Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this a unpopular opinion?

Has this year been a piss poor season??

To me this season has never got going.

It is like its round four and we are coming to the end and its a big yeah nah.

It seems like the AFL season is going into the whatever basket.

I think I am more interested in watching the twos of Richmond and I do not even live in Victoria

Is there anything interesting to come out this AFL season yet?

Maybe its just there are too many teams so not enough are getting going apart from a bit of see sawing

Whether it’s Wimbledon or toorak, it’s a suburb not a village. A village is where your second country cottage is, probably displacing the original inhabitants who can’t afford it any more

I think it is time to let North Melbourne go.

They simply will never be strong enough.

Call time and give Tassie the license

Nobody likes to say it or hear it but more support for North is flogging a dead horse metaphorically if not literally.

I think of other clubs facing the chop over the years and frankly I cannot see enough will from stakeholders to forge the hope to ever get them to rise up as a formidable force.

Even when North where contenders in the 1990's their supporter base was not strong enough

From starting Friday nights north are forever struggling, so they must be struggling for a reason, just not going to happen, it is simply not feasible.

They should have done a South Melbourne or Fitzroy when they had the chance. They are weaker than Fitzroy wehen they where cut by the looks of it

If there was a bottomless pit of bird poo on Nauru, and the bottom didn’t drop out of the market,, we might still have Fitzroy.

So let’s say north move or merge, we just move onto another club and say there no future?

Also remember Oakley and co deliberately ran down clubs and venues by stymining their innovation in order to progress thir ‘urge to merge’
It was an absolute scandal an administration deliberately running down its fabric

I'll cop it for this, but Collingwood are no where near at the level that their win/loss record and ladder position suggests.

The most consistent thing they've done is snatch the close games from the jaws of defeat.

Fell over the line against an undermanned Carlton.
Played 1 quarter and beat the worst side since 96 Fitzroy.
Beat Hawthorn after giving up a 5 goal lead. Two easy Hawk misses would have seen Collingwood 3 goals down during the final quarter.
50/50 game against Gold Coast that the Suns really shouldn't have given up.

The wins against Fremantle and Melbourne were quality and I won't take away from those.

The losses against West Coast and the Bulldogs were more what I expected from the Pies this season.

Their percentage of 106% tells a bigger tale. If any 2 of those matches I listed resulted in losses then they're out of the 8 right now.

It must be a great ride for supporters, but I have this nagging feeling that they could easily miss finals from here, or get completely blown off the park in an elimination final if they make it.

A bit of a Hawthorn 2018 and Essendon 2021 feel about them at the minute.

I don’t know if this is unpopular but I’ve seen a lot of people whinging about the umpiring of this one.

David Mundy’s handball last night was completely legal. The rules only say that you must hit the ball with a clenched fist out of the other hand. Doesn’t say anything about how you must do it.

I'll cop it for this, but Collingwood are no where near at the level that their win/loss record and ladder position suggests.

The most consistent thing they've done is snatch the close games from the jaws of defeat.

Fell over the line against an undermanned Carlton.
Played 1 quarter and beat the worst side since 96 Fitzroy.
Beat Hawthorn after giving up a 5 goal lead. Two easy Hawk misses would have seen Collingwood 3 goals down during the final quarter.
50/50 game against Gold Coast that the Suns really shouldn't have given up.

The wins against Fremantle and Melbourne were quality and I won't take away from those.

The losses against West Coast and the Bulldogs were more what I expected from the Pies this season.

Their percentage of 106% tells a bigger tale. If any 2 of those matches I listed resulted in losses then they're out of the 8 right now.

It must be a great ride for supporters, but I have this nagging feeling that they could easily miss finals from here, or get completely blown off the park in an elimination final if they make it.

A bit of a Hawthorn 2018 and Essendon 2021 feel about them at the minute.

I agree. I don't think they are much better than say Gold Coast (and their close game they had recently would suggest that). The only difference is that Gold Coast has lost most of their close ones and Collingwood hasn't. History suggests that teams who win a lot of close games get found out in Finals. Having said that, they have clearly done much better than 90% of people had anticipated, even if you take out a lot of those close wins. Also winning those close ones does suggest a certain amount of composure and belief that will help out long term. So its a good/bad thing, but I don't see them doing much in the finals no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is maybe more relevant to Collingwood supporters than footy fans as a whole, but Scott Pendlebury's decision to kick to Moore was not a genius move by a sublime footballer. It was a run-of-the-mill play designed to counter a simple norm.

Sure, he's a champion who makes time stand still, but the mayo put on the play by various fans and media people is just a tad hyperbolic.

This is maybe more relevant to Collingwood supporters than footy fans as a whole, but Scott Pendlebury's decision to kick to Moore was not a genius move by a sublime footballer. It was a run-of-the-mill play designed to counter a simple norm.

Sure, he's a champion who makes time stand still, but the mayo put on the play by various fans and media people is just a tad hyperbolic.
Not to mention the defensive set up from Essendon was bordering on pathetic. It was a good kick but Moore simply saw the space, ran into it, and Pendles kicked it there, pretty basic footy that the Bombers really should have been able to prevent.

If the Gold Coast SUNS club song was done in the style of the Fable Singers like most traditional clubs, and lost the trumpet at the start, it would be within the top 5 of all clubs songs.
The giants didn't do it though, and they're a top 3 song. North are first, swans are second.

Once the Tassie licence comes back in, bring back Fitzroy, and the Brisbane Bears

Tassie lions. And merge brisbane and Gold Coast as ‘queensland bears’

When you think about it, the nsw and qld rivalries are pathetic, ten years in

The supporters that stay until full time and hold some superiority complex over a fan who decides to leave with 10 minutes to go are annoying and ridiculous.

You aren’t any more of a fan just because you stay until full time.
Becoming used to the new Hawthorn reality?

Jack Steele was just as much of a liability as Max King last night.

He is an inspirational leader and a joy to watch but in the second half last night he had zero desire to impact the contest. His side is playing for a spot in September and he spent the entire last quarter with the game on the line jogging up and down the wings avoiding the drop zone.

I'd have to think he's injured or sick, otherwise I don't know what excuse he'd have for that performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back