consistency he'd rightly claim a place in the (widely-regarded) top class category.

dees_best

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2003
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Demons/Liverpool/Victory
The following players are underrated IM0:
Dietmar Hamann
Claus Jensen
Solomon Olembe
Diego Forlan
Michael Silvestre
David Dunn
Patrick Berger
Sylvian Distin
Ray Parlour
Kolo Toure
James Beattie
Scott Parker
Shola Ameobi
Nolberto Solano
Brad Freidel
Dean Keily
Lucas Neill
Sylvian Legwinksi
Frank Quedru'e

Originally posted by dees_best
The following players are underrated IM0:

Didi Hamann - No. Was unwanted by Bayern who offloaded him to us and then he legged it to Merseyside to "play in Europe". When fit is a key man in the Liverpool and German midfields, shielding his back four and allowing Gerrard and Ballack to get forward.

Claus Jensen - Agreed 100%.

Salomon Olembe - Meh. Was a star of the future while at Nantes a few years ago and has been loaned out to Leeds from his current club, Marseille. Decent with a future, nothing more.

Diego Forlan - I and many others think he's rubbish. Hits and hopes with his shots rather than being a natural or talented finisher - and how many times have we seen him fluff his control or passing this season resulting in RVN shaking his head? This pantomime goblin would've been clogging around the Riverside where he belongs had Fergie not played a game of one-upmanship with his old assistant, Steve McClaren.

Mickael Silvestre - The Man United and France first team defender is under-rated? By who?

David Dunn - Don't think he's under-rated. Managed to have a personality clash and falling out with Graeme Souness at Blackburn just as it looked as if he was poised to become a genuine star. Has since moved to Birmingham where he is a creative spark but is yet to reach the highest the level. Young and promising.

Patrick Berger - The Czech winger/forward was a revelation following Euro 96 when he moved from Dortmund to Liverpool. After a promising start to his Merseyside career he was blighted by injuries and poor form and was offloaded to 'Arry's Pompey. He's still decent. Under-rated? Dunno. More of a faded star.

Sylvain Distin - The centrehalf chose Man City and a fatter paypacket over Newcastle United and Champions League football. While he is an honest defender who can play anywhere in a back-four, he is by no means a top-notch defender. Looked woeful in City's recent 0-3 demolitions at the hands of Leicester and Newcastle United. If Bobby really wanted to he could've kept him at SJP - says it all really.

Ray Parlour - Poor old Ray has been a fixture at Highbury for a decade or so, and has always been a nearly man during this time. His best season was in 97/98 where he had a career season for the Gunners but was overlooked by Glenda for the hop across the channel that summer. Under-rated, not sure. Has certainly always been considered a good but not great player who gives his all.

Kolo Toure - Has done a fine job as a makeshift centrehalf this term. While many had their doubts I think Kolo is starting to win them over...

James Beattie - Many many many fans and managers alike believed that JB's recent goal-laden season would turn out to be a flash in the pan this time around... only problem is he's still banging them in! And Sven has even started picking him again! Some are even calling him 'the next Shearer' (though mostly for the Saints link I'd wager)... under-rated?

Scott Parker - Charlton's jewel in the crown, coveted by Chelsea and considered a future England star. Under-rated?

Shola Ameobi - I'd tend to agree. Young Shola is all arms and legs and tends to score by nicking in behind the defence while they're confused as all hell ;) Is starting to notch a few goals now and has improved by a fair margin since his debut a few seasons ago. I'd say he is under-rated to a degree, but he is a recognised threat and England U21.

Nolberto Solano - Had been a fixture of the Newcastle lineup for years until his recent bustups with Sir Bobby over his longhauls to play for Peru, and of course the arrival of a muzzled Lee Bowyer. Everyone knows about his deadball and crossing ability.

Brad Freidel - Widely acknowledged to be the best keeper in the Premiership along with Carlo Cudicini in the past few years!

Dean Keily - Probably doesn't get as much credit as he deserves.

Lucas Neill - His career was going from strength to strength until that horror challenge on Jamie Carragher. Personally I believe him to be one of the best rightbacks in the Premiership as he can defend as well as get forward, but I may be slightly biased as I've always been a huge fan of his since his early Millwall days... probably not mentioned in the same breath as Carr, Neville, Finnan and others but should be.

Sylvain Legwinski - The 30 year old was an established first-teamer at French heavyweights Monaco and Bordeaux before joining the Mo Fayed revolution at Fulham. Acknowledged as one of Chris Coleman's chief threats.

Frank Queudrue - Solid fullback who has quelled his temper so far this season. Was marched no less than 3 times last season.

Originally posted by dyertribe
Sylvain Distin - The centrehalf chose Man City and a fatter paypacket over Newcastle United and Champions League football. While he is an honest defender who can play anywhere in a back-four, he is by no means a top-notch defender. Looked woeful in City's recent 0-3 demolitions at the hands of Leicester and Newcastle United. If Bobby really wanted to he could've kept him at SJP - says it all really.[/b]

One of the reasons he left Newcastle was because Bobby refused to play him in his preferred position. I am sure the money didn't hurt, but in the long run I'd have him over the more expensive Titus Bramble any day.

Having said all that he has been poor this season, and definately doesn't merit the underrated tag. Last year he would have been on my list, but it seems the captaincy has taken his game backwards. When on song, he can be a top-notch defender, hopefully we see him return to that before too long.

Moomba

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Re: Henry to Spurs?

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
I agree with all that - Henry is a magnificent player, in some respects one of the best I have ever seen (and believe me I've seen them all over 40+ years and the TV from before). His ability to run at pace while keeping the ball under control and score AND create goals is absolutely remarkable. It's almost impossible for a defender to maintain the concentration to control him for a full game, so he always gets a chance or three, then it's up to the 'keeper to pull out an amazing save.

Wenger did brilliantly to get him to Arsenal and has supported him through the odd difficult time (with sendings-off and the like) - a very impressive piece of man management.

(Meanwhile, up the road at N17........)

I don't know if it hurt to type all that but as a Scu.....err....gooner I appreciate it.:D

To be honest I think Henry is brilliant but I can be hyper critical & there's 2 parts to his agme that I don't think are as good as they could be.

The first is technically he could put himslef into the 6 yard box a bit more & try to force something to happen, like tap ins or god forbid a header or two.Could take a leaf out of RvN's book.

Secondly (& haven't seen it this season) occasionally when it's not going well for him & the team his body laguage isn't the best & he looks lethargic & develops a little chip on his shoulder & a quivery bottom lip & doesn't play with his normal intensity.

But I have to say these are slight things because for me he's the best player I've seen at Arsenal (has overtaken Bergkamp for me in the last year or 2).

Apparently he's due to win the world player of the year award soon(if reports can be believed) & to be honest I think he's a pretty deserving case.

BTW VoR is Henry better than Greavsie?

Voice of Reason

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2001
Beach on Indian Ocean
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
Re: Re: Henry to Spurs?

I don't know if it hurt to type all that but as a Scu.....err....gooner I appreciate it.:D

The first is technically he could put himslef into the 6 yard box a bit more & try to force something to happen, like tap ins or god forbid a header or two.Could take a leaf out of RvN's book.

Secondly (& haven't seen it this season) occasionally when it's not going well for him & the team his body laguage isn't the best & he looks lethargic & develops a little chip on his shoulder & a quivery bottom lip & doesn't play with his normal intensity.

Yes it hurt like hell.

On the crits:

1 Getting in closer - I don't think it's his job really and if he did try to do all that as well, I reckon it would damage his ability to be so creative and dangerous further out. The ideal would be to play a strike partner who could do that more often. But I guess what you say is fair enough.

2 Body language - in the past I would have agreed with you, but he's really won me over this year in that we don't seem to have to put up with it any more. He seems to be setting a much better example (mind you it's probably easier if you're winning - we'll see what happens if Arsenal lose a game in the Premiership!).

I don't do comparisons with different eras really - it's just too hard. Henry's weakness number one was Greavesie's greatest strength - the "easy" goal, passed into the net from close-in. But they are very different players playing very different games and it would be unfair to compare them.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Re: Re: Henry to Spurs?

Apparently he's due to win the world player of the year award soon(if reports can be believed) & to be honest I think he's a pretty deserving case.

I dunno he's up against Wiltord:D

But seriously Henry, Nedved, Nesta or Van Nistelrooy for me.

Back